Mini Goals?

Options
I would like to set some Mini Goals, just not sure what to set them for....I don't have any events or anything coming up. Maybe I should just start with a date for my goal weight loss? How did you decide on your Mini Goals?

Replies

• bluemist248
    bluemist248 Posts: 207 Member
    Options
    One of my mini goals is for someone that doesn't know I'm trying to lose weight to comment on my weight loss, I know some other people have goals such as fitting back into their 'skinny clothes', others set goals like 'move out of obese BMI category' then ' move out of overweight category'.

I think once you've set some mini goals, its good to reward yourself for meeting each one, my usual reward is shopping for a new top to go out in!
  • KimberSt
    KimberSt Posts: 62 Member
    Options
    I didn't set dates for my goals. I set them as rewards for reaching them. I figure my body will get there when it gets there. No sense in killing myself to reach a certain date.

Hugs,
    Kimber
  • munozrd
    munozrd Posts: 62 Member
    Options
    Its better to think small first. That way you get motivated. Maybe the first 10 lbs, jeans you can't get into, That way when you get there, the satisfaction is that much better and makes you want to keep going.
  • wenders123
    wenders123 Posts: 338 Member
    Options
    I had quite alot to lose, so I set mini goals that I could reach in the short term, mainly for motivation. I'm British, so we use Stones and Pounds here. There are 14 pounds in a stone, so I would use each 1/2 stone as a mini goal. Also a dress size is about a stone in weight, so you see how it works. Also I was 218.5 lbs to start, so getting under 200 was another mini goal. Basically anything that was attainable in maybe 3-4 weeks ... hope that helps :bigsmile:
  • jandzangelz
    Options
    You can set mini goals with exercise even if you don't have actual events coming up. You can increase your physical activity. Try a new exercise class. Try walking/running further than you had before...try accomplishing so many miles within a week. I got frustrated always using weight loss as a mini goal so I had to try and find other things to focus on. I sometimes will try going a week without eating a certain food that I know is a trigger food for me. There are all different types of mini goals you can try setting for yourself. It just depends on what you want to focus on.

Best of luck to you!! Stay positive and keep on working hard. It pays off. :)
  • OnionCookie
    OnionCookie Posts: 272 Member
    Options
    I do per pounds for mini goal. Used to go by tens when I first started but now I go by every five pounds. Then I also do a longer term like be able to fit in size such and such by this time and set a reasonable date. Like my goal now is to hit 155 by the end of summer and be in all size tens instead of just some.
  • MinnieInMaine
    MinnieInMaine Posts: 6,400 Member
    Options
    When I was doing Weight Watchers, they use mini goals of percentages of weight loss. I personally started out at 258 so my first mini goal was to lose 5% (13 pounds) then 10% (25 pounds), etc. They would also give you stickers for every 5 pound loss.

I'm a big fan of baby steps for someone just starting out. Say you've never tracked your food before. So your first goal would be to go a whole week tracking every single thing, not even really paying attention to your daily caloric goal, just tracking to get used to it. Then then next week, cut down on one thing that is putting you over your caloric goal, like instead of having two sandwiches, just have one. Or add a fruit or vegetable, or drink more water. Whatever it is that you need to do to work towards better health.

I also like the idea of using fitness goals. Say you start out walking and can only do 10 minutes before you're completely winded and exhausted. Give yourself two or three weeks of doing 10 minute walks 3 or 4 times per week just to get used to more consistent activity. Then increase your time every 2 or 3 weeks. Walk 15 minutes, then 20 minutes....then eventually try walking faster....and maybe even try doing some jogging intervals, or add weights. There are so many options out there.
  • brandi2258
    brandi2258 Posts: 46 Member
    Options
    Thanks for all the great ideas!! I really appreciate them! I think I am on my way to setting a few :wink: