cake mixes--REALLY?????

Options
Paulette56
Paulette56 Posts: 66 Member
How can anyone possibly think that a cake mix can be made "healthy" or "guilt-free"? They are full of sugar, trans fats, and preservatives.

Replies

• Heather75
    Heather75 Posts: 3,386 Member
    Options
    Who thinks that?
  • CassieLEO
    CassieLEO Posts: 757 Member
    Options
    Well if you account for that in your daily calories and exercise to get extra calories you can enjoy that stuff without feeling guilty about it....
  • kaitimae
    kaitimae Posts: 727 Member
    Options
    Well if you account for that in your daily calories and exercise to get extra calories you can enjoy that stuff without feeling guilty about it....

Exactly! In my opinion, "healthy" and "guilt-free" don't have a whole lot to do with each other...
  • poustotah
    poustotah Posts: 1,121 Member
    Options
    I make 'guilt-free' cakes but no part of them comes from a box!!! I also have some pseudo healthy donuts that don't come from Dunkin Donuts and aren't fried! YAY whole grains!!!
  • CakeFit21
    CakeFit21 Posts: 2,521 Member
    Options
    But when you mix it with diet soda and all those chemicals isn't that healthy? :huh:

Good grief! Eat small amounts of the real stuff when you earn it with sweat!
  • CassieLEO
    Options
    And not all of them have trans fats in them. They arent great for you, but if you want a peice, more power to ya!
  • alsnyder24
    alsnyder24 Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    1 box of Angel Food Cake Mix
    1 small box of Sugar Free Jell-O (any flavor)
    1 tub fat free or sugar free Cool Whip

Mix cake according to directions on box and bake cake in a regular cake pan,
    Cook Jell-O according to directions
    When cake is done, poke holes all over the cake and pour jello mix over the cake.
    Let set in fridge for a few hours, then top with cool whip
  • PeachyNess
    PeachyNess Posts: 6
    Options
    Why don't you just bake a cake from scratch? At lease then you know what's going into it, and chances are you don't have "modified corn syrup, modified corn starch and mono and di - esters" in your pantry.
    And get creative and try a vinegar cake (war-time cake) - it will be the most rich cake you've ever tried with most of the "guilty" omitted (eggs, butter, milk).
    Cake mixes are like store bought cookies, one more strike against humanity.
  • CassieLEO
    Options
    Because they are so delicious and im a horrible cook, thats why! LOL!
  • PeachyNess
    PeachyNess Posts: 6
    Options
    Nobody is a horrible cook, everyone can learn - you just have to care. I know, not everyone is a chef, but everyone should care about what they eat.
    I know these could go in the recipe section, but seriously, down with cake mixes. Your great grandmother never used them, why should you?

Easiest Regular Cake Ever

2 cups All purpose flour

3/4 cup sugar

1 tsp vanilla essence

1/2 c butter

2 eggs

2/3 cup milk

Blend all ingredients (you can soften the butter in the microwave or in a pot to make this easier - 38 seconds in MW)
    Pour into a greased pan and bake at 350 for 30-50 minutes (or until a toothpick/piece of uncooked spaghetti inserted in the middle comes out clean). If you want to make it chocolate add 1/4 c cocoa powder and reduce flour by 1/4 c.

Easiest Vegan Chocolate Cake

1-1/2 cup flour
    1/3 cup cocoa powder
    1 tsp. baking soda
    1/2 tsp. salt
    1 cup sugar
    1/2 cup vegetable oil
    1 cup cold water
    2 tsp. vanilla extract
    2 tsp. vinegar

Preheat oven to 375°F. Mix wet in one bowl (without the vinegar) mix dry in another, mix together and add vinegar - mix until just blended and bake for 25-30 mins (or until done, the same method as above).
  • knittnponder
    knittnponder Posts: 1,954 Member
    Options
    When I'm doing a wedding cake for more than 250 people I can do it from scratch but a doctored cake mix is SO much easier! I've done lots of scratch cakes but they have a slightly drier and more crumbly texture than what most Americans (I did say "most" not "all") expect from a cake. Among the people I've done cakes for the doctored cake usually wins out over the scratch cakes. I either don't eat it or I have a very small piece that's accounted for in my day. Mike's Hard Lemonade isn't good for me either but I like one of those every now and then too! :)