Jicama

Options
dian1227
dian1227 Posts: 122 Member
Anyone try this veggie??? I want to include some new veggies into my diet, but never tried this one.

Replies

• marnieinMB
    marnieinMB Posts: 196 Member
    Options
    Its great in a salad. Very crunchy like a radish but not that strong flavor. Almost sweet.
  • HeyLisa
    HeyLisa Posts: 201
    Options
    Reminds me in texture of a raw potato.. lovely with some citrus in salads.
  • otm25
    otm25 Posts: 106 Member
    Options
    I chop it up and bag it to grab when I am running out the door. Only 35 calories for one cup it is sweet and fills me up when I am feeling snacky. Go for it!
  • Mindful_Trent
    Mindful_Trent Posts: 3,954 Member
    Options
    I love it! It tastes very apple-y to me. I add it to salads, but also like eating it by itself!
  • lynnie_1
    lynnie_1 Posts: 87 Member
    Options
    never had it weird though i just saw it on dr.oz like 15minutes ago for the first time
  • redrustdobe
    redrustdobe Posts: 43
    Options
    Its delicious! Sort of the flavor of a potato, but crisp & juicy like an apple. Cut it into strips and dip it. I love it w/guacamole (in moderation of course).
  • dian1227
    Options
    ok, so what I am hearing is that it's great in salads almost fruity rather than a strong flavor...I think I found a new veggie...

Thanks all!
  • nehtaeh
    nehtaeh Posts: 2,977 Member
    Options
    It seems everyone eats it raw...can you cook it? does it cook like a potato?
  • Lunarokra
    Lunarokra Posts: 855 Member
    Options
    It's such a great fresh snack. We add some salt & lime and throw in some cucumbers, you can even add a little hot sauce or sprinkled pepper flakes.

Really tasty.
  • dayzeerock
    dayzeerock Posts: 918 Member
    Options
    A delicious low-cal snack...also good on top of a veggie burger!
  • Lunarokra
    Lunarokra Posts: 855 Member
    Options

I've never had it cooked & i don't think that it would maintain the consistency like the potato after cooking. But you can always give a lil piece a try right?
  • pucciposh
    pucciposh Posts: 3
    Options
    This is one of my fave fruits. Cut it up like apple slices, drizzle with some lime juice & sprinkle a lil of cayenne pepper. It is sooo good & refreshing.
  • VixFit2011
    VixFit2011 Posts: 663 Member
    Options
    Love jicama! Great in salads or just to munch.
  • PirateJenny
    PirateJenny Posts: 233
    Options
    I really love Jicama, too.

There are some easy salad / slaw recipes for it that I can post a little later, I am just on my way out right now.
  • nehtaeh
    nehtaeh Posts: 2,977 Member
    Options
    Ok, you've all convinced me to go get some and try it! :drinker:
  • dawnw30
    dawnw30 Posts: 270
    Options
    You watched Dr. Oz didn't you? Everyone is always looking up stuff after his shows! It's just amusing to see how wide of an audience he affects with his tips :happy: I thought about trying one cause - ofcourse, I watched Dr. Oz too! LOL!! :laugh:
  • Sh1tsRainbows
    Sh1tsRainbows Posts: 1,227 Member
    Options
    It's such a great fresh snack. We add some salt & lime and throw in some cucumbers, you can even add a little hot sauce or sprinkled pepper flakes.

Really tasty.

i like lime and chili powder on it!!!
  • ivyjbres
    ivyjbres Posts: 612 Member
    Options
    I remember having it cooked a time or two. I think it depends on how much/long you cook it and how. I had it kind of sauteed to heat it up and make it more like fries. It stayed crispy. I don't know what happens if you cook it longer.
  • dian1227
    Options
    I really love Jicama, too.

There are some easy salad / slaw recipes for it that I can post a little later, I am just on my way out right now.

Thanks Jenny that would be great, going to buy some today...
  • PirateJenny
    PirateJenny Posts: 233
    Options
    Here is my go-to jicama salad recipe:

Medium jicama peeled and cut large "matchsticks" (or cubed or whatever)
    Large red (or other sweet pepper) bell pepper, sliced
    Fresh lime juice
    Fresh Orange juice, orange segments or small amount of mild honey (or other sweeter to counteract a little of the acidity of the lime, I usually go with orange)
    Salt
    Chopped cilantro
    Sliced scallions or finely sliced red onion
    Red pepper flake or fresh jalapeno (if you don't like spice, just omit)

You can also add other crunchy items like snap peas, cucumbers, apples and greens like arugula, raab or mizuna. You can add avocado for some beneficial fat, too. The spices and herbs are all to taste and things can be added or subtracted. Hate cilantro? Add basil instead. Don't like chili flake? Leave it out.

The only thing I have found is that it has a short shelf life and usually needs to be eaten the same day or within 24 hours. The acid from the citrus can make the veggies "rubbery" and bleach the color a little. But, since this is a pretty "guilt-free" and nutrient rich little salad I don't sweat having an extra helping and eliminating the leftover dilemma!

In addition here is a website with a bunch of different jicama salad recipes that can be used as is or as a base. I just omit the oil or other added fats as they are generally not needed.

http://www.foodreference.com/html/jicama-salads.html