Marilyn Monroe and Kate Moss

Options
amysj303
amysj303 Posts: 5,086 Member
I was reading the March 2011 Allure Magazine and it says that Marilyn Monroe's measurements were 35-22-35, she was 5'5.5" 118 pounds; pin-up Bettie Page was 128 pounds, also 5'5.5" and Kate Moss is 5'7" with 33-inch hips.
I am not sure how accurate that information was, but I wanted to share!

Replies

• chuisle
    chuisle Posts: 1,052 Member
    Options
    Oh great, if I lose about 5.5 inches from waist and no where else I'll look like Marilyn Monroe. HA.

Thanks for the post, interesting!
  • mathjulz
    mathjulz Posts: 5,514 Member
    Options
    I think if we were to compare pinups and hotties of 40 years ago and more to today, we'd notice that our society has shifted to skinnier, Twiggy-looking ideals. So sad, because most of us will never look like that, and really, for the most part it's less healthy.

Few people would argue that Marilyn Monroe wasn't beautiful or sexy, but by today's standards she would be short and round! Women unite to love our natural curves again!!!
  • tross0924
    tross0924 Posts: 909 Member
    Options
    I think if we were to compare pinups and hotties of 40 years ago and more to today, we'd notice that our society has shifted to skinnier, Twiggy-looking ideals. So sad, because most of us will never look like that, and really, for the most part it's less healthy.

Few people would argue that Marilyn Monroe wasn't beautiful or sexy, but by today's standards she would be short and round! Women unite to love our natural curves again!!!

5' 5 1/2" 118 lbs 35-22-35? If those measurements are right there's no way in hell she was ever described as short and round.

Yes there's the famous shot of her in the white suit where she looks a little bit hippy -
    61786211-Marilyn-Monroe-oversized-postcard-.jpg

but . . . short and round?? no way!
    412113.jpg

And here's a model of today that's 10lbs heavier, 1.5 inches taller, 1 inch smaller in bust and hips, but 4 inches bigger in the waist.

Katarina-Van-Derham-Maxmen-10.jpg

short? round? twiggy? I would have to argue the point. Curvy? No argument there. But to use a woman with a crazy 22" waist as an example of a healthy, short, round woman is totally nuts!!
  • MyNameIsNotBob
    MyNameIsNotBob Posts: 565 Member
    Options

Short & round with a 22" waist? Ha. The average American woman's waist is something like 35".

I was reading somewhere that only like 8% of women are hourglass shaped. Most are banana shaped (bust / waist / hips all about the same). I think it's offensive to imply that non-curvy women are somehow inferior to those with curves. It's all fine and good to love your own curves, or to admire curvy bodies, but I really hate that "real women have curves" attitude. (Not saying that's how you meant it... but it does grate on my feminist nerves.)
  • amysj303
    amysj303 Posts: 5,086 Member
    Options

I don't think 5'5" and 118 would considered round by anyone's standards today or 60 years ago. She would fall within the healthy weight but tending toward underweight.
    The article was actually demonstrating ideal female body types through time and how it changed from the 50s hourglass (marilyn monroe), 60s boyish (Twiggy), 70s athletic/sporty (Farrah Fawcett), 80s amazonian (Cindy Crawford), 90s waifish (Kate moss), 00 sexy (Giselle), 2010 surgified (Heidi Montag and the stripper aesthetic).