Frame Size and Healthy Weight

Options
I found this extremely interesting. Turns out that for my frame size (large) a healthy weight for me is right around 160 for 5'7"

http://www.healthcentral.com/diet-exercise/ideal-body-weight-3146-143.html

The BMI would say I'm still overweight, or close to. I am inclined to lean more towards this, since me at 120 is scary thin. What about you?

Replies

• TS65
    TS65 Posts: 1,024 Member
    Options
    Ideal weight range is 126 - 138.6 lbs. (57.3 - 63 kg.) - I'm 5'5 and my fingers overlap around my wrist. IYep, it sounds about right for me.
  • LolasEpicJourney
    LolasEpicJourney Posts: 1,010 Member
    Options
    I am 5'7 with a huge body frame.
    Ideally I would like to be 155lbs - which on me is VERY thin.
    I find it rediculous that is still on the edge of being overweight - I dont even know that 155 is achievable and maintainable for me. I have a bigger bone structure than my husband who is 6'4.
  • Losingitin2011
    Losingitin2011 Posts: 572 Member
    Options
    Yea, the BMI wants me around 140 ideally, 160 is "overweight". But my fingers don't even touch. There's almost a quarter inch gap. LOL Thanks Mom and Dad for the genetics! They're making weight loss SO much FUN!! :laugh:
  • Losingitin2011
    Options
    I am 5'7 with a huge body frame.
    Ideally I would like to be 155lbs - which on me is VERY thin.
    I find it rediculous that is still on the edge of being overweight - I dont even know that 155 is achievable and maintainable for me. I have a bigger bone structure than my husband who is 6'4.

I think I'm actually going to go more by what this site says than the BMI. I have zero desire to be able to count my ribs and vertebra. My husband is tiny frame wise compared to me!
  • rskidmore
    rskidmore Posts: 212
    Options
    My said that my ideal weight range was between 136 - 149.6 lbs. (61.8 - 68 kg.) which sounds right to me as I I have a medium build. My goal is somewhere around the 135-140 mark.
  • remaho80
    remaho80 Posts: 126 Member
    Options
    Interesting. Your ideal weight range-- 114 - 125.4 lbs - sounds right to me. That's exactly within my goal. I'm nearly 5'3" and my fingers overlap (small frame).
  • Losingitin2011
    Options
    It is sounding more and more like the BMI chart is more designed off of the weight ranges for small framed people. Very interesting.
  • AllyS7
    AllyS7 Posts: 480 Member
    Options
    I didn't realize that I'm a small frame. (my finger's overlap) I've always thought I was 'big boned', when my parents would call me stocky and built like a linebacker....

Shoot, I'm still marginally overweight by this calculator by 4.2 lbs. My ideal weight is 108-118. Haha! My original goal was 125lbs, well I wasn't sure where to go after I got to 125, so I guess I'll shoot for around 118 and then see from there.
  • brndygrl98
    brndygrl98 Posts: 196 Member
    Options
    Mine told me medium frame and 136 to 149. I was really aiming for 150, but I guess I can go 1 more pound down, lol. There's a reason I don't like BMI numbers, they don't take genetics and frame into account! At least this site does address frame size.
  • theresa7576
    theresa7576 Posts: 46 Member
    Options
    "ideal" is different for everyone... but I feel best when i'm very lean. My back and joints don't hurt, I sleep better..I have more energy. My "ideal" puts me at a 19-20 BMI roughly.....however I have a very thin frame. As soon as I start approaching 22 BMI I feel horrible...I can't explain it but maybe I make poor choices in my diet at that weight range. Find your ideal and don't worry about other people...age, height frame all play a MAJOR role in each person's ideal. and FWIW..I checked out that calculator...at the lowest range that it provided me...156; I was 162 when I delivered my daughter...! so I think that thing is off. just my opinion though.
  • NAMsMommy
    NAMsMommy Posts: 132 Member
    Options
    This says I should be between 112 - 123.2. (57ish lb loss to go) OUCH! That is a LONG way to go still.
    Even if I was a "large frame" it would be 122 - 134.2 (45ish lb loss to go) Makes it kinda discouraging to see it that way
  • SoCalSwimmerDude
    SoCalSwimmerDude Posts: 480 Member
    Options
    I've always had really wide shoulders, long arms, etc for a guy... and always known that I'm going to be a bit heavier than "normal" because of this. The nice thing is that my wide shoulders have always hidden my luv handles a little more.
  • Losingitin2011
    Options
    This says I should be between 112 - 123.2. (57ish lb loss to go) OUCH! That is a LONG way to go still.
    Even if I was a "large frame" it would be 122 - 134.2 (45ish lb loss to go) Makes it kinda discouraging to see it that way

Don't stress it! Just think, if you only lose 1 lb a week, and don't really exercise, you'd still be at your ideal in less than a year! And while a year sounds like a long time, it really isn't. Hang in there and stay positive! :-)
  • HaleyAlli
    HaleyAlli Posts: 911 Member
    Options
    Okay, this website tells me my ideal weight is 129.8 lbs. (at the highest)... But then it says I have 117.6 lbs. of lean mass on the body fat calculator... If I lost down to what they want me to, I would be 9% body fat or less according to them, which is DANGEROUSLY low... Not too sure how accurate this is :laugh:
  • Fernandomike
    Fernandomike Posts: 95 Member
    Options
    I think BMI is a lousy way to access a healthy weight for individuals.
  • crystalslight
    crystalslight Posts: 322 Member
    Options
    I did this, being small framed and 5'9 ideal would be 150- 165. When I lost weight after my 4th. I got to 138 and still could have lost a few pounds. I felt GREAT. I wasn't too skinny.
    In my profile pic. I was 150.
    At least it makes the ideal weight seem more easily attainable.
  • ali06013
    ali06013 Posts: 24 Member
    Options
    I didn't realize that I'm a small frame. (my finger's overlap) I've always thought I was 'big boned', when my parents would call me stocky and built like a linebacker....

Shoot, I'm still marginally overweight by this calculator by 4.2 lbs. My ideal weight is 108-118. Haha! My original goal was 125lbs, well I wasn't sure where to go after I got to 125, so I guess I'll shoot for around 118 and then see from there.

The BMI thing and weight to height math confuses me so much...

I weigh 127 right now and I used to weigh 105... Right now, naked, I look like I carry a noticeable amount of extra fat on my hips, thighs, butt... I am 5'3 and I feel like you look skinnier than me at 122.6 pounds than I ever did at 105, and you are even a hair shorter than me... GOOD FOR YOU! :)...BUT...what the hell am I doing wrong? lol

I always thought I had a small frame, but maybe I have a medium frame or something? I guess muscle tone has A LOT to do with the physical appearance of being 'skinny.'
  • Losingitin2011
    Options
    I think BMI is a lousy way to access a healthy weight for individuals.

I agree completely, but it's what the government has decided is the most profitable ;-)

I'm saying screw the BMI, I'm going with a frame system. It is what they used to use before the BMI came into being.

My doc will just be happy to see me under 200! :-)
  • MzBug
    MzBug Posts: 2,173 Member
    Options
    Gee, if I grab my right wrist with my left hand I come up as small frame....if I grab my left wrist with my right hand I come up as a large frame. Guess I go for the medium!
  • BlazedBetty
    BlazedBetty Posts: 31
    Options
    It is sounding more and more like the BMI chart is more designed off of the weight ranges for small framed people. Very interesting.

I think the BMI chart is POS...
    According to your site I am in the higher end of an acceptable weight... but the BMI chart still tells me I am overweight
    According to the site you just gave us my Ideal weight range is 178 - 195.8 lbs. (80.9 - 89 kg.).
    According to the BMI chart at my dr's office... I have to reach 174 before I reach "normal" and that is still the high end.. the I just barely made it out of "overweight" section of the chart

Looking at my body at 188lbs... I like the way I look... I don't think I look overweight anymore, and I'm happy

But I hate quitting before I've reached a goal so I don't really know what to do.... part of me wants to reach a healthy BMI... the other part of me wants to beat up whoever made the daym BMI chart

(oh, and I'm 6ft tall and "medium" framed... although until I did the finger thing I would've guessed I was "large" framed)