What counts as processed food?

Options
Okay so I know this is a stupid question... But what actually counts as processed food? Obviously I know the big ones like fast food, store bought cookies and cake and all that, but what about things like rice cakes? I eat sunrice rice cakes that are just 100% puffed brown rice... But it's not 'natural' as in you can't find a rice cake growing on a tree. But if it's just brown rice, surely it's okay to eat? Sorry if this is a stupid question. I've seen people say that if it comes in a packet or has a barcode it probably should be avoided. What about things like cheese, pasta, pesto, bread... Etc. If they are made out if natural ingredients (with no chemicals or HFCs), are they still to be avoided if you want to eat clean?

Replies

• ramonaquimby
    ramonaquimby Posts: 55 Member
    Options
    The problem with rice cakes is usually the sodium and some have too much added sugar or hfcs. I did an unprocessed challenge for the month of October and succeeded, but we were allowed things that were minimally processed. Like whole wheat pasta, in which it contains two or three ingredients. If the ingredient list is long definitely avoid it or if it has a lot of unpronounceable words, steer clear! Ideally we should eat whole foods made at home all the time, but for many that is not practical. It is not practical to consistently make your own bread or pasta, but you can certainly find healthier alternatives to the white bread/white carb.
  • MysticMaiden22
    MysticMaiden22 Posts: 325 Member
    Options
    5 signs something you're eating is a processed food:

1. It doesn't look like it did when it was grown or killed.

2. You didn't cook it yourself.

3. It most likely came in a package.

4. The ingredients include chemicals that only scientists can pronounce.

5. It has the words "enriched," "bleached," or "fortified" in the ingredients.
  • Thexplodingirl
    Options
    Not that it's going to change my habits but, would you count steam in bag (unfrozen) vegetables as "processed"? I'm sure because it went through some sort of process but it does look like it did when it was grown.

Ok well then what about frozen?
  • mciaglia
    mciaglia Posts: 1
    Options
    I have to say if it takes a machine to make it it is processed. your rice cakes have so many additional items added during the process that completely negates the "natural" brown rice. But I agree, they say protien powder is good for you but that stuff is processed more than a Caddillac. I think you know inside what not processed is. Breads/pastas are the absolute worst because even if they use the word natural your body doesn't agree and fight to digest that stuff. Do i enjoy the heck out of a bologna sandwhich once a week heck yeah but i know that once a week is it. Eating truely clean means nothing man made in any way. Meats that are whole and unseasoned, raw vegetables and fruits and nuts. I cannot stress enough raw and unseasoned because the tuna in a bag that is pre seasoned and the prebagged steamer veggies are truely not "clean eating". Those items are completely covered with corn starch and sugar. Ok my soapbox just broke so I hope i made a bit of sense for ya.
  • Pebble321
    Pebble321 Posts: 6,554 Member
    Options
    I think you just have to find the level of processing that you are comfortable with.
    I try to use stuff that doesn't have lots of extra things added (for example I look for yoghurt made from milk and starter cultures without gelatine, sugar, thickeners, flavours etc). If I'm buying something "processed" I'll pick one with the smallest ingredient list and try to avoid ingredients that I don't recognise or can't pronounce.
  • Missjulesdid
    Missjulesdid Posts: 1,444 Member
    Options
    To me processed food is something that has to go through a process beyond simple cooking or grinding. 100% whole wheat flour is not processed because it's just ground up wheat berries.. but WHITE flour is processed because it has the bran and germ stripped from it.

Cane sugar is a processed food because you can't just make sugar without going through a multi step process to strip away part of its original content. HFCS is HIGHLY processed.

Hydrogenated oils are PROCESSED
    cold pressed oil are not processed.. they're just squeezed
    non-cold pressed oils do go through a process to expel the oil but the oil itself is not processed beyond what is necessary to expel it from the seed/fruit that it comes from.

Yogurt from the grocery is often processed and has ingredients you'd NEVER put in your yogurt at home

Milk is kinda processed it is homogenized and pasturized so that is a process but it's not terribly invasive to the product. You can pasturize milk yourself at home and it's a simple process.

Cheese is not processed, it's aged in a natural way. You can make cheese at home easily.
    Cheeze-food IS processed. You can't make velveta at home.

ULTRA-pasturized milk that you can buy in a box is more processed in order to make it shelf stable.

These are all just how I personally look at it. I think we all kind of have our own definitions. This is just how I look at it.. but if you look at it differently then that's ok too!
  • Missjulesdid
    Missjulesdid Posts: 1,444 Member
    Options
    Stupid double post
  • a_stronger_steph
    a_stronger_steph Posts: 434 Member
    Options
    I have to say if it takes a machine to make it it is processed. your rice cakes have so many additional items added during the process that completely negates the "natural" brown rice.

Here's how they make rice cakes:
    http://www.madehow.com/Volume-4/Rice-Cake.html

So if they don't spray it at the end with a flavour (as the OP has said the only ingredient her rice cakes have is rice, no seasoning)... what, exactly, are the "so many additional items added"?

I mean, I get that a machine (ZOMG!!!!) was used in making them, but the second statement seems off.
  • dia77
    dia77 Posts: 410 Member
    Options
    Not that it's going to change my habits but, would you count steam in bag (unfrozen) vegetables as "processed"? I'm sure because it went through some sort of process but it does look like it did when it was grown.

frozen is ok as lond as nothing is added. It is preserved , not processed. If comes in can is processed- they add sugar , sodium , other stuff.
  • Thexplodingirl
    Options

frozen is ok as lond as nothing is added. It is preserved , not processed. If comes in can is processed- they add sugar , sodium , other stuff.

Eww no thank you to canned veggies!

Are you telling me there's corn starch in my steam in bag, unfrozen broccoli?
  • Grokette
    Grokette Posts: 3,330 Member
    Options
    Okay so I know this is a stupid question... But what actually counts as processed food? Obviously I know the big ones like fast food, store bought cookies and cake and all that, but what about things like rice cakes? I eat sunrice rice cakes that are just 100% puffed brown rice... But it's not 'natural' as in you can't find a rice cake growing on a tree. But if it's just brown rice, surely it's okay to eat? Sorry if this is a stupid question. I've seen people say that if it comes in a packet or has a barcode it probably should be avoided. What about things like cheese, pasta, pesto, bread... Etc. If they are made out if natural ingredients (with no chemicals or HFCs), are they still to be avoided if you want to eat clean?

Anything found in a package on the inner aisles of the grocery store, found in the freezer, etc............

Bread is still processed, so is pasta, pasta sauces, etc................Cheese is pretty natural if it is a hard cheese, but no velveeta or packaged american cheese food stuffs............

Anything in a package, like cheese, butter, yogurt should be limited to the ingredient list. Like butter should be heavy cream and salt. Cheese should be similar as well.

Good rule of thumb, if it has 5 ingredients or less and has common items such as milk, cream, salt - ingredients that are prounancable and would normally be found in your own kitchen.

One of my reasons to sticking to fresh meats, eggs, small amounts of cheese, greek yogurt, raw nuts, seeds, vegetables and fruits.
  • Grokette
    Grokette Posts: 3,330 Member
    Options

Eww no thank you to canned veggies!

Are you telling me there's corn starch in my steam in bag, unfrozen broccoli?

There could be corn starch if you buy the flavored ones - you know the ones that come with the sauces and cheese sauce, etc........

Just buy frozen veggies and make your own cheese sauces or add your own butter.