Can eating under 1200 calories really stop weight loss?

kallio
kallio Posts: 70
edited September 19 in Health and Weight Loss
Hi- I am frustrated and confused! I recently started to be serious about losing all this weight I have put on. I stopped pigging out and dropped a few pounds. Then I started working out 30-45 minutes 5-6 days a week. I went through a period where I wasn't eating much- small meals all day. They were only totaling around 900 calories. That lasted about 6 days. After that I decided to do South Beach diet. (worked for me once in the past) I lost nothing in 2 weeks. Now I have gotten wise- eating healthy meals and snacks trhoughout the day. Trying to eat around 1200 calories. Still working out and doing strength twice a week. I know this is gonna take some time. But since those first few pounds weeks ago I have lost nothing! With what I am doing I should be losing something!! Did I totally screw up my metabilism or what?!!HELP:angry::noway:

Replies

• Hi- I am frustrated and confused! I recently started to be serious about losing all this weight I have put on. I stopped pigging out and dropped a few pounds. Then I started working out 30-45 minutes 5-6 days a week. I went through a period where I wasn't eating much- small meals all day. They were only totaling around 900 calories. That lasted about 6 days. After that I decided to do South Beach diet. (worked for me once in the past) I lost nothing in 2 weeks. Now I have gotten wise- eating healthy meals and snacks trhoughout the day. Trying to eat around 1200 calories. Still working out and doing strength twice a week. I know this is gonna take some time. But since those first few pounds weeks ago I have lost nothing! With what I am doing I should be losing something!! Did I totally screw up my metabilism or what?!!HELP:angry::noway:
  • AJCM
    AJCM Posts: 2,169 Member
    Hey Kallio,

So, I can completely relate. I gained a bunch of weight when pregnant, and then lost about 15lbs easily (they kinda just came off quickly) and then needed a diet plan. I started on here, and lost about 12 more lbs, and then got stuck exactly like you.

For about 5 weeks, I was eating around 1200 calories, and working out everyday (from 20 to 40 minutes - depending on what the kids would allow). I was losing nothing. Not one pound.

Then many people recommended that I up the calories - I know it is scary - but I did. I upped my cals to around 1700 a day, and upped my workouts so that I burned at least 500 calories (I got a heart rate monitor). In the end, I was creating a deficit of around 800 calories a day - less than before - and I started losing again).

Good luck, and maybe consider upping both your calories and your exericse to boost your metabolism.

Hey.. maybe join our 30 Day Shred!
    :flowerforyou:
  • Eating less than 1200 calories a day will put your body into starvation mode. At first you will lose weight, but eventually you will plateau and you won't lose anything because your body will store all the excess calories, since it thinks you are starving. Usually the first few pounds come off quickly, and then you hit a certain point where for maybe a week or two you won't lose any weight at all. Right now, you're metabolism is a little confused, and probably still in that starvation period hence the reason why you haven't lost any more weight. Make sure you absolutely stay at 1200 calories a day. Also, this is something that most people forget - If you eat 1200 calories, but you burned 200 calories from working out, you need to eat that extra 200 calories. Otherwise you consumed a NET of 1000 calories, which is too few. I just started working with a personal trainer and have learned a lot about metabolism and nutrition. I hope this helps! Good luck to you, and don't be discouraged. Permanent weight loss comes slowly.
  • You may be gaining muscle as you lose fat. And if you're eating more low calorie processed foods than you used to, they're generally kinda high in sodium and can make you retain water. Plus, if you're here in the states where I am...the summer heat and humidity can make you retain water as well. So you may be dropping fat...without the scale showing anything.

As my nutritionist says: Scales lie. Don't trust them. :heart:
  • AJCM
    AJCM Posts: 2,169 Member
    As my nutritionist says: Scales lie. Don't trust them. :heart:

I LOVE it!!!
    :flowerforyou:
  • Thanks everyone! I guess my thoughts were right- I need to eat more. WOW I have never had That problem before!:laugh:
This discussion has been closed.