Replies

• stcar
    stcar Posts: 207 Member
    Options
    Fiber One Honey Clusters :)
  • katiek326
    katiek326 Posts: 1
    Options
    I agree with Kashi, Cheerios, Rice Chex, Rice Krispies. I find that sugar free oatmeal and fruit or basically anything else for breakfast is more filling than cereal. Once I got away from it, I stopped missing it after a while!
  • Painten
    Painten Posts: 499 Member
    Options
    I alternate between special k and weetabix each morning. I think you've got to differentiate between healthy and low calorie. For breakfast there's a lot healthier than cereal but lo cal and quick is what i go for in a morning. When i did slimming world a few years back special k was the same amount of syns as crunchy nut cornflakes, cheerios and that kind of thing, that say lot about what really is in special k. As you can see from some of your other responses for a lot of us it's about low cal first then healthy, when it comes to breakfast.
  • steve4580
    steve4580 Posts: 32
    Options
    Quaker Oatmeal Squares, Raisin Bran, Wheaties, and maybe Kashi Island Vanilla. All have good fiber. Fiber is my weight loss friend!
  • bizco
    bizco Posts: 1,949 Member
    Options
    Good tasting HEALTHY adult cereals DO exist.

The Nature's Path organic, gluten free cereal's are great. More info here: http://www.naturespath.com/products/cold cereals?tid=5&brand=All&nutri=All

The Crunchy Maple Surprise, Crunchy Vanilla Surprise and Flax Plus boxes contain 110 calories per 2/3 cup serving. I have one serving with a 1/4 cup of sugar-free almond milk, which is only 40cal/cup. So my breakfast only has 120 calories, loads of fibre & protein and I don't feel weighed down because the carbohydrate content is very low for a cereal.
    How many grams in a serving? Check the box. If you actually weigh 2/3 cup on a digital food scale, I guarantee you it weighs more than what the cereal box panel claims is a single serving. You're actually eating more than 110 calories. This adds up fast!
  • myofibril
    myofibril Posts: 4,500 Member
    Options
    Make your own. You can tweak the ingredients to your liking and it tastes much nicer than store purchased stuff.

The following is based on a Jamie Oliver recipe which I used to make all the time. I must make up another batch as I have got out of the habit...

8 large handfuls of organic rolled oats
    2 large handfuls of ground bran
    1 handful of chopped dried apricots
    1 handful of chopped dried dates
    1 handful of crumbled walnuts
    1 handful of smashed or shopped almonds, hazelnuts or brazil nuts
    milk (or soya/almond/oat milk) to cover
    1/2 crunchy apple per portion, washed and unpeeled

Put oats and bran into a large Tupperware with apricots, dates and any other soft fruit (such as dried cranberries). Add the walnuts, almonds, any other nuts and seeds. This mixture will keep for up to two months in an airtight container.

The night before you want to eat it, put two portions of the oat mixture into a bowl and cover with the milk, grate in half an apple per person and stir immediately to keep apple from discolouring. Add nutmeg and cinnamon if you want. Place in the fridge overnight.

When you’re ready to eat add honey to taste. Serve with a dollop of yogurt and some fresh mixed berries if you want.

I'm sure this recipe is why I have never had a one night stand. They always stayed for the breakfast ;)
  • iSteakers
    iSteakers Posts: 45
    Options
    I'm a total cereal junkie. i'd eat it every meal if I could. I rotate between Corn Flakes, Special K and Cheerios. I really miss Wheaties too, but the price got too high for the amount you get.
  • mkcalvert
    mkcalvert Posts: 219 Member
    Options
    I eat multi grain cherrio's almost everyday!

MMMM I love those too and they are SO much better than regular!!!
  • Fitmomtobe81
    Fitmomtobe81 Posts: 19 Member
    Options
    KIX!!!!!! 1 1/4 cups for 110 calories. I add a lil sweet n low. Delicious!!!
  • sbwood888
    sbwood888 Posts: 953 Member
    Options
    I actually like the original Fiber One, shredded wheat (not frosted), and cheerios. Problem is, I like them too much. I can never be satisfied with the normal serving size. Cereal is a trigger food for me. I usually just leave it alone. :cry:
  • jldaley09
    jldaley09 Posts: 219 Member
    Options
    I too love Multigrain cheerios! They have a great flavor and I add fruit to it sometimes. plus the serving size is a cup instead of the 3/4 c a lot of cereals are. Its keeps me pretty satisfied.
  • locomotion
    locomotion Posts: 67
    Options
    bump for later..
  • gatorgirl7
    gatorgirl7 Posts: 103 Member
    Options
    i like the organic puffins-peanut butter (not as good as cap'n crunch but not too bad either). I also like the kids version of cascadian farms cereals--they have afruitful o's, honey o's, and a cinnamon toast crunch that is killer. i also like honey nut mini biscuits (cna't remember what they car ecalled) and there is an organic brand that does cinnamon biscuits that is really good. i try to get a cereal that is high in fiber-ish that is still yummy tasting. i'm super busy so sometimes i eat cereal a lot. there are weeks that i've lived off nothing but cereal, fruit, and granola bars!
  • singingmom
    singingmom Posts: 29 Member
    Options
    I go with rice krispies the serving size is 1 and 1/4 cup and add a sliced banana or strawberries.
  • bayabaya
    bayabaya Posts: 52
    Options
    i second the special k protein plus! sooooo good:) and very filling!
    100 cals a serving with half a cup of unsweetened vanilla alnmond milk which is 20 calories.