What do I do?

Options
almarsala
almarsala Posts: 168 Member
I started the 30 day shred yesterday and today I woke up so sore I can barely walk. I don't want to skip exercising but I don't know what to do because I cant really move my legs. I don't own weights so I can't use them. What did you guys do the day after?

Replies

• BamBam1113
    BamBam1113 Posts: 542 Member
    Options
    Make sure you stretch really well before and after a workout. If you're not used to working out, soreness is just part of it. Sometimes you are waking up muscles that haven't been used in a long time. Stretch, and drink plenty of H2O. Don't hurt yourself, but sometimes ya gotta push through it. No pain, no gain.
  • joanneeee
    joanneeee Posts: 311 Member
    Options
    oh my god haha that always happens when i dont exercise for a while. if i exercise every day for a few days after, the pain goes away and i feel normal again. if i DON'T exercise, my body tenses up and feels horrible for a few days after, until i feel normal again.
  • UpEarly
    UpEarly Posts: 2,555 Member
    Options
    Go for a nice walk and then do a long stretch. It will loosen up your muscles and help alleviate the soreness.
  • susanjackson66
    susanjackson66 Posts: 696 Member
    Options
    I just worked out through the soreness. It does get better. Take ibuprofen or something, it helps!
  • EmilyAnn89
    EmilyAnn89 Posts: 564 Member
    Options
    just stretch very well before your work out and try your best. try drinking something after your workouts to help your muscles recover. i've heard chocolate milk works just as well as protein shakes.
  • Panda86
    Panda86 Posts: 873
    Options
    Actually, I would wait until tomorrow to do it again. You are actually not supposed to work the same muscle groups two days in a row, because your muscles need time between workouts to repair..... Jillian Michaels gives advice that goes against this, and most personal trainers will tell you that its bad advice. I alternate 30 DS with cardio every other day. Maybe that will help you :)
  • beckajw
    beckajw Posts: 1,738 Member
    Options
    It's probably just muscles that haven't been used in a while. Get lots of water and protein. I wouldn't skip working out completely. If you can't push through that workout again, go for a walk or do some yoga. Something that gets the blood flowing to those muscles. It should get better in a few days.
  • Sandeee
    Sandeee Posts: 53 Member
    Options
    I tried and tried to do 30 Day Shred. After 2 weeks decided was not for me. One has to take in to consideration their age and ability when choosing workouts. Personally found Turbo Jam fun and productive without killing myself. Good luck to you with the shred. I hope it works out. It you hurt that much though, maybe listen to your body, take a day and start again tomorrow. This is your time line not the dvd.
  • MeganJo
    MeganJo Posts: 69
    Options
    Stretching will help, just make sure you warm your muscles up a bit beforehand. Doing static stretches on cold muscles will only increase your risk of injury. Generally when I feel sore, I just push through it and once your muscles get warmed up a bit you wont feel as sore.
  • erisfreenici
    erisfreenici Posts: 277 Member
    Options
    Actually, I would wait until tomorrow to do it again. You are actually not supposed to work the same muscle groups two days in a row, because your muscles need time between workouts to repair..... Jillian Michaels gives advice that goes against this, and most personal trainers will tell you that its bad advice. I alternate 30 DS with cardio every other day. Maybe that will help you :)

^^^ Exactly this. Go do some cardio today and get back on it tomorrow. Listen to your body!
  • chellekoren
    chellekoren Posts: 273 Member
    Options
    A good warm up will help with the stiffness and allow movement again. If I remember correctly, she has a good warm up at the beginning of 30 day shred, but being so sore, I would try doubling the warm up time. Been there done that. I remember my weeks at kung fu and after learning certain kicks, I found my hip flexer muscles(sp) for the first time. I was walking like an old lady for two days. The only time I felt better was to keep moving. Went on a long hike and felt wonderful during the hike. Any time you stop moving, you will stiffen up, again.

Oh and also, keep telling yourself that you just made yourself STRONGER. It is not an ailment. You WILL have bigger muscles and burn MORE calories and look so good!!!

Gratz for the tough work out. Don't quit!!!!
  • BrandiPants
    BrandiPants Posts: 41 Member
    Options
    I started the 30 day shred yesterday and today I woke up so sore I can barely walk. I don't want to skip exercising but I don't know what to do because I cant really move my legs. I don't own weights so I can't use them. What did you guys do the day after?

Oh my gosh I am glad its not jus me! I could barely walk for like 3 days after starting 30 day shred! It is best to find some other kind of exercise to do while that soreness tames down. That soreness actually show that your muscles are growing though so think of it as a good thing!
  • lizzycomp
    lizzycomp Posts: 64
    Options
    There's a difference between soreness and pain. It's best to try and work through the soreness. Walking and gentle yoga work great for helping tolerate the soreness...so does a soaking in a very warm bath. The soreness is just telling you that you accomplished what you intended with your workout...Good job! It will settle down after a few days.
  • lizzycomp
    lizzycomp Posts: 64
    Options
    A good warm up will help with the stiffness and allow movement again. If I remember correctly, she has a good warm up at the beginning of 30 day shred, but being so sore, I would try doubling the warm up time. Been there done that. I remember my weeks at kung fu and after learning certain kicks, I found my hip flexer muscles(sp) for the first time. I was walking like an old lady for two days. The only time I felt better was to keep moving. Went on a long hike and felt wonderful during the hike. Any time you stop moving, you will stiffen up, again.

Oh and also, keep telling yourself that you just made yourself STRONGER. It is not an ailment. You WILL have bigger muscles and burn MORE calories and look so good!!!

Gratz for the tough work out. Don't quit!!!!

EXACTLY!
  • Abells
    Abells Posts: 756 Member
    Options
    That next day soreness is awesome! It means you worked hard! Best thing you can do is go for a nice long slow jog. This will help increase circulation and oxygen to your muscles. You'll feel much better!
  • RunHardBeStrong
    RunHardBeStrong Posts: 33,069 Member
    Options

I completely agree with this! With that being said you can do some light cardio, it will get the blood flowing helping your muscles repair themselves which will help aleviate some soreness. I would walk for about 10 minutes then stretch, NEVER stretch cold muscles that could lead to injury, then continue your walk or whatever cardio you decide to do then stretch again afterwards! Good Luck!
  • jandzangelz
    Options
    When i've had a really hard work out and my muscles are sore, i soak in epsom salt. It helps a lot!!! The next day if I'm really sore and can't work out hard, i make myself walk. I will walk 4 - 5 miles. That way i still get some activity and helps keep the muscles loose. Don't push your muscles! You don't want to over do it and then hurt yourself.
  • almarsala
    almarsala Posts: 168 Member
    Options
    Thank you all so much for the advice. I will definitely be doing some cardio today and some stretching.
  • RoadDog
    RoadDog Posts: 2,946 Member
    Options
    Make sure you stretch really well before and after a workout. If you're not used to working out, soreness is just part of it. Sometimes you are waking up muscles that haven't been used in a long time. Stretch, and drink plenty of H2O. Don't hurt yourself, but sometimes ya gotta push through it. No pain, no gain.

^^^^^^ What he said!!!

Gotta stretch. Also got to know the difference between pain and injury.
  • dshale
    dshale Posts: 265 Member
    Options
    If it's DOMS (delayed onset muscle soreness) then I say workout and it will go away in three or four days. After that, you are working out and feeling fine the next day.