Ancestry?

Options
2»

Replies

• shorerider
    shorerider Posts: 3,817 Member
    Options
    last name was Robinson.
    Her mother was a Shawcross and was of mostly English and Scottish descent.... I think I need a kilt of my own :tongue:

But yeah now i need a kilt... but which tartan

Robinson, like me (Wilson) is a sept of the Gunn clan (or the Robertson clan on, depends on where in Scotland) http://www.rampantscotland.com/clans/blclangunn.htm (nothing for Shawcross, must be Irish?)

lets see, my mother is 100% Scottish, a McLeod from Orkney i believe, don't think there is anything outside of Scotland in that blood.

My father's mum was English and he was born in Newcatle (but claims to be scottish due to his father being scottish and he has lived all barring the first few weeks of his life in Scotland). My fathers great gran was Norwegian (and a giant apparently).

So, i am Paul Wilson, descendent of Gunni, grandson of Sweyn Asleifsson, the “Ultimate Viking” hero of the Orkneyinge Saga...here me roar :laugh:

A Scot-Viking, huh? Hmmm, so does that mean you hunt down and kill your own wild haggis and eat them raw?:tongue:

Hey Cal,

My great-great grandfather was a shipwreck survivor who washed up on the Outer Banks of North Carolina and stayed there. Anyway, family letters say he was a "Scot Highlander" whose last name was Rolinson (and he seems to have spelled it with 1 L). I haven't been able to find out much on this side of the Ocean as to what clan he might have belonged to--you got any idea there, my hagis-eating MFP brother?
  • chipper15173
    chipper15173 Posts: 3,981 Member
    Options
    my DH's 6th great grandfather is suppose to be Stonewall Jackson. haven't been able to research that far back yet. not many left on his dad's side....:cry: his sister is doing his moms side, which i don't really care about :wink:

chipper
  • butterjoy
    butterjoy Posts: 303 Member
    Options
    HAVE YOU BEEN TO THE JEANNY WILEY PARK IN PRESTONBURG, KENTUCKY? THE PARK WAS NAMED AFTER A LADY CAPTURED BY THE INDIANS AND SOMEHOW ESCAPED. ANYHOW, HER BROTHER IS MY 5th GREAT GRANDFATHER THEREFORE, SHE IS MY 5th GREAT AUNT!! WHAT AN HONOR.

JOY :flowerforyou:
  • MargieM
    MargieM Posts: 2,248 Member
    Options
    My mom was Swiss and German. I was able to trace my Grandmother's family (Johns --> Johnstown, PA) to when they came over from Switzerland in the 1700's, and my Grandfather's family (Schlabach) to Germany when they came in the early 1800's. Amish and Mennonite every one of them.
    My dad came to Canada from Denmark and then to the states when he married my mom. So, he is full Dane. All of his family is still in Denmark. It was harder to trace his family because up until my great-grandfather, their last name was based on their Father's first name. So, children of a man named Jens had the last name of Jensen, Hans = Hansen, Lars = Larsen, and so forth. But the government made them pick a family last name and stick with it.

So, like in the viking thread... I'm a viking pacifist. Crazy huh?
  • jamerz3294
    jamerz3294 Posts: 1,824 Member
    Options
    Wellllllllllllllllllll..................... since ya ask....
    My adopted family's heritage (yes I was adopted as an infant) is mostly Scottish and Italian.
    My genetic heritage (yes, as an adult I was blessed with the miracles of finding both birth mother, and father! So, I have just enough German to be stubborn, just enough Scottish that I look great in a Kilt (Clan MacKay), just enough Dutch that I love to explore, just enough English that my dentist is delighted, and just enough Swedish that my wife is also delighted :love: :devil:
  • yoginimary
    yoginimary Posts: 6,786 Member
    Options
    Slavic & Ukrainian on one side. Irish & French Canadian on the other. I even have a great aunt, who was canonized in my lifetime with a wiki page http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Marguerite_Bourgeoys - not that I inherited any of her saintliness.
  • BEFORE
    BEFORE Posts: 1,291 Member
    Options
    I was raised by wolves.
  • pecksun8
    Options
    I was raised by catholics, a lot like wolves.

My Dad's Mom was born in Poland, my Dad's Dad was from England. My Mom's Mom was Irish, German and My Mom's Dad was Irish and French Canadian.

So another American Mutt.
  • alifelessevident
    Options
    last name was Robinson.
    Her mother was a Shawcross and was of mostly English and Scottish descent.... I think I need a kilt of my own :tongue:

But yeah now i need a kilt... but which tartan

Robinson, like me (Wilson) is a sept of the Gunn clan (or the Robertson clan on, depends on where in Scotland) http://www.rampantscotland.com/clans/blclangunn.htm (nothing for Shawcross, must be Irish?)

lets see, my mother is 100% Scottish, a McLeod from Orkney i believe, don't think there is anything outside of Scotland in that blood.

My father's mum was English and he was born in Newcatle (but claims to be scottish due to his father being scottish and he has lived all barring the first few weeks of his life in Scotland). My fathers great gran was Norwegian (and a giant apparently).

So, i am Paul Wilson, descendent of Gunni, grandson of Sweyn Asleifsson, the “Ultimate Viking” hero of the Orkneyinge Saga...here me roar :laugh:
    I looked deeper into Shawcross and it is originally English- the family name came from an ancient stone cross that stood in the Hiigh Peak forest in the parish of Shacklecross, in Derbyshire. from there a small group ofShawcrosses made their way to western scotland- Argyll county, thats as far as i have been able to find so no tartan for them...

and it bums me out because my last name is Sheppard and their tartan is more occupational, because they never really formed a clan per se that i know of, which fits my family lol. so yeah Robinson= thanks for the website, good info.
  • SoupNazi
    SoupNazi Posts: 4,229 Member
    Options
    I was raised by wolves.
    That, my friend, explains soooooo much!:laugh:
  • jamerz3294
    jamerz3294 Posts: 1,824 Member
    Options
    I was raised by wolves.
    That, my friend, explains soooooo much!:laugh:

Like why he's always sniffing all the guys butts in the Pit? :devil: :laugh: