Bone structure

Options
I'm not sure if this is the right place to post this or not, but i was I have a question. My boyfriend told me last night that because i have a big bone structure I'd be lucky if after losing the weight I want I fit into a size 14. How he came up with the idea i have a big bone structure i have no i dead. But my first goal is to get to 175. and Eventually to 150. At being 150lbs would it be possible for me to fit into a size 14?

i hope this makes sense

Replies

• BrennaDS
    BrennaDS Posts: 4
    Options
    I don't think that this is unreasonable at all. I wouldn't worry about that at all! It is good to consider your frame when you are choosing your goal weight, just to make sure you're not aiming too low so you remain healthy. I've wondered about this to before and after looking into I discovered this "formula" which is said to be created by doctors:

For women with an "medium" sized frame
    5 feet = 100 lbs.
    each additional inch = 5 more pounds

so for me at 5'5" this would mean (around) 125 lbs.

10 percent of 125 is 12.5 pounds so:
    for a "smaller" frame you can subtract 10% which would mean 113 pounds
    for a "larger" frame this would mean 137 pounds
  • ANewLucia
    ANewLucia Posts: 2,081 Member
    Options
    I was tickled when I read this...hmmm how did he figure out you had a "big bone" structure. I mean sometimes you can see a person with a small frame or a larger frame and make that comment I guess. But, are you short or tall? I ask because I am 5' 7.5" and 156lbs and can fit in a tight 6 or loose 8. At 150lbs I am a loose 6 tight 4 and at my goal of 147lbs a loose 4...no those are sizes for New York and company slacks...just weird how different stores different sizing...

Anyway, said all that to say, unless you are very short, I would say you should more than be able to get into a size 14 even at 175lbs...
  • snowy_sk
    snowy_sk Posts: 117 Member
    Options
    UK size 14?
  • keb80
    keb80 Posts: 394
    Options
    I've heard that if you measure the circumference of your wrist, there is a calculation to figure out if you are bigger framed versus smaller. I don't think there is a way to tell just by looking at the way your body is now. I think its perfectly reasonable to fit into a size 14 at 150lbs. I'm not sure what height you are but I'm at 153 and my pants size is lower than 14. Don't let him discourage you!
  • B140
    B140 Posts: 56
    Options
    You can get online and find a frame size calculator. It usually involved measuring your wrist, so have a tape measurer. I am 5ft7 and have a large frame. The lowest size I was able to wear as an adult was a size 10 and I was 140lbs. I am gonna get down there again and maybe with the way pants sizes have changed over the years I'll be able to wear an 8. :P It's just a number, though, the great thing is that your clothes fit well and flatter you instead of just covering you up, whatever the size.
  • lestahling
    lestahling Posts: 36
    Options
    Bone structure and other gentic factors definately does play into size... For example, my mom, at her lightest weight when she was young, weighed 128 lbs, but the smallest size she wore was a 10, just because that's how her body was built. I have a friend who is my age who weighs around 130 lbs, but in contrast, she wears a size 5.

I wouldn't worry too much about what size you are going to wear... it is just a number. When you lose the weight and are fit and toned you will look great regardless of the number on your pants.
  • tasoconnor
    tasoconnor Posts: 425 Member
    Options
    How tall are you? and what is the size of your wrist? I believe these two measurements should help you determin this. I am 5'6" wrist is 7". At 165lbs I fit into a size 12 loosly. My plan is to get back into those.
  • Atlantique
    Atlantique Posts: 2,484 Member
    Options
    If this is any help, at 5'7" and 173, I was in a 12-14. Now, at 151 I am back into my size 8s.

(And yes I'm female--don't mind the avatar).
  • picturesing
    picturesing Posts: 228
    Options
    Oh honey....boys just don't get it sometimes.....at 150 you'll be into anywhere from size 6 - 10 depending on your height. I'm 5'4", weigh 215 and am in a size 16.....YOU are gonna be amazed.
    Here's a hint - build a wall against NEGATIVITY - just don't let neg thoughts or comments into you psyche!!!!!!
  • sdirbder
    sdirbder Posts: 159 Member
    Options
    I have wide hips for someone my hieght 5 3. I weight 154 now and fit into a size 10/11 depends on the brand.
  • momma3sweetgirls
    momma3sweetgirls Posts: 743 Member
    Options
    it really has to do with your body shape too. I'm 139.5, 5'5"and can now wear a size 8 pant. I think I must have really wide hips!
  • morganadk2_deleted
    morganadk2_deleted Posts: 1,696 Member
    Options
    i'm 5'4" 159 lbs and wear an english size 12 !
  • sreimer07
    sreimer07 Posts: 154 Member
    Options
    i'm between 5'7 and 5'8
  • Losingitin2011
    Losingitin2011 Posts: 572 Member
    Options
    That is so frustrating. I figure I will likely never be a size 8 again because I am a large frame, but you know, that's my determination to make, not anyone else's. Just let garbage like that go in one ear, and right out the other. How would he feel if you told him he'd never fit into some of his old pants again?
  • Peanutmanda
    Peanutmanda Posts: 103
    Options
    I am 5' 8" I have a big bone structure, (google how to measure your elbow bone.)

I am still 170 right now, and i am a size 11 currently.

Of course it matters how you carry your weight but, i doubt you have a big enough bone structure, to make it so you can't get under a size 14...
  • Atlantique
    Atlantique Posts: 2,484 Member
    Options
    i'm between 5'7 and 5'8

Then honey, when you hit 150, you give those 14s to your boyfriend to wear because they will be falling off you!:bigsmile:
  • sreimer07
    sreimer07 Posts: 154 Member
    Options
    Lol thank you all so much. It actually really hurt that he said it. He knows how much this means to me. I dont think it helps that it seems he's gaining what i'm losing :)
  • baisleac
    baisleac Posts: 2,019 Member
    Options
    Frame size "calculator" using wrist circumference: http://www.nlm.nih.gov/medlineplus/ency/imagepages/17182.htm

Down and dirty method - Take your thumb and middle finger on your dominant hand and wrap them around your other wrist (don't squeeze tightly, just wrap your fingers). If they overlap, you have a small frame, if they just touch, you have an average frame, and if they don't touch you have a large frame.

That said, women's sizes suck almost as much as BMI as a measurement. They're only good as a very rough estimate and to show relative drop.
  • BeetleChe13
    BeetleChe13 Posts: 498 Member
    Options
    I hope he wasn't saying that to get you down. There are so many factors other than body frame such as body fat and how your body decides to distribute it. I'm 5'3"ish, weigh 124, and I wear a size 8! My hips are just huge bc of my baby-making genes. :P I don't think you'll know til you get there hon, so try to prove him wrong. Lol. I'm sure you'll look great no matter what size you wear.
  • BeetleChe13
    BeetleChe13 Posts: 498 Member
    Options
    Sorry, I forgot to mention that I have a small bone frame. Jean size doesn't matter to me: being healthy does!