Not enough water?

Options
I barely drink regular water, I drink zero-cal drinks throughout the day.

I've been working out everyday burning anywhere from 800-1500 calories and sweating a whole bunch.

As I start to drink water after workout my weight just goes right back up. It seems like I am making no progress with weight loss.

Do I need to ditch all the other drinks and just drink my 8 cups of water a day?

Replies

• helenmelon29
    helenmelon29 Posts: 787 Member
    Options
    I would defo drink 8 glasses of water. I have a 2 L bottle that I make sure I drink each day - then I have a little extra if been working out etc.

I only weigh every other week. But Im pretty sure it wont make you put weight on.

Good luck,
  • unsuspectingfish
    unsuspectingfish Posts: 1,176 Member
    Options
    You're always going to retain some water after a workout, whether or not you're drinking straight water. I'd definitely try to drink a higher percentage of just water throughout the day, but it sounds like you're still hydrating properly.
  • minburke
    minburke Posts: 241 Member
    Options
    Your muscles need water to rebuild from my understanding. I find I retain water weight if my diet is high in sodium.. Is yours?
  • codexavellum
    codexavellum Posts: 112
    Options
    Your muscles need water to rebuild from my understanding. I find I retain water weight if my diet is high in sodium.. Is yours?

No I always watch sodium. Under 1500 a day usually
  • morganadk2_deleted
    morganadk2_deleted Posts: 1,696 Member
    Options
    I can't see your diary i wondered are you eating enough??

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/10589-for-those-confused-or-questioning-eating-your-exercise-calo

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/61706-guide-to-calorie-deficit

This is just a part of it! please read the link above

Generally someone with a BMI over 32 can do a 1000 calorie a day (2 lbs a week) deficit
    With a BMI of 30 to 32 a deficit of 750 calories is generally correct (about 1.5 lbs a week)
    With a BMI of 28 to 30 a deficit of 500 calories is about right (about 1 lb a week)
    With a BMI of 26 to 28 a deficit of about 300 calories is perfect (about 1/2 lb a week)
    and below 26... well this is where we get fuzzy. See now you're no longer talking about being overweight, so while it's still ok to have a small deficit, you really should shift your focus more towards muscle tone, and reducing fat. This means is EXTRA important to eat your exercise calories as your body needs to KNOW it's ok to burn fat stores, and the only way it will know is if you keep giving it the calories it needs to not enter the famine response (starvation mode)

Also this might be helpful http://www.myfitnesspal.com/blog/00trayn/view/how-to-bust-a-3-month-plateau-87677

Good luck on your journey
  • nchapman2008
    Options
    if your working out so much you defo need to keep hydrated, dont be put down by your weight going back up, it happens to me i generally don't lose much weight when i work out alot, especially if your doing strength because your building up muscle and its going to weigh more, but in the long run it should speed up your metabolism and you should lose weight quicker :')

i dont tend to drink much either, i HATE water :') i probably have about 2 cups of squash a day and thats it ... its really not enough i know, but then i think to myself, most of the food i eat is FULL of water, like salad, so i let myself off :') hah x
  • LesliePierceRN
    LesliePierceRN Posts: 860 Member
    Options
    Artificial sweetners cause you to RETAIN water. Stop with the Zeros. Drink water, and you'll need alot of it initially to flush your system, then a steady intake daily to maintain. Then you'll see the fat burn away.. It takes lots of water to bathe our metabolic processes and cause them to work properly.
  • unsuspectingfish
    unsuspectingfish Posts: 1,176 Member
    Options
    i dont tend to drink much either, i HATE water :') i probably have about 2 cups of squash a day and thats it ... its really not enough i know, but then i think to myself, most of the food i eat is FULL of water, like salad, so i let myself off :') hah x

Have you tried squeezing some lemon or lime into your water? I've gotten to the point, now, where I really don't mind drinking so much water (as long as it's about room temp and out of the tap, I can't stand cold drinks), but, when I first gave up soda, I'd put some lemon in my water every once in awhile to make it go down more easily. I still do that some days if it's really hot out.
  • joetopshot
    joetopshot Posts: 1
    Options
    Glad to see there are at least a few other people who aren't too keen on water. I don't know why, but I usually don't enjoy drinking water. I have to force myself and I rarely make it to 8 cups. Are there any substitutes for water that work as water (other than the lemon in water suggestion)? For example, I do enjoy herbal teas like those made by Celestial Seasonings. Would that count as a water?

Good luck all,
    Joe
  • maillekelly
    maillekelly Posts: 132
    Options
    My advise would be to be only drink water. Diet drinks/zero calorie drinks like diet coke, etc etc, look in the ingredients, it will probably have aspartame in it, google aspartame, and you will understand why you shouldn't drink it. In the mornings I fill up a 2litre bottle of water and drink it throughout the day, I have a huge glass and 2 litres of water only takes 4 of them glasses so its really easy to drirnk, I have noticed if I don't get enough water, I don't lose as much weight, and its nothing to do with it stopping me eating because it makes me feel full, I eat the same every day, I truely believe water helps burn fat, if I don't get enough I don't lose it's as simple as that!
  • maillekelly
    maillekelly Posts: 132
    Options
    Oh and if you don't like the taste of water, put some a few dashes of lime in it, or a squeeze of lemon, thats what I do to make it taste nicer. Also, don't weigh yourself at different times in the day! Only weigh yourself once a week, as soon as you wake up, after you have been to the toilet to get your true reading, you could weigh 150lb (for example) as soon as you wake up, and then 154 at the end of the day because of the food you have eaten and the water you have drank, you will only drive yourself crazy weighing in at different times. I did, I became obsessed to the point my Mother had to hide the scales from me.