Protein levels

lisajlb
lisajlb Posts: 12 Member
edited September 27 in Food and Nutrition
I have been using MFP for nearly a week and all going well, except every day I am over on Protein - I can see why but I think my diet is healthy and the protein is purely from natural food, no powders/bars/shakes etc.

Just wondering how (if at all) bad this is as the amount I can have seems to be very small in comparison to the other categories.

Are there any nutritionists out there that can help?

Replies

• LillysGranny
    LillysGranny Posts: 431
    I am not a nutritionist, but I've read a lot on the subject of protein. The guidelines I've always come across are somewhere between .5 and 1 gram per pound of desired body weight--closer to the 1 gram level if you're working out pretty heavy. From my own reading, I'd say MFP has the protein set on the low end, and the fiber is low as well (so I hope you're going over there, too!). You can adjust your goals if the red numbers bother you.
  • LesliePierceRN
    LesliePierceRN Posts: 860 Member
    Going over on protein is fine.. as much as 1.5 to 2 g/kg of body weight is even encouraged if you are trying to build muscle. Make sure you drink plenty of water and have some good fat in your diet as well, for optimal muscle production (almonds, olive oil, canola oil etc).
  • erickirb
    erickirb Posts: 12,294 Member
    The protein setting on MFP is 15% of total calories, you can go up to 30% and still consume a balanced diet. If you are always over you can change the settings on MFP to give you more protein, and lower either fat or carbs or both.
  • lisajlb
    lisajlb Posts: 12 Member
    Thanks everyone doesn't seem to be a big deal, all others are lower. Will go and have a play with settings
This discussion has been closed.