Hypoglycemia + Weight Loss

Options
Are there any others out there that have hypoglycemia? If so, as you have lost weight, are you experiencing more hypoglycemic reactions?

I have had hypoglycemia for about 7 years now, and when I am thinner, I tend to have more of the "oh no, I'm about to pass out" episodes. I have lost 10 lbs now and just entered into the 130s (yay!), and the day that I did I had my first passing out phase that I have had in literally months. I was pretty disappointed by this, because I have been doing good with my weight loss in the couple months I've been doing it, and don't want to experience those reactions just because I am thinner. I try to eat snacks every few hours between meals so my blood sugar doesn't get low. Overall, I'm hoping it's not because my body is saying it wants a few more lbs on it!!

Anyone else have these experiences?

Replies

• megz4987
    megz4987 Posts: 1,008 Member
    Options
    I have never been diagnosed withhypoglycemia but I do think I have it. I have to keep something with a bit of sugar in it (quaker chewy granola bars are good for it) when I start feeling faint. Maybe check with your doctor, they would have better suggestions than most of us (especially me haha)
  • Ashley_Panda
    Ashley_Panda Posts: 1,404 Member
    Options
    I'm hypoglycemic and I'm having a really hard time with it today. I've been shaking for hours. Ugh.
    I usually keep oranges and stuff with me. But I have noticed the thinner I get the harder it is for me to keep it under control.
  • Lleldiranne
    Lleldiranne Posts: 5,516 Member
    Options
    I get those feelings from time to time, though no official diagnosis. Try keeping a nutrigrain bar in your purse. They aren't high in calories, have enough carbs to hold you over, and are a good source of calcium and some other nutrients.
  • megz4987
    megz4987 Posts: 1,008 Member
    Options
    http://www.medicinenet.com/hypoglycemia/page3.htm: "The acute management of hypoglycemia involves the rapid delivery of a source of easily absorbed sugar. Regular soda, juice, lifesavers, table sugar, and the like are good options. In general, 15 grams of glucose is the dose that is given, followed by an assessment of symptoms and a blood glucose check if possible. If after 10 minutes there is no improvement, another 10-15 grams should be given. This can be repeated up to three times. At that point, the patient should be considered as not responding to the therapy and an ambulance should be called.

The equivalency of 10-15 grams of glucose (approximate servings) are:

•Four lifesavers
    •4 teaspoons of sugar
    •1/2 can of regular soda or juice
    "
  • icerose137
    icerose137 Posts: 318 Member
    Options
    Hypoglycemia can be just as dangerous as diabetes. If your sugar gets too low you can go into a sugar coma just like a diabetic. Eat a solid protein and complex carbs with every single meal. Break your meals into 6 smaller ones instead of 3 big ones. Make sure you have protein and fiber because it slows the absorption and helps level out your blood sugar over a period of time rather than going through quick rises and quick crashes.

If your symptoms continue or worsen see a doctor. This isn't something to mess around with. Some hypoglycemics can manage their condition via diet but others have to go on what amounts to sugar shots. You're also at a risk of turning diabetic if your hypoglycemia remains unchecked. This is a serious health condition.
  • bmw4deb
    bmw4deb Posts: 1,325 Member
    Options
    Im diabetic I always keep the little bottle of glucose
    flavored tablets with me, kinda taste like a sweet tart
    you can get them at walmart for about $3,00. think
    there is 12 in a bottle
  • VidaMia
    VidaMia Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    See a doctor. Eat protein for less blood sugar fluctuations. Keep fruit handy for quick sugar spike if you get into trouble. I had a friend whose sister died of a hypoglycemic coma so please take this seriously. I too am hypoglycemic but control it this way.
  • Rowann
    Rowann Posts: 86
    Options
    http://www.medicinenet.com/hypoglycemia/page3.htm: "The acute management of hypoglycemia involves the rapid delivery of a source of easily absorbed sugar. Regular soda, juice, lifesavers, table sugar, and the like are good options. In general, 15 grams of glucose is the dose that is given, followed by an assessment of symptoms and a blood glucose check if possible. If after 10 minutes there is no improvement, another 10-15 grams should be given. This can be repeated up to three times. At that point, the patient should be considered as not responding to the therapy and an ambulance should be called.

The equivalency of 10-15 grams of glucose (approximate servings) are:

•Four lifesavers
    •4 teaspoons of sugar
    •1/2 can of regular soda or juice
    "

Once you've got the initial hypo under control you should also then be giving a source of complex carbohydrate to stop it all happening again 20minutes later as those simple/rapid carbs leave the blood stream.