is this healthy?

Options
Finally I found out why I’m losing so much weight and fast. Ok so I calculated my calorie intake based on my weight, and height. Based on my weight I am supposed to intake 2,400 calories, yet I only eat about 1,300 calories a day, plus work out about 500 calories a day 6 days out of the week. Drinking about 70 to 80 ounces of water a day plus not drinking soda, no coffee, no juices, water with everything. oh yeah no sweets either, with only 1 cheat day every 2 or 3 weeks.

I know I shouldn’t complaint that I’m losing weight really fast but is this healthy for me though?

Replies

• Emmy_Ann
    Emmy_Ann Posts: 60
    Options
    Your calories work out to 3lbs of weight loss per week when you include your exercise burn.. Thats a little more than everybody suggests (2lbs is usually the limit/week).. I'd say if its not broke don't fix it kind of thing, but just be careful that you don't burn out or go back to old habits once you start hitting your goals.. Usually people who lose weight extremely fast tend to go right back to their old lifestyles..
  • bosworthdk
    bosworthdk Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    A quick rule of thumb is that if you lose more than 4 pounds a week for more than 4 weeks straight it's probably not healthy.
    That said, there can be tons of specific circumstances. As good as the advice you can get from the forums here might be, I'd recommend you check with your doctor. He or she will be able to also take your lifestyle and general health into account.
  • tammyr76
    tammyr76 Posts: 174
    Options
    For it to be healthy for your body you need to eat no less than 1200 calories a day,,and if you exercise you need to eat back your exercise calories,,,or your body will go into starvation mode and start using your muscle mass for food...
    If your intake is 2400 you really need to make sure you take in all 1200 and your exercise calories.....
  • bobrush
    bobrush Posts: 1
    Options
    My personal opinion is that the 2lbs a week theory was mad up by people that have to take people with diminished health into account when establishing guidelines for healthy activities. I have found it very easy to lose more than 2-3lbs a week when necessary without any issues.
  • Melissajojo3
    Melissajojo3 Posts: 100
    Options
    Your calories work out to 3lbs of weight loss per week when you include your exercise burn.. Thats a little more than everybody suggests (2lbs is usually the limit/week).. I'd say if its not broke don't fix it kind of thing, but just be careful that you don't burn out or go back to old habits once you start hitting your goals.. Usually people who lose weight extremely fast tend to go right back to their old lifestyles..

Thank you for the informtion :) I will just keep doing what I'am doing and I've promised myself to keep motivated and lose the weight before my wedding day.... I will not fix it if its not broken.. thanks for the advise...
  • Melissajojo3
    Options
    For it to be healthy for your body you need to eat no less than 1200 calories a day,,and if you exercise you need to eat back your exercise calories,,,or your body will go into starvation mode and start using your muscle mass for food...
    If your intake is 2400 you really need to make sure you take in all 1200 and your exercise calories.....

The thing about it is that I've gotten my body used to eating about 1300 calories a day, that I don't get hungry any more. I guess I've tricked my body into consuming 1300 calories, but Iam also eating healthy though I just didnt know if that was bad that Iam losing the weight fast... But I guess 3 pounds a week isnt bad I just hope It stays that way :)
  • Melissajojo3
    Options
    Thank you MFP family.. I wil ltake everyone's advise into consideration..... :) I will do this and motivate myself to be where I want to be and where i've never been before in my whole life.
  • tammyr76
    tammyr76 Posts: 174
    Options
    As long as you are making healthy choices and eating 1300 calories a day I say it's ok....Peoples bodies are different and everyone loses different..and the younger you are the better.....
  • Melissajojo3
    Options
    As long as you are making healthy choices and eating 1300 calories a day I say it's ok....Peoples bodies are different and everyone loses different..and the younger you are the better.....

Yay I guess I'll keep the way I am... I'm not starving my self or anything, but I just eat when Iam hungry and really to be honest I just watch what I eat.. Its become like a habit :)
  • ali06013
    ali06013 Posts: 24 Member
    Options
    My only recommendation is to make sure you are getting the appropriate amount of vitamins and minerals from the foods you eat that make up your 1,300 calories. Sometimes it can be hard to get everything from your diet if you don't consume a lot of raw fruits and veggies, and it can be harder if your calories are more limited.
  • LolasEpicJourney
    LolasEpicJourney Posts: 1,010 Member
    Options
    IT was suggested for me to lose 2lbs a week I need to maintain 1880calories a week. which would be a 7000calorie a week deficit. More or less - I am eating 1000calories LESS aday ? I dont think so. Everyones body is different. I found I was maintaining weight around 2000calories a day - which for someone my size seems like not a tonne.

You have found something that seems to work for you - so go for it!