Bloated - Help! Its driving me crazy!

Options
So I have started a new exercise program where I am lifting 3 times a week and then doing some kind of cardio for the other 3 days and then one day of rest. Since starting this new program I have gained a couple pounds and feel so bloated that it's very uncomfortable. I almost quit the lifting to go back to just cardio but I am reading that this may be normal and may be like this for weeks? Wondering if anyone else has gone through this? I eat very clean and drink plenty of water everyday. I have increased my calories to 2500 per day and including a lot of protien. Am I on the right track and is there anything to do about this bloating feeling?

Replies

• RichGebs
    RichGebs Posts: 345
    Options
    DO NOT over eat the protiens!!! Protein does nothing to build or strengthen muscle it could cause negative effects on the body. That's according to a recent study. But yes decrease the protein a little and it is normal at first cuz your body isn't used to it at first.
  • LesliePierceRN
    LesliePierceRN Posts: 860 Member
    Options
    Make sure you drink lots of water and don't use any artificial sweetners.. and be careful, because "healthy" products frequently contain artificial sweetners, which cause you to retain water.
  • BerryH
    BerryH Posts: 4,698 Member
    Options
    Hard to say without you opening your diary. 2500 calories sounds like a lot if you're trying to lose weight. Unless you're a serious body builder you don't need to increase your protein intake - some lean meat the size of a deck of cards is plenty. Also the protein or general change of diet may me making you constipated. Try using beans and lentils as your protein source for a couple of days.
  • carolynmittens
    Options
    when i first started weight training regularly, the trainers at my gym told me it's perfectly normal to see your muscles swell a bit in the first few weeks. something about the production of prostaglandins. even though your muscles will always swell a little bit after weight training, once your body gets used to it, the overall bloat will go way down. i definitely noticed overall swelling when i first started training, but sure enough in a few weeks it went away and now i finally see the muscle definition! keep at it, it'll go away :)
  • atsteele
    atsteele Posts: 1,358 Member
    Options
    Have you tried pure whey protein isolates? Sometimes the lower quality protein supplements can cause bloating. One to try if this is the problem is GNC's whey protein isolate. You dont have to get the most expensive one either. http://www.gnc.com/product/index.jsp?productId=2986027
  • atsteele
    Options
    Hard to say without you opening your diary. 2500 calories sounds like a lot if you're trying to lose weight. Unless you're a serious body builder you don't need to increase your protein intake - some lean meat the size of a deck of cards is plenty. Also the protein or general change of diet may me making you constipated. Try using beans and lentils as your protein source for a couple of days.

"Lean meat the size of a deck of cards" is a single serving size of protein and wont be enough for a man who is working out and running/doing cardio six times per week. Here's a good website to check out: http://www.webmd.com/diet/healthy-kitchen-11/how-much-protein 56 grams is just a foundation. Add working out and running, more protein may be required. My husband works out three times per week and runs two or three times per week and he definitely eats more protein than 56 grams per day or he would see his muscles diminish.
  • AlwaysWanderer
    AlwaysWanderer Posts: 641 Member
    Options
    Add flaxseed to your diet. It sorted me out :bigsmile:
  • cghiggins518
    cghiggins518 Posts: 48 Member
    Options
    I am trying to build muscle. I have lost 63 pounds and I am now at my "healthy" weight. I do not want to lose anymore (except the little bit of a gut I still have) Hoping that weight training and clean eating will help with that. My protien goal is at 156 grams for right now. Not sure if I need to get that up to 185 (my weight as of now) I use EAS whey for protien along with my regular diet.
  • keeponcrushinit
    Options
    Oh man!!..too much protein will do that for sure...have you been having shakes as well?

A few weeks ago i was in the same boat, I know still have a protein bar and a shake every day, maybe every other day, but i have included either senna or slimmatee as a cleanser..it works
  • AlwaysWanderer
    AlwaysWanderer Posts: 641 Member
    Options
    rule of thumb is 1g of protein per lb of goal body weight...
  • atsteele
    Options
    I am trying to build muscle. I have lost 63 pounds and I am now at my "healthy" weight. I do not want to lose anymore (except the little bit of a gut I still have) Hoping that weight training and clean eating will help with that. My protien goal is at 156 grams for right now. Not sure if I need to get that up to 185 (my weight as of now) I use EAS whey for protien along with my regular diet.

EAS always gave my husband problems. You might want to try lowering your grams of protein per day first before you switch to another brand though. Your protein seems quite high for your weight. Here's some approximations for protein requirements for a man:

http://www.mensfitness.com/nutrition/abs-health/protein-guide-maximum-muscle

Based on your weight, I would suggest between 66g protein per day to up to maybe 120 g protein per day, depending on how strenuously you are exercising.

I hope that this is helpful. :)
  • chuisle
    chuisle Posts: 1,052 Member
    Options
    DO NOT over eat the protiens!!! Protein does nothing to build or strengthen muscle it could cause negative effects on the body. That's according to a recent study. But yes decrease the protein a little and it is normal at first cuz your body isn't used to it at first.

I have never read this before...
  • atsteele
    Options
    rule of thumb is 1g of protein per lb of goal body weight...

I know that bodybuilders and supplement companies may say differently but this is still too high and can be very hard on kidneys and liver. Here's some approximations that are recommended:

So how can you tell if you’re already getting enough protein? Do the math.

Recreational athletes need 0.5-0.75 grams of protein daily for every per pound of body weight
    Competitive athletes need 0.6-0.9 grams per pound
    Teenage athletes need 0.8-0.9 grams per pound
    Athletes building muscle mass need 0.7-0.9 grams per pound
    The maximum amount of protein that most adults can use per day is 0.9 grams per pound of body weight.

So if you’re an adult athlete who wants to build muscle mass, and you weigh about 175 pounds, the most protein you would need per day is 157.5 grams. That sounds like a lot, but one 4-ounce hamburger contains 30 grams of protein, 6 ounces of tuna has 40 grams, and a single ounce of cheddar cheese has 7 grams. (To find a list of foods with their protein content, use the U.S. Department of Agriculture’s Nutrient Database, online at www.ars.usda.gov/Services/docs.htm?docid=20958.)

reference: http://www.webmd.com/vitamins-and-supplements/lifestyle-guide-11/protein-powder?page=2