raw foods diet?

Options
Hi all!

I've recently been reading up on all the health benefits of a raw foods diet, and was wondering if anyone has tried it, and what they think?
It makes sense, we were meant to eat raw foods, our saliva doesn't have the same acidity that carnivores usually have.
But as with any diet that cuts out any food, I am skeptical.
Thoughts??
(preferably from someone with a medical background or someone who has actually tried it)

Replies

• registers
    registers Posts: 782 Member
    Options
    I am familiar with it, I did it for a little bit a while back. Basically everyone who is on raw roods, gets in to complications with their health. I think it said to avoid that you should eat 50% fruits 50% vegetables or something like that.
  • weesharpie
    weesharpie Posts: 18 Member
    Options
    Hi there.

I'm not 100% raw, but I've recently started eating a lot of raw foods. Morning is usually a green or beetroot smoothie, sometimes another for lunch or some fruit and dinner I usually have raw vegetables with a piece of grilled meat.

My tastebuds are now totally different, and I hate cheap chocolate and the texture of regular jelly sweets! I crave fresh fruit. My body knows what's good for it!

I'm currently reading a few books on diet and nutrition, but sadly I'm in the middle of a heap of exams so haven't been able to finish them, but you have the right idea - the enzymes in the raw food help the body to digest it, and then you eat cooked food, the body sees this as a foreign invader and sends cells to attack it!

You've nothing to lose really if you add some more in gradually, an apple instead of a cake.. you'll be surprised at how you're tastebuds change!
  • JohnnyNull
    JohnnyNull Posts: 294 Member
    Options
    It's very silly. The main thrust is that by cooking food, you're breaking down various nutrients. However, what you'll actually find is that the nutrients that remain are much easier for your body to uptake. Ergo, in general, you'll get MORE nutrients after food is cooked.

Also, "we were meant to eat raw foods" is a foolish statement. We are very much not built for raw foods. Our relatively small stomachs should be a good starting point. ;-)

Finally, the "acidity" thing I just don't get. Why would we rely on acidic saliva when our teeth do a fine job? If anything, this is further proof AGAINST the raw food thing. Raw food is harder to break down, so we'd need the acid. ;-)
  • registers
    registers Posts: 782 Member
    Options
    It's very silly. The main thrust is that by cooking food, you're breaking down various nutrients. However, what you'll actually find is that the nutrients that remain are much easier for your body to uptake. Ergo, in general, you'll get MORE nutrients after food is cooked.

Also, "we were meant to eat raw foods" is a foolish statement. We are very much not built for raw foods. Our relatively small stomachs should be a good starting point. ;-)

Finally, the "acidity" thing I just don't get. Why would we rely on acidic saliva when our teeth do a fine job? If anything, this is further proof AGAINST the raw food thing. Raw food is harder to break down, so we'd need the acid. ;-)

Johnny, raw foods are about the enzymes thats the entire catch of it. Cooking the food kills the enzymes