How does a triathalon work?

Options
I'm in no way ready for this, but Ironman in Orlando just ran through my neighborhood and onto Disney last weekend. We have some mini-tri's, shorter than even a half-ironman, I guess and I know I'm not ready for that either, but I got to thinking...how does it all work?

Like is swimming last so your not soaked the whole time? What do you do with your googles and swim cap afterward? What about your bike? and running shoes?

Just curious. Thanks!

Replies

• nikkicarter13
    nikkicarter13 Posts: 231 Member
    Options
    Tri's can be any distance. I did a sprint one last year which was 0.25 mile swim, 12 mile bike and 3.1 mile run, in that order. Everything is kept in a transition area which you set up your stuff before the race.
  • jrich1
    jrich1 Posts: 2,408 Member
    Options
    I know the shortest I think is a Sprint level one that is 350m swim 13 mile bike ride and a 5k run in that order. ITs my goal to eventually do one.
  • thkelly
    thkelly Posts: 466 Member
    Options
    copied and pasted

According to the International Triathlon Union, and USA Triathlon, the main international race distances are Sprint distance (750 m swim, 20 km bike, 5 km run), Intermediate (or Standard) distance, commonly referred to as "Olympic distance" (1.5 km swim, 40 km ride, 10 km run), the Long Course (1.9 km swim, 90 km ride, 21.1 km run, such as the Half Ironman), and Ultra Distance (3.8 km swim, 180 km ride, and a marathon: 42.2 km run); the most recognized branded Ultra Distance is the Ironman triathlon
  • SoCalSwimmerDude
    SoCalSwimmerDude Posts: 480 Member
    Options
    my personal opinion is that the swim is never long enough compared to the biking and running.
  • DrBorkBork
    DrBorkBork Posts: 4,099 Member
    Options
    I want to start competing in Tri's, but I don't have a racing bike. Should I appeal to my friends to see if any of them have one? Or should I try using my mountain bike?
  • jabbogurl
    jabbogurl Posts: 193
    Options
    I want to start competing in Tri's, but I don't have a racing bike. Should I appeal to my friends to see if any of them have one? Or should I try using my mountain bike?

I was wondering that too, if you HAD to use a certain bike? I'm sure if its an official one you do.
  • jabbogurl
    jabbogurl Posts: 193
    Options
    copied and pasted

According to the International Triathlon Union, and USA Triathlon, the main international race distances are Sprint distance (750 m swim, 20 km bike, 5 km run), Intermediate (or Standard) distance, commonly referred to as "Olympic distance" (1.5 km swim, 40 km ride, 10 km run), the Long Course (1.9 km swim, 90 km ride, 21.1 km run, such as the Half Ironman), and Ultra Distance (3.8 km swim, 180 km ride, and a marathon: 42.2 km run); the most recognized branded Ultra Distance is the Ironman triathlon

42.2 km run! Good God! I'm already dead! lol
  • Somnifac
    Somnifac Posts: 30 Member
    Options

If you're doing local sprint tri's, I'd be shocked if you can't use any bike you want. You won't be terribly competitive in the bike section on a mtn bike, but if you're doing the tri for you, I don't think that really matters.
  • DrBorkBork
    Options
    If you're doing local sprint tri's, I'd be shocked if you can't use any bike you want. You won't be terribly competitive in the bike section on a mtn bike, but if you're doing the tri for you, I don't think that really matters.

Guess it's time to get my bike tuned up then!
  • kobzal
    kobzal Posts: 74 Member
    Options

I was wondering that too, if you HAD to use a certain bike? I'm sure if its an official one you do.

I have done a few sprint and olympic distance tris and I have seen people use mountain bikes for the sprint ones, but not so much for the olympic ones. There are no rules telling you what kind of bike to use, you can use whatever you like. It's just a matter of comfort, speed and efficiency.
  • fteale
    fteale Posts: 5,310 Member
    Options
    I would love to do one, but I hate hate hate swimming. I wish there was a non-swimming version.
  • baldzach
    baldzach Posts: 1,841 Member
    Options
    Look around. There are triathlons of all kinds of distances. The swim is first, almost always, because it's often in a lake, and you can't just pull over if you're tired from biking and running and rest for a second. Then you exit the water and run into the transition area where you put on your bike shoes and helmet and usually sunglasses, then push your bike out of transition to the "mount line" where you can get on and begin the ride. After the ride, you enter transition (usually on the opposite side) and dismount the bike, take off your bike shoes and helmet, put on your running shoes, and away you go. Google it, there's all kinds of information out there.
  • DrBorkBork
    Options
    What if you wear your running shoes to bike with? Is that allowed? Can ya just wear vibrams the whole time & save a ton of time in transition?
  • zojo78
    zojo78 Posts: 29 Member
    Options
    I would love to do one, but I hate hate hate swimming. I wish there was a non-swimming version.

Are you English or American? I'm English - and I know that in London they have a duathlon which is run/bike/run. Try searching the net to see if there's one near where you live? :-)
  • kobzal
    kobzal Posts: 74 Member
    Options
    What if you wear your running shoes to bike with? Is that allowed? Can ya just wear vibrams the whole time & save a ton of time in transition?

Yes, you can wear the same shoes to bike and run with. The benefit to having bike shoes that clip into your pedals is you get extra speed from the pulling up motion in addition to the pushing down motion. Plus the soles on a bike shoe are extra stiff to give you foot some support.
  • SoCalSwimmerDude
    SoCalSwimmerDude Posts: 480 Member
    Options

If you google triathalons, you'll see tons of options... and some of them don't have swimming.
  • fteale
    fteale Posts: 5,310 Member
    Options

Are you English or American? I'm English - and I know that in London they have a duathlon which is run/bike/run. Try searching the net to see if there's one near where you live? :-)

I am near London. Run bike run would be perfect for me. My other worry is changing underwear! I can't swim in a bra, and I can't cycle or run without an industrial one. Thanks.
  • Merlesgirl
    Options
    I used my mtn bike for the first couple. I would say try a few before investing too much. There is a great blog:
    http://www.cheaptrigear.com/

You can do your first couple with some very basic equipment
  • Merlesgirl
    Options

Google Duathalon :wink: it's only biking and running!
  • Merlesgirl
    Options

I am near London. Run bike run would be perfect for me. My other worry is changing underwear! I can't swim in a bra, and I can't cycle or run without an industrial one. Thanks.

Sure you can - wear a good sports bra under your swimsuit - most women practice this very sensible approach in the tri :)