Vegetarian meat!

Options
I've been vegetarian for over 6 years and i LOVE frozen food and other meat imitations. I could eat the morning star corndogs and bacon for days...
What does everyone think about eating them? I know they are processed and a lot of them have junk ingredients, but they are just soo tasty!

Replies

• lisabel87
    lisabel87 Posts: 152
    Options
    oh also, has anyone tried gardein products! They seem to be the healthier meat imitations and some of them have as much as 17g of protein per serving!
  • rlyoungers
    rlyoungers Posts: 14
    Options
    I just had some of Nate's meatless meatballs with my spaghetti at lunch, they are super yummy! (Trader Joe's also sells them under their label). Other favorites are Field Roast sausage links and tofurky deli slices. I know everybody liked gardein but I think the texture is a little stringy/rubbery. Quorn has an amazing texture, we love the naked cutlets and chik'n nuggets.

I don't think there's anything wrong with fake meats. I mean, nobody is going to convince me that a "real" chicken nugget (full of that gross meat paste that includes who knows what) is healthier than a Quorn or morningstar nugget. I don't think they are health food or anything, but they are a fun treat to have every now and then and they come in very handy for BBQs and other social situations.
  • fortworthbret
    Options
    I'm very close to vegetarian (I was for 15 years) and now I eat fish only. I agree about the morning star nuggets (I like the spicy ones) sure, they're not exactly healthy, but there is no way they're worse than whatever is ground up in the nuggets from fast food joints.
  • adougherty10
    Options
    I agree (I've been veg for about 12 years or so)! I love the Quorn products (though I wish they were vegan)! I also love the morning star corn dogs - that is one of the few things I can get my 6-year-old to eat :)

Sure, they aren't perfect but there are a lot of worse things you could be eating! :)