Starvation mode prompt not making any sense to me!

annastacia10
annastacia10 Posts: 106
edited September 27 in Health and Weight Loss
I just do not get this starvation mode prompt AT ALL. Yesterday I ate all but 13 of my calories back, this includes what I was alotted for exercise and I got that starvation mode prompt. Today, due to circumstances at work, I wasn't able to eat as much during the day. I then worked out after I got home, ate a good dinner and a protein shake after my workout. My daily calorie goal is set at 1200 cals and I burned 450 in exercise. By the time I was done cooking, eating and cleaning up, it was 8 at night. Still had a yogurt for a snack. Closed out my diary and it said I would weigh 132 pounds in five weeks (I am currently hovering at 139-140 and have ten pounds to go until goal). No starvation mode prompt when I closed my diary tonight. But my food calories were at 1308 and my net only at 858. Why did I get the starvation mode prompt yesterday, with only 13 calories remaining and not today with 342 remaining?? I don't get it!

Replies

• It will pop up every time you go under 1200 (for everyone, not based on your specific goal) total calories, not net.
  • Justin741
    Justin741 Posts: 249 Member
    The prompt only comes up when your food intake is below 1200.
  • SenseAtional
    SenseAtional Posts: 134
    You'll get the prompt any time you're under 1200 calories. Mine is set at 1200 calories as well. I try to get to 1201 every day regardless of whether I work out. If you don't work out and you get to 1201, it'll tell you you went over your calories. If you do work out and hit 1201, it'll tell you you were under your calorie goal. Basically, there shouldn't ever be a day where you consume less than 1200 calories.
  • annastacia10
    My food intake was below 1200 yesterday and today, but it only gave me the prompt yesterday when I was even closer to my calorie goal than today. ????
  • marybecker
    marybecker Posts: 8 Member
    As long as you eat at least 1200 calories you will not get the starvation prompt. Even if you earn more calories through exercise, it only considers your goal of 1200 calories when calculating the calories needed to avoid the starvation prompt.

If you earn more calories due to excercise, you can still hit your calorie intake goal even if you go over 1200 calories, but you can't go under 1200.
  • SouthernBell86
    SouthernBell86 Posts: 275 Member
    I think out of recognition that a lot of people are doing a lot of different plans they don't give the prompt if your net calories are low. It is just a strict 1200 calorie line, which as controversial as it is, does tend to be the number a lot of physicians will tell you not to go under. Probably it is a part of their effort to avoid any potential lawsuits - if someone is eating crazy and then ends up in the hospital because of it, MFP can say that they gave the person warnings when they were eating below the medically recognized minimum amount.
  • ladyhawk00
    ladyhawk00 Posts: 2,457 Member
    MFP uses an intake lower limit of 1200; that is the minimum recommended by health experts for the average woman to receive adequate nutrition. So the warning is set to appear at 1200 actual intake. There isn't (at this time) any way to trigger the warning according to net calories. And the lower limit for men is actually 1500.

Obviously, 13 under is no big deal. Within about 100 of goal, either over OR under is fine. As for net, it is best to ensure net stays above 1200, and ideally it should match your initial daily goal.

Some threads that might help:

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/186814-some-mfp-basics

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/61706-guide-to-calorie-deficits

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/230930-starvation-mode-how-it-works

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/188509-my-take-on-exercise-calories-please-read-if-you-are-new
  • Kellee_76
    Kellee_76 Posts: 91
    You can *net* fewer than 1200 calories (calories consumed minus calories burned) but you have to eat at least 1200 calories not to get that starvation mode prompt. The American Dietetic Association (ADA) recommends never eating fewer than 1200 calories for women (or 1800 for men).
  • annastacia10
    Ok guys, I think I get it now, it just seems this has happened several times to me before where I was below my actual goal of 1200 calories with or without exercise and the prompt sometimes comes up and sometimes doesn't. There have been times when I was sure I would get the "Naughty you aren't eating enough prompt" and haven't and then sometimes when I feel I have done everything right that I do get it. I appreciate the help in understanding this!
  • annastacia10
    Thank you those threads will help me understand this better. I don't want to hinder my weight loss in any way and I am trying to do it the healthy way.
This discussion has been closed.