Summer of Change: Student Edition (New Group)

Options

Replies

• ilikeowls
    ilikeowls Posts: 21
    Options
    Hey, this seems like a good idea. I'll be graduating in July but working at the university until September, so I hope I can still join in!

I used to be very fit and healthy, and then university with it's long hours of studying and drinking and eating...you know the rest. But now I'm a bit of a gym bunny again, and starting to build up my resistance and circuit training to maximise my health.

Name: Charlotte
    Major/minor: Law, we don't get to do minors, just law from day one =[
    Why you want to join this group?: Some support and challenges and to see if I can help others reach their goal
    Goals for summer: Get down to 140 at least and then continue dropping and getting healthier. I'm going to a wedding in Denmark in July, so I want to be in the best shape I can be for that too.
    SW: 164
    CW:159
    GW (for August 30th): 135-140
    Any suggestions/comments: It'll hopefully be a good motivational tool.
  • kayladiane5
    kayladiane5 Posts: 94
    Options
    Hey everyone! We have about 23 people right now. If we made it to 30 that would be great. But the more the merrier! I'm going to read over your suggestions again and try and tweak the challenges I have made for the next few weeks to relate to them. This is our group, so lets fit everyone's needs (as best we can) and push through this together.
    Good luck everyone today :)
  • absie107
    absie107 Posts: 290
    Options
    I have a few suggestions for challenges! :-)

- Do something active every single day of the week for (at least) 20-30 minutes for a week or something
    - A health 'scavenger hunt' where the things on the list are like... try one new recipe, get involved in discussions on the message boards, try a new way to relieve stress, etc.
    - Find at least one alternative for a more processed food (whether that be a recipe or another food) - for example - making your own trail mix at home as opposed to sugary energy bars; half a banana with natural peanut butter as opposed to a 100 calorie pack of something or other (that's my personal values coming through though... processed food isn't my favorite...)
  • AwkwardPumpkin
    AwkwardPumpkin Posts: 60 Member
    Options
    Another idea for a challenge might be like "burn x many calories" in a week or something. I always find those motivating.
  • sweetage123
    sweetage123 Posts: 100 Member
    Options
    I have a few suggestions for challenges! :-)

- Do something active every single day of the week for (at least) 20-30 minutes for a week or something
    - A health 'scavenger hunt' where the things on the list are like... try one new recipe, get involved in discussions on the message boards, try a new way to relieve stress, etc.
    - Find at least one alternative for a more processed food (whether that be a recipe or another food) - for example - making your own trail mix at home as opposed to sugary energy bars; half a banana with natural peanut butter as opposed to a 100 calorie pack of something or other (that's my personal values coming through though... processed food isn't my favorite...)

These are really creative!
  • MelL1205
    MelL1205 Posts: 1,200 Member
    Options
    OHHHH! Can I join too? :-)

I just graduated on Friday but I started grad school today!

Name: Mel
    Major/minor: Mathematics & Special Education
    Why you want to join this group?: I NEED accountability!
    Goals for summer: Hopefully lose 20 pounds! My final goal weight is 150, but I gained 10 pesky pounds this semester and want to take them off (+ 10 more!)
    SW: 190
    CW:190
    GW (for August 30th): 170!
    Any suggestions/comments: hmm... not at the moment!
  • alexandrarae90
    alexandrarae90 Posts: 61 Member
    Options
    Name: Alex
    Major/minor: English/Writing
    Why you want to join this group?: I was having trouble finding a group I could relate to as well. I really like having a community with people around my age for support and motivation :)
    Goals for summer: Definitely lose weight so that I feel better about myself and my back will hurt less.
    SW: 220
    CW: 240
    GW (for August 30th): 220
    Any suggestions/comments: When reading how much people weight I ALWAYS wonder how tall they are too. I am 5'9". It seems easier to relate to someone if they have they're around the same height and weight as me.
  • kayladiane5
    Options
    Thanks for all of your suggestions. I got everyone accounted for. Make sure everyone adds me as a friend so I can send out a mass message about the group. I will also post the information in the first week's thread too.. And you could also message me if you have any questions.
    There's only about 2 more hours to sign up! After midnight, I will post this weeks challenge and we can get the ball rolling. The first week is crucial, so everyone has gotta stay active and participate. Once we get the first week rolling, then we can def build the challenges and start really focusing on our goals.
  • Sarac715
    Sarac715 Posts: 55 Member
    Options
    Hey all!

I hope its not too late to join, this group seems perfect for me!

Name: Sara
    Major/minor: Public Administration (grad school)
    Why you want to join this group?: Support! A lot of group members seem to be around the same weight I am/have the same goal weight. I also saw a lot of Poli Sci and majors similar to that, which was my undergrad major! So basically, it seems like I've got a lot in common with a lot of people in the group!
    Goals for summer: To stick with riding my bike to work 3 days a week, especially when it gets super hot! (on Thursdays I plan on driving so I can go to kettlebells at the gym right after work, which isn't exactly in biking distance) and to be confident enough to wear a bikini!
    SW: 150
    CW: 148? (not sure how reliable my new scale is)
    GW (for August 30th): 135 (joined the harry potter challenge any my goal for that is 140 by the movie release, July 15 which is also my birthday!)
    Any suggestions/comments: Feel free to add me! I think I only have one friend on here :( I think a fun challenge would be to create and post workout playlists and vote on the best one? Not completely workout related, but maybe some new playlists might motivate us more during out workouts!
  • bcpie
    bcpie Posts: 89
    Options
    Name: Alex!
    Major/minor: completely undecided
    Why you want to join this group?: I want to make a wonderful group of friends all working towards the same goal. :)
    Goals for summer: couch to 5k. i want to be tooooned
    SW: 207
    CW: unfortunately unknown ): around 200, in a week i'll be back home where a scale is available
    GW (for August 30th): 175
    Any suggestions/comments: I am very excited to join this group and can't wait for a successful summer. oh, and i'm 5'10".

ALSO, i'm going through and adding people but it's getting tiring so feel free to add me!
  • misjesica
    misjesica Posts: 21
    Options
    This looks awesome! I'm so excited (:

Name: Jessica
    Major/minor: Multimedia Journalism/Human Rights and Social Justice
    Why you want to join this group?: It would be great to get some motivation and support from people my age!
    Goals for summer: I want to look great in my bathing suit by mid-summer, and have more confidence in myself.
    SW: 145.7
    CW: 143
    GW (for August 30th): 130
    Any suggestions/comments: Feel free to add me to your friends on MFP :D
  • whiskyzee
    whiskyzee Posts: 102 Member
    Options
    I'd love to join! Are grad students welcome? Here are my stats, in case you'll let me play:

Name: whiskyzee
    Major/minor: PhD English Lit.
    Why you want to join this group?: I need a little competition and support from people who understand the struggles of healthy living in college (have you ever seen the typical grad student's schedule?!)
    Goals for summer: Develop healthy habits that will carry me through the school year, get ready for a big move to a new school in a warm climate, gain a little more self-confidence so that I don't always feel like I'm faking my life, beat my fastest 10k time, finally finish War and Peace (discipline is discipline, right?)
    SW: 148
    CW: 144
    GW (for August 30th): 130-135 (never been below 140--not sure what my healthiest weight is)
    Any suggestions/comments:

war and peace? how long have u been working on it?
    lol that used to be one of my goals at some point in life. that, and anna karenina, uncle tom's cabin, canterbury tales & crime and punishment. i decided getting healthy and losing some weight would be a more feasible goal lol.

Every summer, I claim I'm going to do it (really, it's just a matter of pride), but since it's not related to my specialization, I never get to it!
  • GvMeSmthn2Lstn2
    Options
    Awesome! Love this idea!

Ansley

21 (almost)

Majoring in Graphic Design and Digital Art, Minoring in Art History

I want to really push myself this summer and conquer my weight issues!!

My goal is to reach.come close to my recommended weight range

SW: 210lb

CW: 178.5lb

GW: 150lb
  • kayladiane5
    Options

Why you want to join this group?: It would be great to get some motivation and support from people my age!
    Goals for summer: I want to look great in my bathing suit by mid-summer, and have more confidence in myself.

Human Rights and Social Justice sounds like such an awesome program.
  • misjesica
    misjesica Posts: 21
    Options

Human Rights and Social Justice sounds like such an awesome program.

It's amazing! I love it (: It's really changed how I see the world.
  • caitiecait
    caitiecait Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    Oh! I wanna do this.

Name: Cait
    Major/minor: English Literature/Women's Studies
    Why you want to join this group?: It would be nice to have people who are in the same age range to connect with.
    Goals for summer: I'm aiming to get healthy. I want to see if that has any effect on old rugby injuries I have. And if it they get better I'd like to play next summer.
    SW: 202(ish)
    CW: (I don't own a scale and just started about a week ago)
    GW (for August 30th): 180
  • imfittted
    imfittted Posts: 73 Member
    Options
    Name: Brittany
    Major/minor: Business Finance & Accounting
    Why you want to join this group?: To have some people more my age to talk to.
    Goals for summer: Flat stomach, lose my love handles, tone muscles, look good in my swim suit! I also want to get back into running shape and in the habit of running/ working out basically everyday. I am graduating in August and I am hoping that I will be able to keep working out as a part of my after work routine.
    SW: 155
    CW: 152
    GW (for August 30th): 140ish
  • kayladiane5
    Options
    Ok, so I am offically closing the group off now. We have 31 members, which I think is a great number. Try and add everyone to the group if you can. I am going to try mass messaging people if I can, if not, I'm posting all of the information into a post to let this next week begin.
  • newkay
    newkay Posts: 20
    Options
    i can see the spreadsheet! woohoo.. your dedication to this is awesome. lol im so excited, this will be a great motivator. the only suggestion i have is if you could include a section of % lost, that would be kick *kitten*. they do it on all those shows like biggest loser.. maybe we could make a little competition out of it.. all for fun, of course. (and we're obviously not about to boot someone off the island!)
    im terrible with spreadsheets and that junk, so if thats really difficult to figure out, no big deal at allll. just throwin the idea out there :)

thanks, this is perfect. :):)
  • grosa117
    grosa117 Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    Name: Geraldine Rosario
    Major/minor: Childhood Education
    Why you want to join this group?: Motivation/Support
    Goals for summer: Reach my goal!
    SW: 153
    CW: 142.9