Any Former College Athletes Our There??

Options
I have been on MFP for a while and I have noticed that we (former college athletes) are in short supply. I have only met one so far and she has said the same thing, that it seems like we are the minority. If you are out there, please let me know because I would love to find more people out there that know what it is like for us (fitness wise). Plus, we can all use the support out there. Look forward to meeting everyone that is like me!

**Note: I am a former Volleyball player who played for Auburn University**

Should have said Out, not Our!

Replies

• Redness82
    Redness82 Posts: 134 Member
    Options
    I am a former (retired, I like to think) competitive swimmer. I only swam one year in college at St. Cloud State, but I had swum competitively for 10 years, year round.
  • jsonnett02
    jsonnett02 Posts: 110
    Options
    I was a softball pitcher for Whitworth University!! woot woot!!!

feel free to add me!!
  • MrsMeggieMac
    Options
    I had a full ride softball scholarship to Lincoln Memorial University in TN. I played for 20 years and now I just coach and play slow pitch. I miss it.
  • SRS1226
    SRS1226 Posts: 37
    Options
    I was a thrower and sprinter throughout high school and college. I also played soccer in pick-up games. I'm also an awesome bowler :) I still compete in open track meets if I'm not coaching.
  • AllyS7
    AllyS7 Posts: 480 Member
    Options
    Former college softball player! Eastern Illinois University, Go panthers!
  • Mad_Dog_Muscle
    Mad_Dog_Muscle Posts: 1,251 Member
    Options
    played college baseball
  • bluefox9er
    bluefox9er Posts: 2,917 Member
    Options
    football, Notre Dame but I was more of a punchbag for the varsity team as an intermittent member of the practice squad a LONG time ago! never played a down, never suited for a game but dressed for 6 hour practices each and every day :-(
  • Mad_Dog_Muscle
    Options
    I was a thrower and sprinter throughout high school and college. I also played soccer in pick-up games. I'm also an awesome bowler :) I still compete in open track meets if I'm not coaching.
    describe awesome bowler! :bigsmile: :bigsmile:
  • brandi2258
    brandi2258 Posts: 46 Member
    Options
    I played a year of college basketball before I didn't love the game anymore. So, yeah, I was a college athlete for a short while. Feel free to add me. I was recently thinking of playing again. I think I might now :happy:
  • Raylynn87
    Raylynn87 Posts: 12 Member
    Options
    I played tennis in high school and college. Even managed to make all catholic in high school. I could have been really good if I was in better shape. Now I'm not really doing any form of exercise. I really miss playing tennis....
  • SRS1226
    SRS1226 Posts: 37
    Options

I carry about a 190 average -- finally getting back into it after about a 5 year hiatus (unless you count the time I took it for gym class in college)
  • Mad_Dog_Muscle
    Options
    football, Notre Dame but I was more of a punchbag for the varsity team as an intermittent member of the practice squad a LONG time ago! never played a down, never suited for a game but dressed for 6 hour practices each and every day :-(
    So you were like Rudy?? :bigsmile:

That still pretty awesome though even if it was the practice squad. I dont think people realize how difficult even that can be at that level.
  • Mad_Dog_Muscle
    Options

I carry about a 190 average -- finally getting back into it after about a 5 year hiatus (unless you count the time I took it for gym class in college)
    Uh, ya, I'd call that pretty awesome! :bigsmile: :drinker:
    I bowled for many many years through high school and into my 30s...... carried about a 186 average my last year on a league. still like going now and then...... I travel too much to be in a league unfortunately.
  • dieseljay74
    dieseljay74 Posts: 376
    Options
    Defenseman for the Niagara Scenic Hockey team
  • jamie31
    jamie31 Posts: 568 Member
    Options
    Former College Softball Player here!
  • simplyshannal
    simplyshannal Posts: 188 Member
    Options
    AWESOME! It is so great to find all of you! I keep getting questioned by people who don't know anything about the endurance training and utter hard work it takes to be an athlete of how in the heck I can be a size 4-6 at 170 lbs (when I weight that) :sad: because they weight less than that and are a size 10. I get a little annoyed at the fact that they don't understand that our bodies are conditioned differently, weather we have maintained our weight or gained, we are still what we are.
  • ksharon22
    ksharon22 Posts: 111
    Options
    I played a year of college basketball before I didn't love the game anymore. So, yeah, I was a college athlete for a short while. Feel free to add me. I was recently thinking of playing again. I think I might now :happy:

Same for me with basketball as well.
  • bluefox9er
    bluefox9er Posts: 2,917 Member
    Options
    So you were like Rudy?? :bigsmile:

That still pretty awesome though even if it was the practice squad. I dont think people realize how difficult even that can be at that level.

LOL..NOTHING like Rudy..he managed to get suited up and play a few downs, I was just a human punchbag, us guys never got cookies on our doorstep or brownies or good luck messages before a game but it was a labour of love, not for the extreme pain and long hours!
  • grulz
    grulz Posts: 15
    Options
    I am a former (retired, I like to think) competitive swimmer. I only swam one year in college at St. Cloud State, but I had swum competitively for 10 years, year round.

Hi, cool to hear you used to swim! Im a competitive swimmer (still trucking along) from New Zealand and havent found any swimmers/ex swimmers on here yet. Only 19 but started competing at 6 so been competing for the last 13 years. do you miss it much or was it a happy retirement? =)
  • FitMama2013
    FitMama2013 Posts: 919 Member
    Options
    I swam at Marshall University!