20 calorie per serving noodles! Really!

Options
BeckyKSmith
BeckyKSmith Posts: 212 Member
I have seen a few posts on Tofu Shirataki Noodles and have seen them in the Hungry Girl Cookbook, but I have fallen in love with them! I've heard people say, "fishy, nasty, gross, etc", but NOT TRUE! Yes, when you open the bag, they smell like seafood, but with a few minutes of TLC, they are wonderful! I rinsed them well, then put them in a bowl of fresh water and microwaved for 7 minutes, then rinsed again. Tonight I had them with spaghetti/meat sauce made with 90% lean ground beef. I then sprinkled on some grated parmesan. My grand total for dinner was about 350 calories and it was a GIANT PILE of food. Most of the calories came from the ground beef and spaghetti sauce!
While I gave my kids regular noodles, they still snatched some out of my bowl and wanted more. The texture is similar to angel hair pasta.
Yum Yum Yum! Can't wait to try the shrimp scampi recipe made with real butter - because, hey, at 20 calories a serving, you can afford some butter!

Replies

• fatboypup
    fatboypup Posts: 1,873 Member
    Options
    ive really missed pasta i might have to try these out with my fat free I cant believe its not butter heh
  • boobee32
    boobee32 Posts: 450 Member
    Options
    i hear ya...i had wanted to try them..but never did and my local store doesnt carry them anymore. i will have to look for them this weekend at kroger.
  • plath63
    plath63 Posts: 1
    Options
    Hi Becky - I agree! These noodles are awesome and rinsing them is the key. I have been using them the same you did - with sauce - and it is always a great meal. This week I am going to try them with soup to add a bit of texture. BUY these noodles and you will not be disappointed.
  • Kathy11174
    Kathy11174 Posts: 82
    Options
    Where did you find them? I can not eat regular pasta due to having had gastric bypass and it makes me sick every time but these might be worth a shot!! I am always looking for the substitute for pasta!!
  • DJmom44
    DJmom44 Posts: 91
    Options
    I boil mine in broth to give them extra flavor. Great spaghetti substitute!
  • ShinyFraga
    ShinyFraga Posts: 132 Member
    Options
    the white shirataki noodles have zero calories... even better!
  • muriah2
    muriah2 Posts: 143 Member
    Options
    Interesting...I'll try it!!
  • catcrazy
    catcrazy Posts: 1,740 Member
    Options
    I really like them too, an unusual but not unpleasant texture, mine have no smell but mine had to be kept refrigerated so not sure if thats what made the difference (I have a keen sense of smell and was expecting it but there was nothing...I even stuffed my nose in the bag!) And yes you're right, when they are so few calories you can have something a little more indulgent with them
  • cmo1987
    cmo1987 Posts: 40 Member
    Options
    Where do you get these???
  • Jorra
    Jorra Posts: 3,338 Member
    Options
    Based on Google searches, they don't look too expensive either! I can't wait to try these! I hope I can find them somewhere local.
  • BeckyKSmith
    Options
    The ZERO calorie "miracle noodle" can be purchased on amazon. I have not tried those. I found the Tofu Shirataki in the refrigerated asian section by the Tofu. They can be found in larger grocery stores. I am sure Kroger would have them in the southern states. I live in Wisconsin and found them at Woodman's and Festival foods. I paid $1.79 a pkg and that is 2 servings. Being the pig I am, I ate the whole bag, but it was only 40 calories and was heaping over a cereal size bowl.

Has anyone tried the zero calorie miracle noodles? They are only online I think and about $4/bag. For $2.29 savings, I'll just eat the extra 40 calories I think.
  • Jorra
    Jorra Posts: 3,338 Member
    Options
    The ZERO calorie "miracle noodle" can be purchased on amazon. I have not tried those. I found the Tofu Shirataki in the refrigerated asian section by the Tofu. They can be found in larger grocery stores. I am sure Kroger would have them in the southern states. I live in Wisconsin and found them at Woodman's and Festival foods. I paid $1.79 a pkg and that is 2 servings. Being the pig I am, I ate the whole bag, but it was only 40 calories and was heaping over a cereal size bowl.

Has anyone tried the zero calorie miracle noodles? They are only online I think and about $4/bag. For $2.29 savings, I'll just eat the extra 40 calories I think.

Festival is good to know, I hope they have it at Cub or Byerly's, those are closer to home.
  • ambercarley
    ambercarley Posts: 11
    Options
    So they're probably not at Wal-Mart then? I haven't seen them in Kroger :noway:
  • BeckyKSmith
    Options
    ooooh, I never tried walmart. It would be by the tofu if they have it.
  • Losing2Live69
    Losing2Live69 Posts: 743 Member
    Options
    I've never tried those noodles. I eat spaghetti squash instead of pasta. It has 44 calories and 10 carbs in an 8 ounce serving vs. an 8 oz. serving (a serving of pasta is only 2 oz.) of pasta being over 800 calories and 168 carbs. I will have to try these. I have tried tofu and didn't like it at all. When I stored the tofu in a bowl covered with aluminum foil it ate holes in the foil!! I will give it a shot though...maybe just once! LOL!
  • BeckyKSmith
    Options
    I've never tried those noodles. I eat spaghetti squash instead of pasta. It has 44 calories and 10 carbs in an 8 ounce serving vs. an 8 oz. serving (a serving of pasta is only 2 oz.) of pasta being over 800 calories and 168 carbs. I will have to try these. I have tried tofu and didn't like it at all. When I stored the tofu in a bowl covered with aluminum foil it ate holes in the foil!! I will give it a shot though...maybe just once! LOL!

ugh! I hate tofu as well. I assure you the noodles don't taste like Tofu. How much does a spaghetti squash cost?
  • JenBrown0210
    JenBrown0210 Posts: 985 Member
    Options
    I really want to try these! What is funny when I clicked on this thread it changed my ad to one for miracle noodles! Haha MFP is getting smart with their ads!
  • SLaw4215
    SLaw4215 Posts: 596 Member
    Options
    I swap them out for Ramen and feed them to my kids! I personally prefer the angel hair pasta size noodles. And Spaghetti Squash is a great substitute for pasta too :)
  • chrisc31
    chrisc31 Posts: 137 Member
    Options
    I just bought some this weekend but haven't tried them out yet. I got them from Whole Foods at $1.99 a bag (2 servings). My local Kroger didn't have them but some do carry them.
  • BlazedBetty
    BlazedBetty Posts: 31
    Options

Where would you find spaghetti squash? Does it come already in spaghetti form or do I have to slice up squash? lol Forgive my ignorance I've never heard of it before and it sounds like it might be a solution to my pasta adoration!

I found those tofu noodles at Whole Foods... and while I had no problems with smell, it was the texture that got me.. I tried 2 different brands and they were both too weird. Very chewy... I tried just putting them in warm water like the directions said and then I tried actually cooking them on the stove... both ways didn't work for me