I have a goal, I have a desire, I have a request.

Options
I think it would be cool to run a marathon. I am over weight, I am currently walking on the treadmill 15mins a day, because my feet start to hurt. I used to run 4 miles. 15mins to 26+ miles is a long way to go. It will take time obviously, I am estimating 2yrs. This will be my goal, anyone want to join me on this???

Specific date 11:30 haha oops thats the time not the date (looked at my watch). 5/16/13 So let me know if anyone is up for it, no whining, complaining, accepted.

Replies

• glendeb
    glendeb Posts: 129 Member
    Options
    My goal is to run/walk a half marathon next April, so I assume it will take me 2 years too.

I'm in :smile:
  • Elzecat
    Elzecat Posts: 2,916 Member
    Options
    I'm considering training to run/walk a 1/2 marathon in about 18 months...friend request sent!
  • dcerna62
    dcerna62 Posts: 45 Member
    Options
    If you have the option, try training on an elliptical. It won't hurt your feet as much as the treadmill.

If you have a smart phone or an ipod touch you should download the C25K app. It's a fun and somewhat easy way to train yourself to run a 5k. It's only 3 exercises a week and there isn't a huge jump on difficulty level week to week. My brother did it and just finished his 9 weeks. I just finished my first week. After the 9 weeks you could keep going by making up your own routine.
  • kristofferbas
    kristofferbas Posts: 101 Member
    Options
    Promised myself (and two friends) that I'm doing a halft marathon in Gothenburg, Sweden in exactly a year (this years edition is saturday this week). That should give me enough time training for it (only started exercising three months ago) :)

/k
  • kristofferbas
    kristofferbas Posts: 101 Member
    Options
    Oh, and I use Runkeeper for all my walks (hoping to start with running soon), and I will definitely sign up for a (or a couple) half marathon fitness classes on their website.

/k
  • registers
    registers Posts: 782 Member
    Options
    If you have the option, try training on an elliptical. It won't hurt your feet as much as the treadmill.

If you have a smart phone or an ipod touch you should download the C25K app. It's a fun and somewhat easy way to train yourself to run a 5k. It's only 3 exercises a week and there isn't a huge jump on difficulty level week to week. My brother did it and just finished his 9 weeks. I just finished my first week. After the 9 weeks you could keep going by making up your own routine.

Thanks Ill check it out. I am not NASM(National Association Of SPorts Medicine) certified, but I feel if I take the test, I can pass it. I know how this stuff works. But that would be a good program to keep you progressing, instead of logging everything on paper which can get very tedious. Thanks.
  • xXxKayleighxXx
    Options
    Great goal! Very realistic and achievable :)

I'm not going to lie and say i'll do a marathon. I did a 13 mile marathon a couple years ago and it nearly killed me. I was not in brilliant shape and i've never been a long distance runner, even when i was.

However, i am all for spending this year getting a good proportion of weight off and getting my fitness up so i might review the situation then and see if i've changed my mind lol.

Either way. I'm really pleased for you xx