totally ticked...long story....

Options
:explode: :explode: :mad: :mad: :explode: :explode: okay, here goes...june 2006 i started my new life.  at 220 pounds and 5foot8inches, i realized that something needed to change. I was a novice, so i started with P90, did the entire program and diet, and went down to 175 pounds in 90 days, and that was the beginning.  i started doing the turbo jam program, still stuck to the diet, and barely ever cheated except one day a month.  I lost another ten pounds.  then I became obsessed and started working out around three hours a day, still ate right, and plummetted to 150 pounds.  All of this happened over the course of six months, and for those that need a visual, I have a VERY large skeletal frame and a VERY athletic body, so at this weight, I looked close to emaciated.something happened.  i started drinking, heavily, refusing to battle with the fact that I hated my job because it sucked the life out of me.  i was drinking three 750ml bottle of whiskey or hard liquor a week (sometimes four).  i was smoking cigarettes as if it were my job, about half a pack a day, and was still working out like a maniac.  i would wake up from the night before hungover and work out, sweating out the alcohol...i have no idea how i did it, but then, something new came into my life. i started binging and purging.  i was like an addict machine, taking in any addictive action and discarding it as soon as i found it useless.  I went back up to 160 pounds.All of this was just happening and finally came to a halt by my own determination in January of this year.  I was about to become a first-time aunt, and i realized I had to be here for her in the future so i can teach her about how beautiful life really can be!   I became renewed, and happy, and started loving myself again. the only nasty habit i kept was the smoking, and i that wasn't too bad to me, considering all that i had just put behind me...this march was another turning point: i came down with acute chemical bronchitis, and spat up green for a week.  everything stopped for me.  i had to slow down, and couldn't exercise to save my life.  i started realizing that chilling here, eating a little there, slowing down was okay, and i enjoyed slowing down.  i ate what i wanted, but didn't overeat.  i actually started eating a vegan diet for three months, and i loved it!  and of course, as happens with me, i didn't start gaining weight but my body composition changed.  fat replaced lean muscles,

Replies

• cquick
    cquick Posts: 220
    Options
    :explode: :explode: :mad: :mad: :explode: :explode: okay, here goes...june 2006 i started my new life.  at 220 pounds and 5foot8inches, i realized that something needed to change. I was a novice, so i started with P90, did the entire program and diet, and went down to 175 pounds in 90 days, and that was the beginning.  i started doing the turbo jam program, still stuck to the diet, and barely ever cheated except one day a month.  I lost another ten pounds.  then I became obsessed and started working out around three hours a day, still ate right, and plummetted to 150 pounds.  All of this happened over the course of six months, and for those that need a visual, I have a VERY large skeletal frame and a VERY athletic body, so at this weight, I looked close to emaciated.something happened.  i started drinking, heavily, refusing to battle with the fact that I hated my job because it sucked the life out of me.  i was drinking three 750ml bottle of whiskey or hard liquor a week (sometimes four).  i was smoking cigarettes as if it were my job, about half a pack a day, and was still working out like a maniac.  i would wake up from the night before hungover and work out, sweating out the alcohol...i have no idea how i did it, but then, something new came into my life. i started binging and purging.  i was like an addict machine, taking in any addictive action and discarding it as soon as i found it useless.  I went back up to 160 pounds.All of this was just happening and finally came to a halt by my own determination in January of this year.  I was about to become a first-time aunt, and i realized I had to be here for her in the future so i can teach her about how beautiful life really can be!   I became renewed, and happy, and started loving myself again. the only nasty habit i kept was the smoking, and i that wasn't too bad to me, considering all that i had just put behind me...this march was another turning point: i came down with acute chemical bronchitis, and spat up green for a week.  everything stopped for me.  i had to slow down, and couldn't exercise to save my life.  i started realizing that chilling here, eating a little there, slowing down was okay, and i enjoyed slowing down.  i ate what i wanted, but didn't overeat.  i actually started eating a vegan diet for three months, and i loved it!  and of course, as happens with me, i didn't start gaining weight but my body composition changed.  fat replaced lean muscles,
  • cquick
    Options
    continuing thread, all....anyhow, i noticed about a month ago i didn't like what i saw, so i started weaning myself back onto meat (cheese, fish and some chicken )to spead up the lean muscle build. at that point, i also quit my job (thank the gods!!!) and focus completely on college now. a month ago, i discovered the big breakfast diet and really enjoy it! i eat a great amount in the morning and it keeps my hunger at bay all day! i consume 1200 calories, 97g of protein 94g carbs and 47g fat a day, and around 1500mg of sodium a day. i stopped smoking a week after, started exercising the next week, doing one day of weights, one day of cardio, while doing fat burning express each day...only taking a day off every five days.

now, this is where i get ticked....i started in at 160 pounds. two weeks after, slim to no cheating, i have gained SEVEN pounds. :sick: :explode: :mad: :noway: how? i've been drinking water only, doing everything right...:cry::cry: :cry: i'm just so sad...none of this makes any sense to me since i don't eat out or eat any processed foods...so sorry, but this is all i can think: what the bloody hell!!!

that's all...sorry, tmi, i know....

thanks guys....
  • RachVR6
    RachVR6 Posts: 3,688 Member
    Options
    Did you up your calorie intake from 1200cal when you put exercising back in?
  • cquick
    Options
    i've definitely tried, eating some more carbs or hummus, maybe an extra glass of soy milk...

one thing that is going on too, i'm so irregular...i'm one of that crazy hippie types that won't take any pills or processed remedies or laxatives and i don't drink milk or eat yogurt...i've been taking a low-level probiotic and a digestive enzyme...maybe i should just wait it out... i'm so friggin confused and irritated...
  • RachVR6
    RachVR6 Posts: 3,688 Member
    Options
    Have you been logging your food and exercise in here to see how far under your calories you are? If your body is in starvation mode, that might explain the weight gain.
  • Livi_Loves_Pink
    Options
    1200 seems very low to me for someone who is 5 foot 8.

I would seriously consider upping your cals a few hundred.
  • AJCM
    AJCM Posts: 2,169 Member
    Options
    Wow - you have quite a story. Your story does end at quite an amazing spot though - you STARTED your dieting journey at 220 lbs, and you are now 167 - that in itself is AMAZING!!!!! You have maintained a weight loss of 53 lbs. Incredible.

Maybe your metabolism needs a boost after you've put it through dieting, binging, etc. What about a morning and evening workout, and 6 small meals a day that total no less than 1200 cals?

What is your goal weight? If you are 167 now, and are close to your goal weight, you could/should take it slow (1 pound a week). I am also 5'8" and started this diet with a BMI of 26, and I was told by many MFP smarties that I needed to take it slow. I now have a BMI of 23, and it is REALLY slow going!

Hang in there, I think you've come so far. Don't let a measley 7lbs get you down! Btw... we are also organic/whole food eaters 90% of the time (myself, hubby, and two kids) and we eat what we call a "vegan + fish and chicken" diet - no eggs, no dairy, but yes, some lean meats. Organic/whole foods can be VERY caloric! Olive oil, beans, nuts - all good for you, but you have to really log them. I was eating a pretty clean diet when I started here, but the calories were too high (I would have an apply with almond butter and easily munch away 300 calories!).

Hope that helps and cheer up!
    :flowerforyou:
  • firegirlred
    firegirlred Posts: 674 Member
    Options
    Just let me say your story is amazing. Even with all the unhealthy behaviors, you recognized them and made the steps to get healthy again. You are amazing.

It seems that previous posters have pointed you in the right direction. I just wanted to tell you how impressed I am by you.

Rae
  • cquick
    Options
    i hate to say it, but i actually over compensate by about 100 calories a day and take it off later...and i nit pick about every single bit of food and drink that i put in my mouth...

aghh...i'm unbelievably frustrated....oh yeah, and the binging/purging i used to do to myself is longlonglong gone, i started going to overeaters anon in feb 2008 and have been "sober" since feb 20, 2008...so hopefully that old destructive habit isn't taking part in this weight fiasco i'm having right now..:frown:

oi.....
  • TNTPete
    TNTPete Posts: 701 Member
    Options
    WOW - what a life you've been leading.

I have to agree with everyone, you are probably not eating enough. Try logging and adjusting. You will get there -- also I think if you have been inactive for a while your body may put on the pounds as it adjusts to having food available.

Drinking is a side effect of not fixing what caused you to be overweight for some people. My question back to you -- have you gone to counseling? You have transferred from eating, to drinking, to smoking, to bulemia(spelling) and to extreme exercise. I think starting there would be crucial for any lifestyle change to take hold at this point.

Take care and always remember - you have value and you are valuable.
  • Katy009
    Katy009 Posts: 579 Member
    Options
    First, congrats on all that you have accomplished so far.

I just wanted to ask you when you quit smoking? It is really difficult to actually lose weight during the first year because your metabolism changes so much. Maybe that has something to do with it. Maybe with eating a little more, keeping up what you are already doing, and setting your major goals after one year of being smoke-free might help.

Best of Luck!
  • may_marie
    may_marie Posts: 667 Member
    Options
    :flowerforyou: hi there..

your story is incredible, and even though you didnt always do it the healthy way, i got to say that you have nerves, to go though all those very restrive diet and get results out ... i know i couldnt,

are you still doing the big breaksfast thing ? because if yes. that is probably why your not loosing right now, here's an article that Banks posted a while ago, it will explain why it is recommended to eat small meals although the day

http://www.fitsense.co.uk/fit_article.php?id=100

also make sure that your eating your exercised calories, and more then 1200 a day. you might be starving yourself. when you are at a heatly bmi. its important that you dont try to loose 2 lbs a week, but more like .5 pounds a week. slowly but surely.

otherwise, hang in there, at the weight you are at, i think you can start relaxing a bit, right along with continuing eating right (as a vegan or not, im vegetarian myself) and exercising, your weight loss will come, just take it slowly,very slowly.

good luck, you deserve the best !!
    may
  • cquick
    Options
    ok, you guys are awesome, and i love you all for your support, suggestions, and queries...here goes...

i have a few ideas about what might be up, thanks to you!

1) smoking cessation: quit 3 weeks ago, and i've def noticed a change in my metabolism. when i get up, i want to go right back to bed and it takes a while for me to get my groove on, but when i do, i feel great! so i'm guessing that's a big culprit.

2) i really like the big breakfast diet. i never feel deprived, and i eat yummy stuff. i used to eat 5 meals a day, and saw fabulous results, but with this lifestyle, i don't snack at all (i used to before, even with the 5 meals!), and my hunger is curbed the entire day. plus, i don't eat right before bed, and i think this will help in the future. studies show that highprotein/lowcarb dieters might have lost more weight in the beginning, but eventually gained it back! big breakfast eaters didn't lose as much weight in the beginning, but eventually lost more than the other group and kept it off! so, i'm willing to try this for a month and see what happens, just for the hay of it.

3) the protein! since i was a vegan/vegetarian, that might be something too. i'm so irregular (used to go every day, now i'm glad if i go 2x's a week!) and my belly feels hella full at all times, so i'm guessing it's the protein...it takes twice as long (sometimes longer) to digest, and maybe it's all a shock to my system, even tho i graduated to the amount i'm eating right now.
  • cquick
    Options
    4) i never did counseling, but when i got sick back in march, i did a lot of research on addictive patterns and found something out: my tendency to be a loner and reluctancy to talk led me to seek out "therapy" in exercise and other instantly gratifying ways. i don't have friends and prefer not seek help, so i now realize that i need to talk! i've found you guys (god love ya'll), i have my wonderful boyfriend, and i'm starting a belly dance class next week! after lots of reflection, i have noticed that i gain weight during depressive states even when i do everything "right," so i'm going to start getting out a little, go to the library and gym, go to a few oa anon meetings, and just get around people! i think it will really help until my classes start.

5) you know what, guys? i always gain a couple of pounds before i lose...i have tendency to bulk up, and i know that the lean muscle will eventually burn off the fat. i got frustrated, had tunnel vision, and lost sight of the bigger picture: i just want to be healthy! and it will happen, just slowly...and the slower, the better, because immediate results rarely ever last!

i think i'm ok, guys...i just had to reach out! thank you so much for being there! salud!!!