Why eat healthy food?

Options
I am wondering if someone can touch on why people talk so much about eating "healthy" calories. I realize there is a reason behind it. But if you have 1500 calories a day, why does it necessarily matter where the calories come from if calories in=calories out. If you eat 1500 calories of macaroni & cheese, a Snicker's bar, and italian sandwich, why does it matter that it wasn't 1500 calories of egg whites, almonds, brown rice, and lean turkey with veggies?

This is just something that confuses me when I hear people talk about how they "cheated" but did not go over their calories. I consider cheating when I go over my calories. So can someone help me understand why eating healthy calories instead of unhealthy calories will help you lose more weight, even if it is the same calorie count. Sorry if this post is confusing, I just don't understand how it makes a difference and want to understand why healthy calories are more important to weight loss. Thanks in advance!

Replies

• erickirb
    erickirb Posts: 12,293 Member
    Options
    For weight loss calories in vs calories out doesn't matter the source, or only matters somewhat.
    For good health, high energy, and weight loss, it matters what you eat not just the calories. You can eat 3000 calories a day and still be malnourished if you are not getting all the vitamins and minerals you need, not to mention eating bad on 1500 cals will probably have you go over on saturated fat, trans fat, sugar, and sodium, all of which can lead to health problems even if you are losing weight.
  • redqueenKD
    redqueenKD Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    Food is fuel for the body, the same as putting gas in your car. If you put anything other than gas in your gas tank you are not going to get out of the drive way. Look at feeding your body the same way - the better the food, the better the performance.
  • Jillk1023
    Jillk1023 Posts: 121 Member
    Options
    :laugh:
  • Steveeee
    Steveeee Posts: 62
    Options
    I've wondered this also. If you don't go over your calories and other micronutrients, what's the difference?
  • Ashalahn_LMT
    Ashalahn_LMT Posts: 342 Member
    Options
    Because unhealthy calories mean you are most likely robbing your body of proper nutrients. It's not purely calories in and calories out. Your body needs a healthy ratio of vitamins, minerals, and nutrients that can not necessarily be supplied in junk food. Sure, you could probably lose weight simply by eating junk food and maintaining a calorie deficit, but it would wreak havoc on your body. And you will find eating healthy choices often means you can eat more frequently and/or increase portion sizes. A fast food meal can probably fill your calorie needs for a day, but are you really only going to eat one meal a day? Where eating healthy proteins, good carbs, and healthy fats allow you to have proper meals spaced evenly through the day.
  • linsben
    linsben Posts: 108 Member
    Options
    Reaally? Like seriously? because its better for your health. I'd say the majority of people on this site have weight loss goals for health reasons.
  • MB_Positif
    MB_Positif Posts: 8,897 Member
    Options
    The easiest way to explain this is that keeping your choices healthy has additional health benefits above and beyond weight loss. Also if you are just eating things full of sugar and sodium it will keep you from losing weight. I could go on with some examples, but think about it. If you eat 10 snickers a day but it's within your calorie goals do you really think you'll lose weight?
  • cdalt24
    cdalt24 Posts: 55
    Options
    hello! first of all, it doesn't always have to do with the amount of calories involved. there are more factors to that... such as the sugar content, fat, sodium, carbs, protein, etc. one snickers bar has 280 calories, with 36 carbs, and 16 fats. four ounces of salmon also has 16 fats, but has ZERO carbs an 225 calories. you want to look for the food that is low in all these categories.
  • staciekins
    staciekins Posts: 453 Member
    Options
    I really hope this isn't a serious question. It is a no brainer, but if it is:
    Because nutrition is a huge part of weight loss and being healthy. If you eat your cals in whoppers, the sodium and fat will do nothing but harm you. And when you eat healthy, the calories for each food tend to be a lot less and you can eat more of the food. Not to mention, it your eating healthier, you will feel much better. It would be like putting diesel in your car. It might run for a couple minutes, but it harms the inside causing it to run like crap and eventualy expire at an early age.
  • natmadc
    natmadc Posts: 116 Member
    Options
    I guess if your only looking at Calories..But I'm sure if your consuming all that, that your Carbs, Sodium, and Fat Grams will be well over what you should be consuming. And if thats the case your loading your body with a whole lots of unnecessary "bad things" that can be avoided with healthier choices.
  • erickirb
    erickirb Posts: 12,293 Member
    Options
    The easiest way to explain this is that keeping your choices healthy has additional health benefits above and beyond weight loss. Also if you are just eating things full of sugar and sodium it will keep you from losing weight. I could go on with some examples, but think about it. If you eat 10 snickers a day but it's within your calorie goals do you really think you'll lose weight?

yes you probably would lose weight, but you would be sick and unhealthy and your energy levels will be out of whack.
  • Qarol
    Qarol Posts: 6,171 Member
    Options
    Malnutrition comes to mind. A lot of obese people are actually suffering from malnutrition. Plus, nutrient dense foods will keep you more satisfied and are better for your overall health. There are probably lots of thin people out there who have serious health issues on the inside, that you can't see. A healthy diet is a combination of how much you eat and what you eat. If you go over your calories with very healthy food, guess what? You're still going to gain weight.
  • misschocolate82
    Options
    glad someone else has asked this.....as I have pretty much curbed my calorie intake yet still eating the same kinds of foods.....I know its not 'ideal' but it makes it possible for me to stick at it, plus when cooking for a family of 7 I need convenience too.
  • momma3sweetgirls
    momma3sweetgirls Posts: 743 Member
    Options
    You're right, a calorie is a calorie no matter what type of food it is. However, some 'unhealthy' foods are high in fat, cholesterol, and/or sodium - all of which, in large quantities, can lead to health issues (high blood pressure, heart disease, high cholesterol, etc...). You might not gain weight from eating 'bad' calories, but your body and health will suffer. Think vitamins, minerals, and the macronutrients. You're not getting a balanced diet if all you eat is junk. I eat my fair share of said junk, but I also try to eat my veggies too!
  • xtinalovexo
    xtinalovexo Posts: 1,376 Member
    Options
    i eat healthy because i want to be healthy and not be sick and have health problems such as high cholesterol, bp, and become diabetic. 1200 cals of snickers vs 1200 cals of fruits and veggies....hmm i wonder.
  • chantel111184
    chantel111184 Posts: 124 Member
    Options
    I am wondering if someone can touch on why people talk so much about eating "healthy" calories. I realize there is a reason behind it. But if you have 1500 calories a day, why does it necessarily matter where the calories come from if calories in=calories out. If you eat 1500 calories of macaroni & cheese, a Snicker's bar, and italian sandwich, why does it matter that it wasn't 1500 calories of egg whites, almonds, brown rice, and lean turkey with veggies?

This is just something that confuses me when I hear people talk about how they "cheated" but did not go over their calories. I consider cheating when I go over my calories. So can someone help me understand why eating healthy calories instead of unhealthy calories will help you lose more weight, even if it is the same calorie count. Sorry if this post is confusing, I just don't understand how it makes a difference and want to understand why healthy calories are more important to weight loss. Thanks in advance!

I can't talk for everyone but the reason i eat healthy is not only to lose weight it is also to create a healthy lifestyle in which i know my body can live to the full gain all the nutrients that are necessary for my body to function plus living on 1200cal of junk food would not help lose body fat, which is also one of my aims is to lose body fat. I am not saying that i don't eat the odd chocolate or plate of chips just on occasion not everyday.
  • momma3sweetgirls
    momma3sweetgirls Posts: 743 Member
    Options
    hello! first of all, it doesn't always have to do with the amount of calories involved. there are more factors to that... such as the sugar content, fat, sodium, carbs, protein, etc. one snickers bar has 280 calories, with 36 carbs, and 16 fats. four ounces of salmon also has 16 fats, but has ZERO carbs an 225 calories. you want to look for the food that is low in all these categories.

This is the second post I've seen today that mentions Snickers...I-WANT-ONE-NOOOOWWWWWW!
  • hockeyman28
    hockeyman28 Posts: 136
    Options
    I eat healthy calories for two reasons:
    1. I can eat more. I need to be "full" That doesn't mean I dont eat some of the old stuff, I do, I just eat WAY less.

2. I know that balancing the vitamins and minerals and nutrients etc. is what works best for my body for weight loss. I've tried both, and my body is a fat furnace when I eat right.
  • Pandorian
    Pandorian Posts: 2,055 MFP Moderator
    Options
    The "healthy" natural foods are as they grow or minimally processed, maybe flash frozen like the raspberries I have as often as I can manage (currently out) come with micro-nutrients and vitamins etc.
    I have a problem with "Enriched flour' where they take the whole-grain, remove the best stuff for you and then take the end result and add back in vitamins and the like that they took out in the process of making it white flour, just so a company can make more money off of it. I really wish I knew a farmer (large-scale farming) that was actually getting most of the money for even the flour from their product but they're not, they grow the raw material, dealing with too much or too little rain etc, then someone buys it... anyway they sure don't get the $1/lb I think it was the last time I looked at flour, $10 for a 10lb bag maybe a bit less, the farmer gets pennies of that if he's lucky.
    A chocolate bar laughably has a so called "nutritional info" label on it when it's not very nutritious at all (in general) the sugars are highly processed, and isolated from any of the other micro-nutrients that might benefit you, artificial colours / flavours etc to make it palatable....
    Healthy tastes better, healthy food will fill you up longer, and if you grow some of your own food like I do you come to appreciate what goes in to being able to get the food we can just grab off the grocery store shelf when the system is working properly.
  • bcpie
    bcpie Posts: 89
    Options
    Some theories suggest that the ratio of carbs to proteins to fats has an effect on how quickly you will lose weight.