Help! blisters from running

Options
When i jog/run i get serious blisters on my feet. THey always start right under my big toe and then go down farther when they get worse. I overpronate when I run which means I roll my foot inward when I run, but I also have high arches. Which is usually not the case. I'm wondering if anyone else has this problem, and what running shoes they have found that works well for them.

Replies

• nikki_zav
    nikki_zav Posts: 320 Member
    Options
    Go to a running store and get fitted by the pros. You are definitely in the wrong shoes.
  • ChRiStA_1983
    ChRiStA_1983 Posts: 380 Member
    Options
    You probably want to invest in some different shoes, but also try BodyGlide! It's like a waxy deodorant stick that you put on areas that tend to rub (either against each other, or against clothing), and it prevents blisters and chafing! It's pretty effective, I've found!
  • PixieGoddess
    PixieGoddess Posts: 1,833 Member
    Options
    I agree with the previous posters about getting properly fitted for shoes. Also, if you're running in cotton socks, you might want to seriously consider investing in some moisture-wicking socks. They're everywhere nowadays, even WalMart and Target, so they shouldn't be hard to find or overly expensive.

And take the socks you run in with you when you get fitted for shoes.
  • kaitimae
    kaitimae Posts: 727 Member
    Options
    I agree with both these posts! However, I used BodyGlide on my feet on Sunday for a half marathon and still ended up with a massive blister, in the exact spot you are having problems!

I think having the right shoes really is key. I used to ONLY wear Asics, but my last few pairs have left me with blisters... might be time for me to go get re-fitted as well.
  • usmcmp
    usmcmp Posts: 21,220 Member
    Options
    I had a problem with blisters until I went to Road Runner Sports in San Diego. They took videos of my running and had me walk on a mat then gave me the right shoes to keep me stable and running right. Haven't had a problem since. I know that many specialized running stores offer those services for free.
  • pilotgirl2007
    pilotgirl2007 Posts: 368 Member
    Options
    Get fitted for shoes but also look into these socks called wright socks (I think thats what they were called) they have two layers so that instead of your skin rubbing against the sock the theory is that the two layers will rub instead. They should sell them at stores where they do shoe fittings
  • ilsie99
    ilsie99 Posts: 259
    Options
    If it's on the bottom of your foot then it's more likely your insoles or your socks, not necessarily the shoe. There are countless different types of wick away socks, try a couple different kinds. You can also try some aftermarket insoles and see if those help.

If your feet sweat a lot, try putting anti-persperant on them before running. Sounds weird, but it works.

The bodyglide helps too, as a previous poster said.
  • KaizokuNoMaiku
    Options
    I agree go to a decent running shoe store and make sure you get a good fitting shoe, now ofc these will be expensive but in the end its worth it. I also started out with a ''cheap'' Nike shoe from a discount action and had lots of blisters then I switched to the new Asic's Gel Nimbus 12 and they are awesome ! Never had a blister since and they also have a decent amount of grip and the gel rly absorbs the shocks well getting some tension of your knee's with the AHAR+ heels ( a thin layer of high abrasion rubber located in the heel area ).
    And because the shoe can ''breath'' rly good aswell you almost never get wet feet from sweat.
  • lisabel87
    lisabel87 Posts: 152
    Options
    Thanks guys!
    The blister is on the side of my foot, not the bottom. First time getting a disgusting blood blister, usually they are just the normal kind. But it makes running impossible...i'm wimpy!
  • jmgj27
    jmgj27 Posts: 531 Member
    Options
    I swear by Asics nimbus. They're incredibly comfortable and cushioning and I've never had blisters with them- not even when I'm breaking in a new pair. As for treating the blisters I'd highly recommend Compeed plasters- I've worn them when I've butchered my feet in high heels and then gone running. You just wear them til they fall off. Sounds gross but it really works! Keep on trucking!