Low impact outdoor excersize?

Options
Im looking for a low impact outdoor cardio excersize to do until i can shed some weight and my knees don't take a beating from this extra weight i have accumulated.

Any advise? also needs to not cost a whole lot of money.

Replies

• kadye
    kadye Posts: 136 Member
    Options
    Walking
  • pearlof69
    pearlof69 Posts: 80 Member
    Options
    How about walking. The fitter you get, the faster you can walk. It works for me.
  • tonedover
    tonedover Posts: 30 Member
    Options
    yean - im sure you were looking for more creativity from our replies, but the walking is where its at!
  • CarlaAnn15
    CarlaAnn15 Posts: 55 Member
    Options
    Walk, Walk, Walk.... Once you get in a routine, carry weights with you (1 or 2 lbs each) and do arm curls, lifts, etc with them as you walk. And then add in some lunges and squats.

Good Luck to you!!
  • erinhale
    erinhale Posts: 137 Member
    Options
    Do couch to 5k. Its a nice walking/running protocal. And then do some weight training. You'd be surprised how much calories can be burned in a weight routine.
  • ronda_gettinghealthy
    ronda_gettinghealthy Posts: 777 Member
    Options
    swimming??? or water aerobics??? riding a bike??? if you can ( I cant) roller skating or blading. and last but not least--walking
  • eorourke23
    eorourke23 Posts: 56
    Options
    Bike riding, get out there and show them all how its done,
  • Wilshinault
    Wilshinault Posts: 16 Member
    Options
    i'm a big fan of hiking. I'm in Oklahoma City and we have lots of wildlife preserves and lakes and parks. I grab my backpack with a couple liters of water and protein bars and i'm out for a couple hours. Not only do you get a great workout but you also get some beautiful scenery. You could also pick up an activity like geocaching, you go on search for an item and you don't even realize that you have walked 5 miles to pick up the next couple ones.
  • djamador
    djamador Posts: 20 Member
    Options
    I have been walking for the past week while wearing my "tone-ups" and can really feel the difference in only a week. I am about ready to add the weights and go a little bit longer. Doing a mile right now.

You can do it too!
  • kent4j
    kent4j Posts: 391 Member
    Options
    I agree biking is a great low impact exercise that you can challenge yourself to as you get more fit.
  • Missjulesdid
    Missjulesdid Posts: 1,444 Member
    Options
    For me I find that walking UP HILL gives me more bang for the buck. Being very heavy, my legs kind of take a beating when I do a lot of brisk walking on the pavement but If I do a shorter slower walk up a steeper incline, I get the workout with fewer steps pounding on my legs. Also try to stay off the pavement if you can. I love to go hiking and you burn more calories than just walking because your body is working harder to stabilize you on uneven surfaces. I absolutely love hiking up mountains but you should practice on some hills first before you try a mountain.

Another activity that is awesome is canoeing or kayaking or rowing. If you have any access to a boat and water you should think about it. You can pick up a boat for not much money or borrow one. I used to live near a river and I LOVED to go out in my canoe. I'd actually just plop the thing on the portage cart and walk down the street to the river rather than deal with the hassle of tying it to the top of the car and driving. Now where I live this isn't a possibility but it might be for you...
  • aharmeson
    aharmeson Posts: 55
    Options
    I guess walking is going to be the general consenses. Thanks for all the advice I am going to look into a bike and the Couch to 5K app.

Thank you for the responses.
  • fteale
    fteale Posts: 5,310 Member
    Options
    Cycling is a good one, but watch out for your knees.