Do you have a Dehydrator & Vitamix or good blender???

Options
Hotbottom
Hotbottom Posts: 168 Member
Anyone out there have a good dehydrator and vitamix or good blender and want to swop clean recipes that work!!! I'm fed up with seeing recipes for low cal food here that often has a base of weird packet mix starters with ingredients you can't even pronounce.
Please add me as a friend if you do and lets get thin and clean together ;)

Replies

• jennyb31
    jennyb31 Posts: 166 Member
    Options
    I actually just got the oster little one serving blender that has a cap you can put on it and take it with you after you blend. It is low priced and I use it multiple times a day and it works great!! Simple, easy, easy to clean!
    I usually have a smoothie in the morning, the most common one I use is 1/2 banana, six strawberries, 1/4 cup oats, tbs flax seed, 1/4-1/2 cup greek yogurt(plain non-fat), and 1/4-1/2 cup skim milk. This is great tasting! Oh and I will use a little stevia at times if needed.
  • heatherann76
    Options
    I have a dehydrator and love to dry fruit or fruit leather. I also use my magic bullet each day for a smoothie and sometimes a veggie dip.
  • northernlights907
    Options
    Just gotta vitamix a few weeks ago. Love it! Ive been juicing veggies everyday and making lots of soups with it!
  • knittnponder
    knittnponder Posts: 1,954 Member
    Options
    I have a Gardenmaster dehydrator that I use a lot during the summer when produce is abundant. My family loves it when I slice apples and sprinkle a touch of cinnamon and a teeny bit of sugar on them. Once they're dehydrated they make a great snack. Soaking nuts in saltwater and then dehydrating them is really good too. If you like other flavors you can toss the wet nuts with spices or seasonings and then dehydrate them.

Use your Vitamix to puree fruit and then make fruit leather with it. You can make all kinds of flavors and it's just what you put in it. If I have vegetables that are in danger of not getting used up I'll dehydrate those and then bag them. I can throw them in soups and you can't tell much difference.

For the Vitamix, I'm a HUGE green smoothie fan and make them all the time. Greensmoothiegirl is a great blog and there are oodles of others if you do a quick search. Soups are okay but for me I do prefer things like onion to have a "cooked" flavor. If I add those I just saute them up a bit first. You can also puree vegetables and hide them in other soups or baked goods. I sneak stuff past my family all the time doing that!

You can also blend up fruit (with or without yogurt) and pour into popsicle molds. This way you're getting the entire fruit (and protein if you use yogurt or cottage cheese) in your frozen treats.

I also mill all of my own flour so I have whole grain berries on hand. When I make pancakes or waffles I throw the whole wheat berry into the VM with the water for the recipe and blend that until it's super smooth (several minutes-use cold water!) Then I add the rest of the stuff and pour right out of the blender. You can also add flax seed, chia, other grains or whatever to your pancakes this way. My kids tease me that I add nuts, seeds, rocks, twigs and small woodland creatures to the things I make. :D

Oh, and this isn't healthy per se but the BEST hot cocoa you will ever have is if you put milk and chocolate chips in your VM and blend until hot. It takes awhile but it's SSOOOOOOOO good! Add a little splash of coffee or some other flavor you like to change it up. :)

Oh! And nut butters! We do almond butter all the time! I tried cashew but we like almond butter better so I only did that once. My daughter has been adding dark chocolate to it lately and it's darn good. A little naughty but good!

Oh! And Hummus! Hummus is super quick, easy and tasty in the VM! If you got a book with yours the recipe they have in there is a good base. If you don't want to use canned beans just cook up the same amount and save the water to equal what you'd have in a can. Their recipe calls for garbanzo beans (chick peas) but you can use whatever beans you like to change up the flavor and texture. No need to buy tahini either! Just dump those sesame seeds right in there with the rest and you're good to go!

I love my kitchen toys! :)
  • bbush18
    bbush18 Posts: 207 Member
    Options
    bump--i'm addicted to dehydrating and just recently got into blending/smoothies! oh yeah, and vitamix rocks!!