Vegetarians/Vegans/Raw Foodists?

Options
HJayBee
HJayBee Posts: 17 Member
Where are you?
I wish we could start a group or something. =/

But for the time being, show your face so we can add and support each other.
I have awesome veggie low cal recipes
but I want to exchange ideas.

Replies

• lizzybethclaire
    lizzybethclaire Posts: 849 Member
    Options
    I am a vegetarian. No longer almost vegan. I want to be vegan, but soy cheese is gross. Plus I gave in and ate chicken last night. I haven't had meat in awhile and it upset my stomach. It is hard to give up meat but the reward is worth it. My vegetarian favorite foods are: TVP (i love this. It has a nice "meaty" texture. Good in stews, chilis, and spaghetti) Scrambled tofu. I only like scrambled tofu. I don't like it any other way and believe me I have tried. Gimme Lean "fake burger" and "fake sausage" meats. boca burgers. Almond milk. Cheese (although I am trying to consume less of it). Nutella, Peanut butter, and wheat bread. Yum!
  • rlyoungers
    rlyoungers Posts: 14
    Options
    I'm a long-time vegetarian (about 8 years now) and I'm working toward becoming vegan. Feel free to friend me!
  • rlyoungers
    rlyoungers Posts: 14
    Options
    I am a vegetarian. No longer almost vegan. I want to be vegan, but soy cheese is gross. Plus I gave in and ate chicken last night. I haven't had meat in awhile and it upset my stomach. It is hard to give up meat but the reward is worth it. My vegetarian favorite foods are: TVP (i love this. It has a nice "meaty" texture. Good in stews, chilis, and spaghetti) Scrambled tofu. I only like scrambled tofu. I don't like it any other way and believe me I have tried. Gimme Lean "fake burger" and "fake sausage" meats. boca burgers. Almond milk. Cheese (although I am trying to consume less of it). Nutella, Peanut butter, and wheat bread. Yum!

Have you tried marinated baked tofu? It is my very favorite way of eating it...gets a really good chewy texture. I have a recipe if you want it.

And I hear you about the soy cheese being gross thing. I like the Daiya cheese okay but it's definitely not the same. I was always a huge cheese lover and even though Daiya works for something like a lasagna or pizza, I have a hard time giving up more specialty cheeses like smoked gouda or dill havarti. *sigh* I also get cravings for eggs sometimes, and last week I bought this little spinach strata thing from the coffee shop and it was sooooo good. :/
  • chilipeppers
    chilipeppers Posts: 119
    Options

Have you tried marinated baked tofu? It is my very favorite way of eating it...gets a really good chewy texture. I have a recipe if you want it.

And I hear you about the soy cheese being gross thing. I like the Daiya cheese okay but it's definitely not the same. I was always a huge cheese lover and even though Daiya works for something like a lasagna or pizza, I have a hard time giving up more specialty cheeses like smoked gouda or dill havarti. *sigh* I also get cravings for eggs sometimes, and last week I bought this little spinach strata thing from the coffee shop and it was sooooo good. :/
    Daiya is amazing! it's delicious and melty and wonderful! Teeze is good too! If you wanna go vegan you should develop a taste for nutritional yeast, it can add the "cheezy" bite you crave plus provide you with B12s!
  • adougherty10
    Options
    I'm a lacto-ovo vegetarian. I have been my entire adult life. Most of my meals are vegan but I can't call myself vegan yet (I love Quorn products & they have egg whites in them).

Feel free to friend me! I'd love to share ideas & low cal veggie recipes!
  • primaverapvr
    primaverapvr Posts: 14 Member
    Options
    I'm a recent vegan convert, yeah the cheese thing is hard but after a couple weeks things like Daiya don't taste as gross, i needed distance from the actual taste of cheese to not find fake cheese disgusting ;-)

add me, i guess i should make my recipes public to share.
  • lisabel87
    lisabel87 Posts: 152
    Options
    Been a vegetarian for 6 1/2 years! Tried veganism a few times, its expensive and I get bored haha
  • antijen
    antijen Posts: 112 Member
    Options
    25 year veggie here. Meat is no longer food to me. I am nursing a baby who is sensitive to soy and dairy, so I've been a "sorta vegan" for several months now. I hate eggs, but I still eat them as protein source occasionally. I think after the baby weans I'll go all out vegan, particularly if he's still has problems with soy and dairy.
  • raeanns
    raeanns Posts: 20 Member
    Options
    I am vegan. Feel free at add me too. I love Follow Your Heart "cheese".
  • DanceYogaRun
    DanceYogaRun Posts: 373 Member
    Options
    Daiya is my absolute fav! You do need to forget what cheese tastes like, I'm sure, lol.

Feel free to add me. Vegan.
  • oxavecamourxo
    oxavecamourxo Posts: 270 Member
    Options
    I'm trying to be a vegan! I haven't been one for very long, so I'm still learning, but I think I'm doing a pretty good job! Feel free to add me! :happy:
  • Winged_Victory
    Options
    Vegan convert here :-)
  • shannonichole
    shannonichole Posts: 126
    Options
    I've been veg for 11 years! Feel free to add me!!! :happy:
  • timeformajorchange
    Options
    I'm totally new to the idea that I may enjoy being a vegetarian and so I've only JUST started looking into more recipes and whatnot. My husband is one that needs meat every day. I actually prefer to have it more like once every couple weeks tops! Any tips for cooking for a family when our tastes differ? Any tips for slowly introducing the foods for a vegetarian lifestyle and weaning away from the meat aspect? I should mention we have 3 kids, and 8yro and twin 4yros. The 8yro is a rather picky eater, but like me seems to only want to eat meat on occasion. That's another reason I wanted to further research a vegetarian diet.

Also, probably a really stupid question, but I've always struggled with my weight and have spent much more time overweight than healthy. Would a vegetarian diet help me not only lose but to maintain the loss more easily than a "regular" diet? I'm looking into ways that will allow me to maintain the loss, without having to track every single calorie for the rest of my life. I want it to become "just food", instead of "the enemy" LOL

Any advice you can give a wanna-be-vegetarian would be fantastic and greatly appreciated! Any really great websites I should look at?
  • freerange
    freerange Posts: 1,722 Member
    Options
    bump
  • tanyamg
    tanyamg Posts: 30 Member
    Options
    vegan, vegetarian ? deft. add me too! I am vegetarian as well and lately about 80% vegan. Anyways add me :)
  • nicothepotato
    nicothepotato Posts: 306 Member
    Options
    I'm a lacto-vegetarian that sticks to vegan at home. I love Daiya pizzas, even though I do eat real cheese. I like the Follow Your Heart cheese brand too. I only eat that stuff when I'm craving comfort food really bad. Mostly I stay away from animal product substitutes. I find it easier to stay away from that stuff if I'm not still trying to find a good replacement.
  • Seajolly
    Seajolly Posts: 1,435 Member
    Options
    I'm a vegetarian and have been for almost 5 years now. I eat a lot of vegan food but still love cheese and yogurt too much and occasional eggs.
  • knkmfp
    knkmfp Posts: 295 Member
    Options
    I'm vegetarian, have been for almost 30 years. I try to avoid all dairy products, but slip up sometimes on products which I am not aware contain gelatine.

Fee free to add me, I'm always looking for meal inspiration.
  • happy_vegan
    happy_vegan Posts: 200 Member
    Options
    I'm totally new to the idea that I may enjoy being a vegetarian and so I've only JUST started looking into more recipes and whatnot. My husband is one that needs meat every day. I actually prefer to have it more like once every couple weeks tops! Any tips for cooking for a family when our tastes differ? Any tips for slowly introducing the foods for a vegetarian lifestyle and weaning away from the meat aspect? I should mention we have 3 kids, and 8yro and twin 4yros. The 8yro is a rather picky eater, but like me seems to only want to eat meat on occasion. That's another reason I wanted to further research a vegetarian diet.

Also, probably a really stupid question, but I've always struggled with my weight and have spent much more time overweight than healthy. Would a vegetarian diet help me not only lose but to maintain the loss more easily than a "regular" diet? I'm looking into ways that will allow me to maintain the loss, without having to track every single calorie for the rest of my life. I want it to become "just food", instead of "the enemy" LOL

Any advice you can give a wanna-be-vegetarian would be fantastic and greatly appreciated! Any really great websites I should look at?

hey there!
    i'm vegan and i've been vegetarian for about..6 years now. Basically what I would recommend is switching out the stuff they'll never know about! Ground beef is one of the easiest ones to replace. We served my dad "ground beef' for years and he NEVER noticed....people think they really 'need meat' but it's just the taste they want. If you use fake ground beef for things like hamburger helper type recipes, meatballs, taco filling, I highly doubt they'll even notice. Just DONT TELL THEM..they will protest. If you're making the food then you have the right to make things healthier/less ecologically damaging/cruelty-free).

A lot of the deli meats to me taste like the real thing so much that I don't want to eat them because they remind me of meat too much. This could just be me though, but I would give them a shot and see what you think. You might be able to pack them 'turkey sandwiches' and theyll never know that you're doing a good thing for them! If you tell them you're packing a soy-based healthy replacement for their tasty turkey sandwich they will definitely disagree.

I've also learned that (and I was never the proselytizing type before, only to those who come to me interested..) the less work you do telling people to change the more they don't mind changing. It makes sense.

I don't think that vegetarianism or even veganism is a cure-all for the bad food intake. Cookies are vegetarian. You can make any cookie vegan, too. But when you're at a restaurant and the options are garden burger or fried chicken then yes....the garden burger is likely to be healthier...but is it low calorie most of the time? no, because the way most places prepare things is with oil or grease...You still have to think about those things. Is it more likely to be healthier than the free-for-all of all things meaty and american? yes ma'am.
    i don't know what kind of cooking you do but I think that being vegan especially forces you to understand cooking and baking, unless you live someplace magical like austin or portland where being vegan is so common there are options all over the menus. If you don't already make your own food from scratch you really can make the healthiest possible meals because you have total control over everything you put into it. I find the calories for something I can make versus the pre-made version are usually like half or 1/3 of what industry wants me to eat.

this is my favorite food website, with an extensive forum and lots of SUPER TASTY recipes you'd never know were vegan unless you asked. she also has started putting up low cal versions of recipes. she's amazing
    http://www.theppk.com/

other good ones:
    peta.org
    http://vegweb.com/