C25K rest days

farmboy60
farmboy60 Posts: 21
edited September 27 in Fitness and Exercise
I was wondering if I could get some advice from past/ current participants in C25K.

I did my first day yesterday and loved it. Well love is a strong word, was happy I got through it :) What do you do on the days you are supposed to be resting/ off? Can I still be doing cardio/treadmill or should I be working on something completely different like weights. Would appreciate any suggestions. Thanks

Oh One more quick question, Under the goal section what should I be entering as my run and walking pace? I'm trying to convert from my treadmill speeds thanks.

Replies

• I just started C25K too! Today (my off day) I'm taking a pilates class.
  • BerryH
    BerryH Posts: 4,698 Member
    When you're starting running I'd recommend some low-impact exercise to give your muscles and joints time to recover. Try swimming, weight-training, rowing or yoga. For how to record, what speeds are you doing on the treadmill?
  • jenalderman
    jenalderman Posts: 411 Member
    Sometimes I do treadmill climbs on my day off. It burns a lot of calories. Although.....sometimes what your body needs is really a day off. As far as calories burned, I added couch to 5k and as my weight changes I just play with the time in order to line up with the calories that the treadmill says I burned. Once you've been on the program for awhile you will get a good feel for what you're burning whether you are running inside or out. You can also get a monitor for around 30.00 that will give you exact numbers. Good luck with the program. It has changed my life.
  • Kirsty_UK
    Kirsty_UK Posts: 964 Member
    I started the C25k a few weeks back, but I've found that I dont actually do 3 runs a week, just 3/4 bits of cardio, so some weeks I've skipped a c25k day and done something else instead, like hiking or swimming or the elliptical in the gym. If I was doing it "properly" I'd stick with weight training in between, and maybe something lower impact, like swimming or walking mixed in.

Good luck! I'm on week 5 now.
  • farmboy60
    farmboy60 Posts: 21
    I'm currently working on 3.0 for walking and 5.0 for jogging.
This discussion has been closed.