Totally need some encouragement

Options
So I started using MFP again back at the very end of January. I have been doing pretty good for the entire time but now I'm getting frustrated. I keep tryIng to get people to workout with me but I keep getting turned down. So it is just me working out alone all the time.

Since I hit my first goal last week of hitting 190 from a beefy 250, I have been really unmotivated to push myself further. I think I just need to vent but at the same time I want still to find a friend to hang out with and get a good sweat on. I used to do group workouts with friends and really liked it but I can't do it with them anymore and they were the only friends interested in working out with me.

So I just need a reason to continue going forward. I think I am just having a lousy week because I pulled a leg muscle and don't like waiting around to heal but once I feel better I want to start on strength training. So does anyone have suggestions that worked for them to stay motivated? Any advice to make my workouts more interesting?

Replies

• achampionsheart
    achampionsheart Posts: 1,020 Member
    Options
    i will be glad to encourage you....this site is great, and i love working out with others but seems like they re busy or life happens and interferes with plans.....i will add you and be your friend
  • slapshotgolf
    slapshotgolf Posts: 163 Member
    Options
    Have you thought about playing some team sports - something with a high work rate and calorie burn like soccer or basketball?
  • bunnysone
    bunnysone Posts: 486 Member
    Options
    happy to put you through some challenges and train "with you" if you want! Training with an MFP group and keeping up with them is big motivation for me!
  • bonniecameron68
    Options
    I know what you mean about not being motivated enough on our own. I am sooo lucky I found a group of ladies that love to work out so they push me. you should look for a group that you can join, like a mountain biking group or a running group etc that way you get to meet people who are into working out like you. I signed up for a triathlon to get me motivated to train, it is great having a goal. good luck and you will find some one or a few pals to work out with you just have to get out there!
  • jenilla1
    jenilla1 Posts: 11,118 Member
    Options
    You have the best reason to keep going - YOU! Look at your before and after photos to keep motivated. You've lost a lot of weight and you should be proud of yourself. I suspect that part of why you're feeling down and frustrated is because of your injury. When I injured my knee running several years ago (and I had to wait months to heal) I became quite depressed, so I think I know how you're feeling. If you are used to exercising and then you suddenly can't, you aren't getting those lovely endorphins (natural high) anymore. Is there an alternative exercise you can do while you are healing? That might help. As far as needing friends to work out with, I can't help you there. I've never liked a crowd - all of my cross-country running was solo. I enjoy the gym with my husband, but I would also be ok all by myself. Since you are a social person, maybe you could try signing up for some exercise classes - at a gym, local community college, etc...Good luck and DON'T give up! :heart:

P.S. Strength training = good stuff. I've had no running injuries since starting it 2 years ago.
  • P90XCertifiedCoach
    Options
    Come on Buddy ...Pull up that Skirt You can do this LOL. I know what ya mean I have no one to work out with either, so I take my dogs. Congrats on teh weight loss
  • hope007
    hope007 Posts: 8
    Options
    Honestly the best advice anyone can give you is to look for the motivation inside yourself. I was looking at your profile and you've done an amazing job at loosing weight. I know it gets tougher once you really start to the change because you feel like you've accomplished what you wanted which is essentially have a stead weighloss. I know this from personal experiences, and excuse me if i'm putting words in your mouth but honestly that's what has helped me to get back on track. I have dieted for so long i know the rollercoaster quite well, but now that i've lost 50lbs I'm begining to realize that just because you've a achieved a goal doesn't mean you can relax. Once you've reached a goal set up three more. Obviously not big ones that you feel overwhelmed, small ones so you can see your small victories. :] Don't worry you'll get there :] Add me if you need any advice and support. :]
  • MoonShadow_1au
    MoonShadow_1au Posts: 149 Member
    Options
    We all get a down time, and injury is just an excuse for it. Glad you are hear looking for encouragement to get around this.

You have to keep moving, don't let the injury dictate what you cannot do, just work that area easier but keep it moving (I am not a doctor - if it hurts dont do it), work out what you can do. If things do not get better with the injury seek help (from someone qualified).

That is how I have gotten through shoulder, knee and hip injuries over the years. The last injury I had I fell of a stationary bike 8o and bruised my hip bone which took 3 months to heal properly, that took me out of the gym for two days, I was well and truely back beffor doctors had me scanned to find the brusing .... they suggested pain killers !!

Anyway you have taken the first step, now pelase report back on the next step (what you are ble to do). One step at a time :)
  • anthonybc
    anthonybc Posts: 13
    Options
    First off I want to say thank you for all of your responses. It really helped to open my mind up to some new ideas.

I started exercising to just lose weigh and look better but as I continued I wanted it to become a healthy lifestyle. So I took up running and biking as well as some p90x to really melt the fat. I just noticed that the more active I was the more my friends and family let me do my own thing and left me alone. But with your suggestions I am considering starting a small running club on the weekends to meet people. I would take some fitness class at college but my class schedule is pretty full as is so I don't know if I can fit one in right now.

As far as injury goes it is small, almost negligible. The tendons and muscles feel sore and overworked so whenever I bike, run, and sometimes walk it is pretty uncomfortable. It has been almost a week since I noticed it and I fiy decided to take it easy so I can heal faster and get back to my normal workouts. I try to take precautions whenever possible to avoid injury. About two and a half years ago I was at this weight but injured my back while at work. Had me out for months and once I felt like I could exercise again it wasn't the same and that was when I gained all my weight. From that point on things were just a downhill slide. It took a major life change to realize I needed to lose the weight no matter how painful the experience or unmotivated I was.

It helps to see there are people that are like minded. I would join a gym or get a personal trainer but can afford the extra expense right now. As far as shaking up my workouts, that is something I may need to do. I started running a half mile a night. Now I try to do long runs, with my furthest being 12 miles. I have set some new goals though, one was strength grainy to get down another ten pounds or so. I hope to lose the weight by Septrmber. A new goal I have been thinking about is training for a marathon. It always seemed impossible but now I feel like I can possibly fun one by the end of the year.

So that's my thought on things right now. Again thanks for your advice and motivational words. I think I just needed a pick me up after 5 months of solid training :)