good fats/bad fats

Options
So I have been hearing and reading your body needs the good fats in food.....My question is what do I look for on the labels of the food I select to know what fats are ok?
Total fat
Trans fat
Saturated fat
What is good and what is bad....
I have been paying attention to my carbs and sugar intake on labels....
Please tell me the important things to look for on food labels......

Thanks...

Replies

• cupotee
    cupotee Posts: 181 Member
    Options
    Here's the range from worst---> best:

Trans fat ---> Saturated fat ---> Polyunsaturated fat ---> Monounsaturated Fat

The first two are bad, second two are good. Total fat's just the four added together.
  • dls06
    dls06 Posts: 6,774 Member
    Options
    http://www.mayoclinic.com/health/fat/NU00262

This will tell you all about it. It is a great site for all health related questions. Just cut and paste it.
  • eating4balance
    eating4balance Posts: 743 Member
    Options
    Total fat: Should be 30% of calories from fat or less (unless something made of canola oil, peanut butter, almonds, etc.)

Trans Fat: 0 grams. No exception. Some labels can claim that there is 0 grams of trans fat per serving, but there is realy.5 grams (which can add up). Check the ingredient list for partially hydrogenated fat. That means there is tran fat in a product.

Saturated fat: less than 10 grams of saturated fat per day or less is recommended.

Saturated and trans fats are bad. Unsaturated and monounsaturated/polyunsaturated fats are good.
  • bbush18
    bbush18 Posts: 207 Member
    Options
    bump--i need to expand my knowledge on this...
  • lisabel87
    lisabel87 Posts: 152
    Options
    monosaturated fats and polyunsaturated fats (i.e those found in avacado) are healthy
    EFA's (essential fatty acids) omega 3, 6 and 9 are also healthy!