Lean Ground Beef

Options
Ok so I was googling the calories in 93% Lean Ground Beef and I came across a website that said if you drained and rinsed your ground beef, the 80% lean kind that you can cut the calories down 150 per serving. The 93% is 170 per serving. I have always done that anyhow to get all the extra grease out. Has anyone ever heard if this is true?

Connie

Replies

• connieq288
    connieq288 Posts: 1,102 Member
    Options
    Ok so I was googling the calories in 93% Lean Ground Beef and I came across a website that said if you drained and rinsed your ground beef, the 80% lean kind that you can cut the calories down 150 per serving. The 93% is 170 per serving. I have always done that anyhow to get all the extra grease out. Has anyone ever heard if this is true?

Connie
  • lotusfromthemud
    lotusfromthemud Posts: 5,335 Member
    Options
    I've heard that as well.

I hear so many crazy things that I can't vouch for if it's "true". .. but I skim a whole lot of fat off of the top, so if it's cheaper to buy the higher fat, I would do it.
  • PedalHound
    PedalHound Posts: 1,625 Member
    Options
    with all ground meats, if you rinse with boiling water you get rid of almost all the fat. Better if you start with leaner though so there's less to rely on water to remove.
  • connieq288
    connieq288 Posts: 1,102 Member
    Options
    That is good to know because I love tacos. I could eat them all the time. I made some for lunch and I even had it without sourcream. That is good for me.