Is it hard to get heart rate up when you start losing?

Options
I've been working out like a mad women and even incorporated running into my schedule but noticed that my heart rate hasn't been getting as high as usual which is an average of 165-172 and now its around 140-150 which is resulting in less calories burned was just wondering if its harder to get heart rate up if you are losing weight

Replies

• kellykaye_xo
    kellykaye_xo Posts: 66 Member
    Options
    Weight loss shouldn't impact your heart rate. You need to increase intensity or speed in your running to get your heart rate higher. I like to do short bursts of sprints periodically in my running (30-60 seconds).
  • marianne_s
    marianne_s Posts: 986 Member
    Options
    the more fitter you get, the harder you have to work to get your heart rate up....

So, basically you've gotten quite fit and now you have to push yourself harder...

:)
  • erickirb
    erickirb Posts: 12,293 Member
    Options
    It has very little to do with weight. The more fit you become the harder you have to push yourself to get you HR up, as the more cardio you do the stronger your heart becomes meaning it is more efficient (less pumps) to get the blood flowing.
  • unmitigatedbadassery
    unmitigatedbadassery Posts: 653 Member
    Options
    I would imagine it would be. You will probably have to up the effort to balance it out.

My heart works harder and faster because I am very heavy - as I become lighter my heart doesn't have to work as hard to achieve the same blood flow. Makes sense to me anyway.
  • Beebs33
    Beebs33 Posts: 262
    Options
    I have to push myself even harder now because it takes more to get my HR up as well.
  • kimmerroze
    kimmerroze Posts: 1,330 Member
    Options
    this is the same as lifting weights, and then your muscles no longer get sore... when you work out a muscle (ie your heart legs arms etc) you get stronger therefore it requires harder and more strenuous exercises.

ITs a good thing! just hit it harder.
  • BerryH
    BerryH Posts: 4,698 Member
    Options
    You're getting fitter so your cardiovascular system is adapting to your exercise routine. Read up on heart rate zones and aim to keep your heart rate up to target during your workout, which will mean you have to work a little harder than you've become used to.

Try regularly tracking your resting heart rate too, it's a great measure of increased fitness.