i GAINED weight!

Options

Replies

• Sasha_Bear
    Sasha_Bear Posts: 625 Member
    Options
    And I also think your calorie goal is kind of high, how much are you trying to lose a week? You probably should be eating within the 1200 calorie range.
  • cutelashawn
    cutelashawn Posts: 182
    Options
    Hey girl, I went back a couple of days on your diary and yuour carb intake was pretty high on some of the days. You have to watch your macronutrients (protein, carbs, fat) as well as your calorie intake. Try and stay within 1200 calorie range and not go below that. Limit your processed foods, I know being a fulltime student that can be roough but at least try. Try to watch ur carbs and sugar, carbs turn into sugar in your body and if you not consuming enough fiber in your diet the carbs u eat will get absorbed as fat. The more fiber you eat the less carbs ware getting absorbed in ur body. So i say instead of monitoring ur sugar intake on MFP monitor your fiber you should be getting over 25 grams of fiber a day. And please drink WATER< WATER< WATER. That is crucial to weight loss...good luck to u, and be free to send me a freind request so I can keep u motivated.
  • Amy62575
    Amy62575 Posts: 422 Member
    Options
    I agree with the others - you would benefit from reducing the amount of white enriched flour products. You need carbs, but the good kind like steel cut oats, whole grains for pancakes and breads, and definitely increase your fruits and veggies if you can. The sodium in the processed foods may be helping you to hold onto water weight.
  • therealangd
    therealangd Posts: 1,861 Member
    Options
    Just took a look at your diary. Definitely cut back on the processed carbs and increase your fruit and vegetable intake.
  • delita259
    delita259 Posts: 15
    Options
    :flowerforyou: thank you guys, i know my eating habits arent the best, but i hav ebeen trying, and will cointinue to...i fonly healthy foods werent so darn expensive :ohwell:
  • kaylaCdewire1311
    Options
    I noticed that you don't reach your caloric intake goals often. You should do your best to reach those daily.. drink more water too.. at least try to get 8.. i have a very hard time with that one.. and cut back on the processed foods... Thats hard too, but it's worth the effort! Good luck!
  • Sam899
    Sam899 Posts: 6
    Options
    Try to take out the packaged/processed foods. Eat whole snacks like fruits, veggies, low fat dairy (yogurt, cheese, etc). Swap white carbs for whole grain carbs, take the skin off of the chicken before you eat it, and fill your meals with lots of veggies to help you feel full. You'll get there, it's a lifestyle change and it will take some time to adjust. Good luck!
  • EDesq
    EDesq Posts: 1,527 Member
    Options
    i have been keeping up with my new eating habits and my excersize, i lost 3lbs in the first week of ZUMBA, but since then...two weeks later, i have gained 2lbs. what is goin on? i do zumba or jillian michaels boost your metabolism at least four days a week. and only once or twice have i gone over on my calories.

is this normal, what do i change, i monitor my sodium intake, and i do not eat red meat( cow, lamb, goat, or pig etc.) only chicken and turkey and seafood.

HELP!! my Diary is public, so please assist, i am however a fulltime student so buying all organic isnt an option, i buy all that i can afford.

You may be eating to many calories, also, don't let NOT eating meat fool you into believing that that is where you gain weight. It's the refined carbs that mostly cause wt gain...bread, cookies, cake, pasta...
  • dad106
    dad106 Posts: 4,868 Member
    Options
    There are two things that I can recommend:
    1. Water, water and more water! I try to drink at least 8 cups a day.. and that has helped me a lot!
    2. Step away from the scale! I find that when I don't weigh myself and don't stress myself out over the needle not moving, I tend to lose more weight. Stress only makes you retain weight, not lose it! :)
  • Qarol
    Qarol Posts: 6,171 Member
    Options
    My first guess is water retention. That's what always gets me. But some of us are going to fluctuate more than normal. Some people only weigh themselves once a month so they can see a bigger result. Maybe you want to try that and see how it works for you.
  • Pandorian
    Pandorian Posts: 2,055 Member
    Options
    I'd have to say with the starting weight, that the caloric goal is appropriate, 1200 isn't a number for just everyone!

I say that starting even heavier myself, so in no way mean offense ;)
  • Sezmo83
    Sezmo83 Posts: 331 Member
    Options
    Are you measuring your servings? If not that could be your downfall, most people REALLY over estimate how much a serving of something is.

And yeah, the heavier you are the more calories you get. 1200 isn't enough for everyone regardless of size. I'm losing weight eating between 1300 and 1600 a day, MFP gives me 1600.
  • chevy88grl
    chevy88grl Posts: 3,937 Member
    Options
    I see in the past few days u r eating white rice, white bread and no fruits. Try switching to brown rice, wheat bread and some fruits. That may help. Also, try having a healthier cereal like Multigrain cheerios, special k, etc.
    Good luck!

I totally agree with this. Try and stay away from "white" products (white rice, white bread, white flour, white potatoes). Try eating their healthier counterpart (brown rice, wheat flour, wheat bread, and sweet potatoes). Also, try and eat more fruit. AND TONS of water!
  • AdAstra47
    AdAstra47 Posts: 823 Member
    Options
    If you can, I strongly suggest that you talk to a doctor, get a metabolism test done (the three-hour glucose test) to get a snapshot of exactly how your body processes food. What works for one person won't necessarily work for another, you have to figure out what *your* particular body type needs.

I was right there with ya for 20 years, tried every diet under the sun, was faithful to them, counted calories, worked hard, made myself miserable... and still gained 7-10 lbs a year my entire adult life. Until two months ago when my doctor figured out that my body can't process carbs properly. On his advice, I've cut out all wheat, sugar, rice, corn & potatoes (limiting my carbs to 30 or fewer per day) and have begun eating at least 50 grams of protein every three hours. And for the first time in my life, I'm losing weight, a fairly steady 1.5 lbs a week.

So all of these well-meaning people on here giving contradictory advice are only able to tell you what works for *them.* You have to figure out what works for *you.* There are a few clues, though. Do you often have strong mood swings? That could indicate a sugar high/crash cycle. Eating lots of small, low-sugar, protein-rich meals throughout the day can help with that. Also, carrying a lot of concentrated weight in the belly area is often an indication that your problem is related to carbs/sugar processing rather than overeating or fat intake.

Good luck!
  • AdAstra47
    AdAstra47 Posts: 823 Member
    Options
    If you can, I strongly suggest that you talk to a doctor, get a metabolism test done (the three-hour glucose test) to get a snapshot of exactly how your body processes food. What works for one person won't necessarily work for another, you have to figure out what *your* particular body type needs.

I was right there with ya for 20 years, tried every diet under the sun, was faithful to them, counted calories, worked hard, made myself miserable... and still gained 7-10 lbs a year my entire adult life. Until two months ago when my doctor figured out that my body can't process carbs properly. On his advice, I've cut out all wheat, sugar, rice, corn & potatoes (limiting my carbs to 30 or fewer per day) and have begun eating at least 50 grams of protein every three hours. And for the first time in my life, I'm losing weight, a fairly steady 1.5 lbs a week.

So all of these well-meaning people on here giving contradictory advice are only able to tell you what works for *them.* You have to figure out what works for *you.* There are a few clues, though. Do you often have strong mood swings? That could indicate a sugar high/crash cycle. Eating lots of small, low-sugar, protein-rich meals throughout the day can help with that. Also, carrying a lot of concentrated weight in the belly area is often an indication that your problem is related to carbs/sugar processing rather than overeating or fat intake.

Good luck!
  • MsLadyVirgo
    MsLadyVirgo Posts: 160 Member
    Options
    I here ya. My first week I lost 4lbs, then gained 1.5 (second week). I was discouraged last Friday, I was given support through MFP, but I was still disappointed.

However to the Spa this weekend, and my masseuse notified me that my body feels different. She said that, "Your muscles are swollen, that's not a bad thang. You must have made some adjustments." I told her that I started working out doing both strength training & cardio. She said, “Normally you have fluid sitting on your upper back, but there was no major fluid.” I forgot to mention that I had a Detox-Therapeutic Treatment (sweating – like in the Sauna), and I also stopped using Anti Perspirant deodorant – which allows me to sweat in that area when exercising.
    I posted on the forum, and received feedback:
    • Are you drinking enough water – water retention?
    • Are you eating right – too many carbs?
    • Maybe your muscles are swollen….

In the above scenario, you can tell that my muscles were swollen, as well; there may be other contributing factors: water, sodium, carbs.... Now I’ve lost the 1.5 (3rd week), but nothing more.

You are so young and beautiful. Stay Encouraged,
  • calequestrian
    calequestrian Posts: 39 Member
    Options
    The jelly, the bread and the chips, so not good. Tons of sugar in the jelly, tons of carbs in the bread and the chips are never good for us. Usually for lunch I take the Smart Ones by weight watchers. I also keep a bag of salad here at work, craisens to snack on, I chop up veggies to snack on as well, drink tons of water. Stay away from the scale everyday, I usually weigh once a week, on a Sunday early in the morning, before I have eaten....LOL! Everything in moderation. Eat often during the day but in small portions...
  • MinnieInMaine
    MinnieInMaine Posts: 6,400 Member
    Options
    How many pounds per week do you have your goal set at?

When I first started, I went with the standard 1 pound per week and did lost 5 pounds pretty quickly but then stalled out for the next month After thinking about it for a bit, I realized that goal just didn't give me quite enough wiggle room. It seemed like if I went over even a little bit, that would throw me completely off.

So I changed my goal to 1.5 pounds a week and that gave me just the kickstart I needed. I eat back most, if not all, of my exercise calories and usually have one "cheat" day per week.
  • Tmrice721
    Tmrice721 Posts: 86 Member
    Options
    I agree with the others, limit the processed food, measure yourself and make sure you are getting enough rest. Your body need to regenerate after the vigarous workouts. Here's a link for the water intake. Don't get discouraged there will be ups and downs on this journey :flowerforyou:

http://www.calculatorslive.com/Daily-Water-Intake-Calculator.aspx
  • Leslie85
    Leslie85 Posts: 265 Member
    Options
    I agree with what others have said about limiting the processed food. Also, your calorie limit is pretty high- mine is 1200. Also, (and I had trouble with this too), but when I would see that I had calories left at the end of the day, I would eat stuff just because I could...not necessarily because I was hungry! And most of the time it was unhealthy. So, last time I want to the grocery store- all I bought was healthy stuff!

I know it's hard to change eating habits, but you're eating a lot of foods w/ lots of fats, sugars, carbs, etc. You've gotta stay away from the chips and cookies and animal crackers. Sometimes, I'll reward myself with a cookie or something yummy, but only here and there, definitely not everyday. Also, make sure you're getting lots of protein- it will help you stay full throughout the day! For breakfast (and dinner sometimes too!) I sometimes eat a scrambled egg and 2 Jimmy Dean Turkey sausage patties- only 190 calories and a lots of protein!