Too much fat; too much protein ok BUT too much fiber?

zaz936
zaz936 Posts: 68 Member
edited September 27 in Health and Weight Loss
Hi,

Every day on this site, I bust my protein allowance. I have read someone that MFP tends to put it too low for exercising people, so I'm not too worried. Same with fat : every day I have cheese : BUSTED!

But I often go over on fiber and that puzzles me. Is fiber bad for you? What would be the consequences of too much fiber?

Thanks!

Replies

• doobabe
    doobabe Posts: 436 Member
    No such thing as too much protein or fiber, the more the merrier, especially if you are working out on a regular basis.
  • shonasteele
    shonasteele Posts: 473
    According to the book I'm reading the fibre amount on here is only about HALF of what they recommend every day so don't sweat it. I'm pretty sure as long as your bowels are still functioning there's no such thing as too much fibre ;o)
  • hedleyrocks247
    hedleyrocks247 Posts: 185 Member
    Nope Fiber is an awesome thing!! And MFP has it set a little to low as well.....so don't worry at all if you go over on Fiber - I actually try to most days!!!!!
  • staciekins
    staciekins Posts: 453 Member
    Fiber is good to go over as well. It's set even lower than protein. Aim for like 25-30g fiber per day. Especially if you go ober on protein as it can "back you up".
  • UpEarly
    UpEarly Posts: 2,555 Member
    I'm always trying to get MORE fiber and always fall short! I'd love to know some of the foods you're eating that help you get as much as you do.
  • savvystephy
    savvystephy Posts: 4,151 Member
    If you go over fiber a lot (the recommended is around 25 g for women I think), be sure to drink a lot of water to help your body pass it.. Otherwise you can end up being really really gassy, and it is uncomfortable (I know from personal experience of days with 40 g of fiber). :blushing:
  • Shirley61
    Shirley61 Posts: 7,758 Member
    Just heard this morning on the radio by Dr. Oz that we are not getting
    enough fiber in our diets. So I guess too much is okay as long as
    everything else works like normal.
  • McGruber03
    McGruber03 Posts: 113 Member
    The recommended daily allowance (RDA) for fiber is 25-35 grams, but you shouldn't go over 50 grams/day due to the risk of chelation (binding to minerals making them unavailable for absorption) and possible small bowel obstruction. It could also cause constipation and/or diarrhea, depending on what foods your get your fiber from. Also make sure to chew your food well and drink plenty of water if you are going to get excess amounts of fiber. However, it's not common to get too much fiber...you have to really be trying hard to do that, unless you are taking supplements, of course. Most people struggle with not getting enough fiber. It has SO many health benifits, so it's very important to get enough. Also, the RDA is for adults only. The RDA for kids under 18 is their age plus five grams.
  • anacsitham5
    anacsitham5 Posts: 810 Member
    I'm always trying to get MORE fiber and always fall short! I'd love to know some of the foods you're eating that help you get as much as you do.

I'm not a yogurt fan, but I do love the Fiber One Key Lime Yogurt. There are 5 grams of fiber in each serving and it is the lowest yogurt containing sugar. I think it's only 4 grams of sugar per serving. I don't like the peach or the strawberry, ugh. I also use the Flat out wraps. I believe each one has 9 grams of fiber, but only about 110 calories. I'm always over every day, I usually end up with 30 g a day.
  • ClareB1974
    ClareB1974 Posts: 224 Member
    I wrote a long reply to this just now and totally lost it when I lost connection!

The gist of it was, I am always over with protein, under with carbs, under with sat fat and over with fibre. I aim for about 30g fibre/day and generally fall a bit short of that, but aiming for it keeps me going! I find a high fibre diet keeps me fuller for longer and keeps the weight going down, so it's all good :-)
  • staciekins
    staciekins Posts: 453 Member

Here is one of my recipes. Low cal, low carb, high fiber, and high protein

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/blog/staciekins/view/low-cal-low-carb-gaucamole-chicken-wrap-99247
This discussion has been closed.