interval training

Colfiii
Colfiii Posts: 124 Member
edited September 27 in Fitness and Exercise
hi ,

I just found out recently about the notion of 'interval training' . I alternated the intensity of my running for 2 days between very hard and very easy and I went out of a plateau I was in and also lost ( can't believe it actually ) 2 pounds in more or less 2 days.
I don't know too much about this but I see it works great for me and I want to ask, those of u that do interval training rather than the 'traditional' training what u think about it ? Is it working indeed so well to burn fat ? Could you give me some advice/ links to read more of how to train ? Any information on the topic 'interval training' would be actually very wellcome ( including what is actually high intensity - like 185 heart rate etc ? ) .Is there such a notion for weights too ? Can one do 'interval training' with weights ?
thanks very much

Replies

• lisanorth
    lisanorth Posts: 3
    Interval training is a fantastic way to train your heart, overall fitness level, and facilitate weight loss. You definitely can do interval training with weights - would be called circuit training. Keep in mind this is a cardiovascular and endurance workout - as opposed to training for strength/muscle growth. An example of interval style training with wieghts would be to pick a group of 4-6 or more exercises, for example:

Dumbell Step Ups 15-20 reps per leg
    DB Chest Press 12-15 reps
    DB Lunges 12-15 reps per leg
    DB Prone Row 12-15 reps

Do each exercise consecutively with no rest (your heart should be pumping at end of cirucit) and then rest till heart rate goes down for 1-2 minutes after your circuit is completed.Repeat the circuit 2-4 times. If you want to "increase" the intensity of each interval, increase your weights or the speed at which you perform the movement over the course of your sets. (ie. use 10lbs first set, 12 on second, and 15 lbs on 3rd). Once you've finished your sets, pick another group of exercises and follow the same protocol. Usually if you have 2 -3 groups of exercises, you will end up with a 45-60 minute session - which is optimal..though a really intense 30 minute sesison will do the trick if you dont' have a lot of time.

OR you could pick a larger group of let's say, 10 exercises. Perform each exercise for a 45-90 seconds, and rest for 30-45 seconds between each exercise. When you complete the circuit, rest 2-3 minutes, and then repeat 1-2 more times, depending on your fitness level.

Remember, though, strength training is important too, as dense, strong muscles burn more energy at rest than smaller, weaker muscles. Stronger, larger muscles will help your body stay leaner...it really helps to maintain weight loss permanently. Don't give up strenght training altogether - but incorporate interval training sessions for cardiovascular fitness, and make sure to include at least one or two full body strength building sessions into your regime (weight training with heaveir weights and 8-12 reps). Don't be afraid of strength training- you won't end up looking like a man unless you train like a maniac, eat like a bodybuilder and supplement like a bodybuilder.

A great Interval training resource, and worth the small price is Craig Ballantyne's Turbulance Training ebook.. Check him out on YouTube, or his blog or website (not sure if I am allowed to post them as it might be considered advertising, but you can google him and you will find all the resources). A lot of his workouts are bodyweight, meaning you don't need equipment to do them, and they are really effective.

Have fun!!! Good luck.

Lisa.
This discussion has been closed.