sodium vs no sodium

Options
Hey everyone I am learning that I am eating foods that are more healthy but noy that I am looking at it, it seems everything has lots of sodium, like 3 days in a row I went over sodium big time. I eat green beans they are high in sodium, I buy 98% fat free hot dogs they are high in sodium, so where I thought I was doing really good, turns out may be really bad. Does anyone have a suggestion on this or some alternative foods?

Replies

• familygirl37167
    familygirl37167 Posts: 2,088 Member
    Options
    Hey everyone I am learning that I am eating foods that are more healthy but noy that I am looking at it, it seems everything has lots of sodium, like 3 days in a row I went over sodium big time. I eat green beans they are high in sodium, I buy 98% fat free hot dogs they are high in sodium, so where I thought I was doing really good, turns out may be really bad. Does anyone have a suggestion on this or some alternative foods?
  • shorerider
    shorerider Posts: 3,817 Member
    Options
    From the web:

Guidelines to reduce sodium in your diet

Make a gradual transition to using less salt and sodium-reduced products, particularly if you and your family is accustomed to sodium’s distinctive taste.

The best ways to cut back on sodium are to not use salt at the table, use less salt in cooking and avoid processed foods. “Keep in mind that a small amount [of salt] used in cooking may give just enough flavor to help you from adding too much at the table.” There is no reason to over-salt.

Here are some additional guidelines:

1. Fresh is best. Use fresh foods in place of processed foods. Fresh foods actually taste like they are meant to taste. Processed foods often just taste like salt.

2. Opt for frozen. Buy frozen vegetables instead of canned. Most unseasoned frozen veggies have no salt added.

3. Be choosy if buying canned foods. When you buy canned goods, choose the varieties with no salt added or labeled with lower-sodium.

4. Rinse canned beans and vegetables. To reduce the amount of salt in canned beans and vegetables, rinse them in a colander with water.

5. Cut the cured meats. Deli meats, ham and bacon are loaded with sodium. If using, simply add small portions to your meal. Small amounts can still add a lot of flavor.

6. Lower-sodium products. Try some of the lower-sodium products, such as reduced-salt ham or bacon. Even though many lower-sodium foods still contain a high amount of sodium, they still have less than the original products.

7. Salt-free soups. Use salt-free or reduced-salt soups, broth and bouillon. Canned soups are notorious for high sodium levels.

8. Go light on condiments. Loaded with flavor, condiments are also loaded with salt. Use ketchup, mustard and sauces sparingly.

9. Use vinegar or citrus for flavor. Sprinkle vinegar or squeeze lemon or lime juice on fish, chicken or vegetables.

10. Pass on the seasoning salt. Use seasoning powders instead of salts. For example, substitute garlic powder for garlic salt.

11. Generously include herbs and spices in your recipes. Fresh or dried, herbs and spices are not a significant source of sodium. (Give these seven super spices a try.)

12. Try unsalted snack foods. For a change, eat unsalted baked chips, popcorn and whole grain crackers. Pair them with dynamite dips and you won’t miss the salt at all.

13. Reduce the sodium in fast food. When ordering fast food items, forgo the pickles and cheese. You can even order French fries without the salt.
    Quick & Healthy Recipes and Ideas
    The key to cutting the sodium in your diet is to do it gradually while adding other flavorful ingredients to your meals. As you cut the sodium, you will find that many foods don’t even need salt to taste great. Once you get away from sodium, foods that contain high levels of it will taste over-salty when you eat them.
  • heartshapdworld
    heartshapdworld Posts: 323 Member
    Options
    Shorerider posted a great list!

I have found that slowly decreasing the amount of salt in cooking helps get one accostmed to low-sodium food. I buy this chicken buillon paste at Costco that is low-sodium for flavor. I use it in quite a few meals, and it seems to work well for us. I also use a lot of fresh and frozen veggies. Veggies have a great natural taste, and I find that frozen is just as easier (and economical) as canned-but without all the added sodium. Some food I still buy canned, like chicken broth (I buy low sodium), beans (I rinse them) and mushrooms (I rinse them).

Some foods seem to be salty, and when I use them I use a little and do not add any additional salt. For example, the boyfriend likes Queso Cotija (a Mexician cheese that, I think, tastes a little like Paremsan Cheese). I never use salt when I use this cheese in a recipe, because the cheese is salty enough.

The odd thing that I found that work for us, also, is that by increasing the amount of water we drink we have decreased the need for salt. I don't know how that worked out. It was so gradual. I realized this because when the boyfriend stopped drinking water, he started to use the salt shaker again. He hadn't put salt on his food for ages!

I am not perfect though. I made oven french fries, and that happens to be the only thing I put salt on now! However, then I feel slightly sick, so I should really give it up.:grumble:

It is best to withdraw salt slowly, so you all don't miss it. Good Luck!