Changing it up on the treadmill....ideas?

Options
poesch77
poesch77 Posts: 1,005 Member
So the last month I have been going on the treadmill 25-30 minutes 4-5x/week on an incline.....I usually start at 3.5mph at an 6 or 8 incline then gradually go down ending at 2mph on a 2 incline towards the end of my workout.....now reading some posts with stalled weightloss some have suggested changing up exercise routines because after 30days of same routine weightloss stalls. I have been on since middle of March and have only lost 10lbs. Not sure how else to change up routine on the treadmill.....walking on an incline burns way more calories then just walking for an hour on there...which is hard for me to do....I have a 5month old who doe'snt nap!! Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated. PS....I am a large gal and have tried to jog/walk but it kills my knees...not sure how to get this fat off quick enuf!!

Replies

• kdiamond
    kdiamond Posts: 3,329 Member
    Options
    Well if you find it hard to run than interval training won't be a good fit for you...

What about a low impact DVD? Gilad Total Body Sculpt is a good one.
  • staciekins
    staciekins Posts: 453 Member
    Options
    I highly recommend the Couch to 5K program. It is supposed to get you to being able to run a 5K in 9 weeks
    http://www.c25k.com/c25k_treadmill.html
  • cdalt24
    cdalt24 Posts: 55
    Options
    hey there! congrats on the ten pounds, that's awesome. there's so many exercises you can do to switch it up. you can use a stationary bike or try an elliptical machine, which are both great cardio exercises! now that it's getting to be summer, try swimming laps in the pool. you can also go to classes like zumba or spinning, which are really fun. I know none of those involve the treadmill, but switching it up keeps me from getting bored!
  • beckajw
    beckajw Posts: 1,738 Member
    Options
    What about doing weights every other day?
  • poesch77
    Options
    I was very curious about Zumba too......sounds fun!
  • getsveltEagain
    getsveltEagain Posts: 1,063 Member
    Options
    I highly recommend the Couch to 5K program. It is supposed to get you to being able to run a 5K in 9 weeks
    http://www.c25k.com/c25k_treadmill.html

I recommend the c25K as well... great work out that is proven by the many "graduates" over time!
  • sweetiepie31612
    sweetiepie31612 Posts: 240 Member
    Options
    Do you have access to an elliptical? Personally, I loathe the treadmill. We are in an ongoing fight with each other. If you can I would recommend switching to the elliptical. If you can't, what about biking, either at the gym, or investing in a bike for yourself. Riding a bike is an excellent workout. If you're looking for things just on the treadmill, maybe do 5 min. intervals. Do the 1st 5 mins at a steep incline and the next 5 at no incline (keeping the same pace). See how many of those you can do before dropping down to a slower pace.
  • Qarol
    Qarol Posts: 6,171 Member
    Options
    I can't run, either. I have tendonitis in my ankle, and it just burns if I run. So painful. No Couch to 5K program would help me.

Instead of trying to get in more intensity, try varying it. One day, walk briskly on a high incline. The next day, leave out the incline. You won't burn as many calories, but it could be just the thing to shake things up for your body. Vary the speeds from day to day. Or even within the same workout. You don't have to run to burn calories. And maybe a couple days a week, skip the treadmill altogether and do some calisthenics. Ab crunches, legs lifts, squats, light weights for your arms, etc.

And don't forget to stretch before AND after each workout!
  • flausa
    flausa Posts: 534 Member
    Options
    I'm not a runner (yet), as I'm training for a power walk. You don't need to run on the treadmill, but try increasing your walking speed for a few minutes and lowering it like you would do with other interval training. If you need to hold onto the rails to go a bit faster, do so for short times only. Keep the incline on, because as you mentioned, your calorie burn is much higher in a shorter time. Make sure you spend time stretching after every walk. I know that you're desperate to lose the weight now, but be patient with yourself and your body. As you get fitter and your heart gets stronger, you'll be able to push yourself further. I'd recommend keeping a chart of your walks - duration/distance/speeds/calorie burns and watch how you improve over the next few weeks and months. It will help you keep going. And just remember ... YOU DON'T HAVE TO RUN TO LOSE WEIGHT!!!
  • poesch77
    Options
    Do you have access to an elliptical? Personally, I loathe the treadmill. We are in an ongoing fight with each other. If you can I would recommend switching to the elliptical. If you can't, what about biking, either at the gym, or investing in a bike for yourself. Riding a bike is an excellent workout. If you're looking for things just on the treadmill, maybe do 5 min. intervals. Do the 1st 5 mins at a steep incline and the next 5 at no incline (keeping the same pace). See how many of those you can do before dropping down to a slower pace.

I struggle with the Eliptical cuz of my knees.....I own a bike but unfortnately with a baby who can't sit up by herself yet....impossible. I do like the interval/incline idea tho....I think I might try this tonite.....THANKS!!
  • ExerciseGeek
    ExerciseGeek Posts: 183 Member
    Options
    Ive just recently changed my treadmill workout, I used to run/ walk for approx 15mins, with a incline of 2.5 and speed on 10.
    I now do 2 min sprints on no incline, but speed of 14, I then walk for a min and then run again twice, so three in total. I burn more calories that way and I sweat like mad.
    I think it burns fat quicker when you sprint!!

Keep it up :)
  • brndygrl98
    brndygrl98 Posts: 196 Member
    Options
    Do you have Netflix or rent videos ever? Or, do you have a Playstation 2 or 3?? I was stuck just doing the treadmill and I started alternating every other day with aerobics. I use Yourself Fitness for the PS2 and I have some aerobic DVDs as well. If you have Netflix, you could get some Zumba or other fun aerobic DVDs. You could also switch up every day with a stroller walk outside followed by some hand weightlifting.