Starting weight loss at 1200 cals...so what happens next?

lauz45
lauz45 Posts: 243
edited September 27 in Health and Weight Loss
I was just thinking, after reading threads on starvation mode etc, that say my initial goal is to lose 22 pounds, and i'm starting on 1200 cals a day, what happens when I lose 10-15lbs and hit a plateau? I can't drop my calories any lower than that, so what would I do? Calorie cycling or something similar? I'm more focused now on losing fat than pounds, but still wondering...

Replies

• Atlantique
    Atlantique Posts: 2,484 Member
    If you are only trying to lose 20 pounds, you should have set your goal as losing 1lb per week. Is that how you set it up?
  • DizzieLittleLifter
    DizzieLittleLifter Posts: 1,020 Member
    I didn't hit a plateau so I don't have any tried advice, but many people zig zag calories. Maybe someone will have some tried advice! Good luck!:flowerforyou:
  • MissRose888
    MissRose888 Posts: 98 Member
    Yeah, I hope there are some good answers on here, too. I started my weight loss journey at 234lbs with the goal to lose 2lbs per week. MPF set me at 1200 calories but I am wondering the same thing. Hopefully I won't hit a plateau right away since I have 100+lbs to lose....

Help!
  • Change up your diet. If you are focusing on just staying under 1200 that is fine. You could switch your intake routine to having lean proteins, vegetables and 1/2 cup of beans at each meal. The beans are filling and count for about 100 calories for each 1/2 cup. Cut out the complex carbs (whole grains) for a time to "trick" your body. Keep your body guessing and it will continue to burn the calories. Good luck!! :smile:
  • jonathandavid_t
    jonathandavid_t Posts: 107 Member
    No real reason why you should hit a plateau. Keep eating healthily and exercising (and EAT the calories you exercise; at your weight I don't think you can afford not to) and although the weight loss will probably slow, there's no particular reason why it should stop.
  • Erin_26
    Erin_26 Posts: 97 Member
    You exercise more!
  • nyctraveler
    nyctraveler Posts: 305 Member
    your supposed to decrease deficit as you lose more weight

Meaning...you will have to UP your calories
  • heatherlh83
    heatherlh83 Posts: 76 Member
    Once you get to the last 10-15 pounds you'll want to change your goal to 0.5 lb per week, which will actually increase your calories a little.
  • I am still at my starting calories of 1280 and I'm still losing. However,I burn about 800 calories a day and eat back most of them SO I think as I get closer to my goal (I'm within 10 lbs I think) I will just burn less but stay at the 1280 and net/net out.
  • lauz45
    Thanks for the answers so far :)

Atlantique - I think I set it up for 2lbs a week, 1lb does sound more realistic though, i'll adjust it and see what it says.

It's ridiculous how long i've struggled to lose not-that-much weight...it comes off so slowly I usually give up, but i'm in it for the long haul this time. And I always eat back my exercise calories :) I really want to TONE up so maybe I should probably focus on getting good nutrition in and exercising than worrying about the numbers so much? I fall into the trap some days of thinking "oh i've got 100 calories left I can eat <insert naughty treat>" :noway:

Hopefully it'll just come off gradually until i've lowered my body fat and feel a lot fitter and healthier.
  • lauz45
    Ah thanks everyone!

It's given me 1325 now, which sounds better :) 1lb a week all adds up!
  • I actaully hit plateaus all the time, my dr said that you will come across them usually when its a weight you have stayed at for a amount of time before. He suggested just keep doing the same thing, make sure your diet is just lean meats, fruits, and veggetables for the days fallowing and even take a tablespoon of apple cider vinegar a day and you should blast right through it all of a sudden within a few days.
This discussion has been closed.