HELP! HRM spazzing out!

Options
AKosky585
AKosky585 Posts: 607 Member
Sorry if this is in the wrong place :)

I have had my HR monitor for a little over 6 months. I have the Polar FT4 with a chest strap. I had no problems with it until the past 2 months or so. My HR reading has been really wacky. Like, it will freeze for minutes, then either drop drastically to 85 and stick there for minutes and then shoot up to 207 and stick there for minutes. I know when I am working hard, there is no way that it can be that low (85) but also no way it can be 207 (I got 228 once too) My usual workout HR is around 160-180 during and fluctuates in there...when it works correctly.

Does anybody else have this problem? I am doing nothing differently in how I am wearing it and I always wet it before putting it on, like it says to.

During todays workout, I just subtracted 20 calories from my total burn hoping it is somewhat accurate, considering it got stuck at a really LOW HR for awhile, then a really HIGH HR for awhile, and then after 25 minutes or so it seemed to even out and work like normal again.

Replies

• 12by311
    12by311 Posts: 1,716 Member
    Options
    Do you clean/wipe off your chest strap after each use? You may need to get a clean cloth and some water and wipe it down really well.
  • shannahrose
    shannahrose Posts: 585 Member
    Options
    i have the same hrm and sometimes i have trouble getting mine to pick up a signal at all. i've been just using mfp estimates on caloried burned lately, they seem to be close, but it's frustrating to not know exactly when i spent $100 on my hrm to know for sure!

anyone have tips?
  • AKosky585
    AKosky585 Posts: 607 Member
    Options
    That is another problem I have....it wont read anything at all or in the middle of the workout, it will just lose signal completely sometimes. It IS frustrating when, like you, I spent $100 on it.
  • changling82
    changling82 Posts: 137 Member
    Options
    make sure you clean it really well. I believe you can even put it in the washer. It might also need a new battery. Mine was spazzing out last week and i got a new battery and it's good as new. Also, make sure you have the chest strap tight enough. The only time mine loses signal is when it is too loose.

Do all that and if it's still spazzing, i'd contact polar!
  • ilsie99
    ilsie99 Posts: 259
    Options
    Cleaning the contacts with some soap and water and replacing the battery in the strap are the first things you should do.
  • misschoy
    misschoy Posts: 125 Member
    Options
    Sounds like you need a new battery. Mine did that, got a new battery and it was as good as new. :)
  • shannahrose
    shannahrose Posts: 585 Member
    Options
    I just replaced my battery a few weeks ago, but will try cleaning it tonight and see if that makes a difference.