MFP does not adjust sodium?

Options
cupotee
cupotee Posts: 181 Member
Even though I'm eating 1300 net cals a day, it's still giving me a recommended sodium intake of 2500 mg, the recommended MAX for someone on a 2000 cal diet. Should I be adjusting my sodium? MFP does adjust for fat, protein, carbs, fiber, and iron, but not for sodium (or potassium for that matter)?

Replies

• KaleighL
    KaleighL Posts: 159
    Options
    I did some research and it is actually unhealthy to go over 2300mg a day. In order to flush out the sodium we need to drink water....so we would have to adjust it ourselves
  • staciekins
    staciekins Posts: 453 Member
    Options
    The 2500 is a universal max. You should shoot for less than 2300
  • ashley0616
    ashley0616 Posts: 579 Member
    Options
    MFP adjusts the nutrients that have calories per unit, like fat, carbs, and protein. Things that have a set recommendation or limit, such as protein, fiber, potassium, etc, are not adjusted. I believe you can go into your own preferences and change it to whatever you want, just click on "custom" rather than "MFP recommended" when you are at the first page. You can do this by going into goals and clicking "adjust goals" I'm pretty sure. HTH.
  • KayleighDawn13
    Options
    You should strive to NEVER have more than 2300 mg. It is extremely unhealthy if you countinuously go over. If you happen to exceed the amount, drink a lot of water.
  • Pebble321
    Pebble321 Posts: 6,554 Member
    Options
    2500 does seem high, the standard recommended max per day in Australia is 1500 so I try to stick to this.
  • futiledevices
    futiledevices Posts: 309 Member
    Options
    Interesting how wildly the standard differs by country. I agree that 2500 is far too high. You can customize yours under home>goals>change goals>custom.
  • cupotee
    cupotee Posts: 181 Member
    Options
    Proportionally, i figured it out to be around 1360mg for a 1200 diet. Does thAt sound about right?