Calories vs. Sodium: Sour Cream & Onion Challenge

Options
JPayne53
JPayne53 Posts: 235 Member
So here is my question: Which is actually the better choice? Quaker Sour Cream & Onion Mini Rice Cakes or Lay's Sour Cream & Onion Potato Chips? I will give you my theory and please give me some feedback!

Quaker: Serving size is 17 mini cakes with, 420mg Sodium, 5g Fat, 21g Carbs, 130 Calories.
Lays: Serving size is 1 oz, 160mg Sodium, 10g Fat, 15g Carb, 160 Calories.

So if you notice (for those of you who track Sodium intake this particularly pertains to you).. when you plug your exercise in for the day your food diary will show an increase in the amount of calories, fat, & Carbs you can now ingest but DOES NOT change your sodium levels. So since you can burn the extra calories and fat (the Carbs AND Sodium levels are already on the better end for the Lay's chips) and Sodium has the potential for more water retention... is the better choice to eat the chips rather than the rice cakes? I find that if I go over my Sodium levels I tend to look "puffier" and add a pound or 2 to the scale... What would be your choice? I'm gonna enjoy my chips! :blushing:

Replies

• alexbowser
    alexbowser Posts: 322
    Options
    I'd chose the chips, provided you're sure you can stick to a single serving.
  • CatchThatKitten
    Options
    I would be chomping those chips so fast you wouldn't have TIME to think "sodium" much less say it out loud!
  • foxxybrown
    foxxybrown Posts: 838 Member
    Options
    Didn't you have a post recently about why you weren't losing weight? You may want to re-evaluate your food choices. I would choose neither. Nothing wrong with having foods in moderation but if you are wondering why you aren't losing weight then you should focus on your food intake and not your exercise.
  • sblair77
    sblair77 Posts: 355 Member
    Options
    I make my own veggie chips and after they are cooled and crisp I can add some flavors and seasoning....recently I added a sour cream and onion low sodium dry mix and it was delicious!
  • JPayne53
    Options
    Didn't you have a post recently about why you weren't losing weight? You may want to re-evaluate your food choices. I would choose neither. Nothing wrong with having foods in moderation but if you are wondering why you aren't losing weight then you should focus on your food intake and not your exercise.

I was just asking a question for comparison and seeing what others would rather choose, sodium over calories and these were the closest items I could find at this moment and time. I do believe all things in moderation, but neither of these things are what I eat on a daily basis... BUT if I DO choose to eat them I made my choice... I am very good with portion control and would be able to limit it to that, just thought it could be some food for thought for others out there watching sodium intake.
  • JPayne53
    Options
    I make my own veggie chips and after they are cooled and crisp I can add some flavors and seasoning....recently I added a sour cream and onion low sodium dry mix and it was delicious!

Sounds delicious... how do you make them? Baked? Dehydrated? Mmmm.. Mmmm, I'd love to know! :wink:
  • _SusieQ_
    _SusieQ_ Posts: 2,964 Member
    Options

me too, would love to have a recipe for veggie chips! I have tried before and never could perfect it!
  • sblair77
    sblair77 Posts: 355 Member
    Options
    I slice them with a mandelian (sp), I lay them out on paper towels, spray them with non fat cooking spray, add just a bit of a salt substitute (I have high blood pressure) and black pepper. I let mine sit for about 30 minutes.

I don't have a dehydrator so I put them in the microwave wrapped in paper towels for a few minutes (depends on which veggie and the thickness but typically 3 mins each side) and then flip them and microwave again.

Next I place them on crisper baking sheets that has those air holes. I bake them on 250 checking them every 5 minutes until I think they look right and flip them and do the same thing again.

It took me a lot of playing with the time for different veggies but you will learn quickly how you like them.

I let them cool - usually this is when they get real crispy.

Then I throw them in a large zip lock baggy and add any seasoning I want and toss.

I like large radishes, butternut squash, large carrots, turnips, parsnips, eggplant and beets.

I never have luck with yellow squash or zucchini unless I cut them super thick.
  • _SusieQ_
    _SusieQ_ Posts: 2,964 Member
    Options
    bump

Thanks for the recipe for the chips, I'm totally going to try that this weekend! I LOVE chips!!!! :)