Big girl swimwear.. :(

Options
Jellyphant
Jellyphant Posts: 1,400 Member
I don't know about you guys, but I'm definitely not one to wear the itsy bitsy bikini. Instead, I usually wear a SUPER flattering gigantic black shirt that hangs to my knees most of the time.

I DID wear a cute tropical ( and sleeveless D: ) dress from Target the last time I went to Schlitterbahn, but I was really self conscious about my big ol' arms.
(Mind you, you can see my stats in my signature. I'm not small.)

What do you wear when you swim to feel comfortable?

Replies

• Bella1hud
    Bella1hud Posts: 530 Member
    Options
    Check out www.swimsuitsforall.com

I got a couple of baths suits from there for a trip to Cuba last year and was very happy with them. :smile:
  • smartin0619
    smartin0619 Posts: 36 Member
    Options
    . You should check out "miracle suits" they are meant to kinda hold you in and look great on all shapes! They are one piece suits, I find in order for me to feel confident I have to spend a good amount of money on a suit. I think it's worth it though to be able to enjoy activies with out feeling like everyone is staring at me!
  • MinnieInMaine
    MinnieInMaine Posts: 6,400 Member
    Options
    I was never one for skirted swimsuits but did find one at Fashion Bug oh about 5 years ago that's more like a babydoll style (skirt drapes from piping at empire height waist) and I adore it! It's about time for an update though - might go with one of those that's out this year that are a re-do of the 50's style.
  • missjboone
    missjboone Posts: 23 Member
    Options
    old navy has a great selection of flattering (and cute!) suits for big girls. I generally wear tankinis from them. you have to buy them online, though.
  • KLo924
    KLo924 Posts: 379 Member
    Options
    I actually have gotten my favorite bathing suit as a plus sized gal. It's a retro-looking one-piece from Lands End: http://www.landsend.com/pp/AlloverControlSlenderTunicSwimsuit~4235_593.html?bcc=y&action=order_more&sku_0=::BAP&CM_MERCH=IDX_Swimwear-_-Women-_-ShopbySilhouette-_-OnepieceSwimsuits&origin=index It's super comfortable and actually really flattering. (whoa that was a long link lol - here's a bitly for it: http://bit.ly/f80NjH )
  • TS65
    TS65 Posts: 1,024 Member
    Options
    I got tired of letting the swimwear industry dictate fashion. I stole one of my husbands surfer shorts (black and gray) and paired it with a tankini top. It's funny how many women have told me "great idea" - granted, I think it would be cuter if I was 70 lbs lighter :laugh: but I'll get there!
  • MelissaL582
    MelissaL582 Posts: 1,422 Member
    Options
    Check out www.swimsuitsforall.com

I got a couple of baths suits from there for a trip to Cuba last year and was very happy with them. :smile:

Looks like I'll be getting my new swimsuit there! I've been wearing my maternity swimsuit that I bought almost 7 years ago..LOL! It's so big on me once it gets wet.
  • casey12105
    casey12105 Posts: 293
    Options
    Normally I wear swim dresses, they're one piece bathing suits with a little skirt type thing attached to the bottom to hide my huge top of my thighs and butt lol. I actually think that even though I'm big I look pretty good in those suits, and most big girl suits are made to make your stomach look slimming.
  • melbhall
    melbhall Posts: 519
    Options
    It really is all about confidence. Wear what makes you feel best and pretty, and I'm guessing a big black tshirt isn't it. In fact, you draw more attention to yourself that way. I'm self-conscious about my thighs so I usually find a pretty top and pair it with basic black swim shorts. I'm too scared to rock a one-piece, but I'm hoping to get there! Good luck and I hope you find the perfect suit that makes you feel beautiful!
  • Qarol
    Qarol Posts: 6,171 Member
    Options
    I like Land's End. They sell separates, which is good for me since I'm a size smaller up top vs bottom. Plus they have a high waisted bottom, which is perfect for me. Now I don't have to worry about the tankini top riding up and exposing my midriff.
  • misscristie
    misscristie Posts: 643 Member
    Options
    I'm with Kris - I bought a retro style suit from Lane Bryant this year. The girls looked great, ruching hid the mid section and I just looked curvy. Also, since the girls did look so great (SO GREAT!), I figured nobody noticed my big *kitten* :) Also, tan fat looks way better then pale, fishbelly fat, so a little self tanner can be a good thing.
  • dodier01
    dodier01 Posts: 84 Member
    Options
    When I went down south this winter a friend of mine and of course myself bought a couple of swimsuit from Always for me.

And we loved them.. they tucked us in at the exact right places and looked good!

You guys should take a look I think they are really worth it.. we bought 6 and loved all 6! :)

The website is www.alwaysforme.com

I would of loved to show you guys which one we got but work blocks the website...
  • reallivefitness
    Options
    If it makes you feel any better, it's not always easy for "normal" sized people to find flattering swim suits either. I'm 5'10", 155 lbs, and I hate bikinis. Unfortunately, all of my height is in my torso, so I can't wear one-piece suits either, and tankinis always ride up and make my love handles look worse. So I'm with ya on wishing for more swim suit options.
  • mfkfoster
    mfkfoster Posts: 331 Member
    Options
    I wear a tankini with swim shorts. The shorts have a swim panty attached.
  • mfkfoster
    mfkfoster Posts: 331 Member
    Options
    I wear a tankini with swim shorts. The shorts have a swim panty attached.