Can anyone advise if this is an 'ok' watch?

Options
http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/Red-Calorie-Fitness-Heart-Rate-Digital-Sports-Watch-/280667940225?pt=UK_Jewelery_Watches_Watches_MensWatches_GL&hash=item41591ce581

I think the time has come for me to really start to monitor and improve my fitness levels (when hill climbing, and at the gym, mainly). I don't want to spend alot at this stage, and wondered if the one I've linked to is just tooooo cheap/basic?

Any advise very welcome :)

Replies

• phinners
    phinners Posts: 524 Member
    Options
    Have a look on Amazon for that make and model and see what reviews there are about it.
  • CassieLEO
    CassieLEO Posts: 757 Member
    Options
    I would take my money and get a good HRM, a Polar is a excellent choice.
  • phinners
    Options
    Actually, dont bother, it doesnt even have the chest strap. How the hell is it suppose to do anything it says without the chest strap?

eta - As with Polar, Sigma is very good also, I have the Sigma PC11 from Amazon, for £20, works a treat
  • katy5692
    katy5692 Posts: 140
    Options
    i've just bought the polar ft4 off amazon for £53.
    I saw that i needed to invest in a quality one... its selling for £70 in argos so i got a bargain
    free delievery off amazon also...

definately get one with a chest strap!
  • iwillsoonbeslim
    Options
    Ah, OK, so you'd all say I deffo need a chest strap? How comfey are they to wear? I'm on the go on and off all day and most evenings, and wouldn't get round to taking it on and off....is it easy/ok to wear it all day?
  • kymarai
    kymarai Posts: 3,631 Member
    Options
    I wear my chest strap every day with no problems. Definitely HRM with chest strap. I have had both. Love the fact with chest strap I don't have to think about anything. Good luck!
  • iwillsoonbeslim
    Options
    Brilliant, thanks....shall go have another Google then :)
  • phinners
    Options
    I wear my chest strap for anything that I now will get me heart rate up - going to a gig, walking to town, working out.

The only thing I would say is first of all you need to wet it underneathe so that the sensors work. Just get some spit on your fingers and wipe it under the chest sensors then wait a moment and it will pick up your heart rate.

ETA - Yes they are comfy, I position mine just below my bra line and dont even know its there half the time
  • iwillsoonbeslim
    Options
    Ahhh, below the braline? I was thinking the'd have to go accross the bust. That sounds much better, thank you :)x
  • marianne_s
    marianne_s Posts: 986 Member
    Options
    I'm not sure if they have Lloyds Pharmacy (chemists) in Scotland (I'm in London) - but I saw one (with a chest strap) in there yesterday for the same price

Here it is online - http://www.lloydspharmacy.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/ProductDisplay?catalogId=1008&storeId=90&productId=360761&langId=-1&parent_category_rn=&top=&top_category=&fromPage=Search&hotspot_prefix=
  • iwillsoonbeslim
    Options
    Aw wow, thanks so much Marianne! We do have Lloyds Pharmacy up here - and there's one just up the street from my work! Guess where I'm going at lunchtime ;)
    I really appreciate you finding that for me, thank you x
  • iwillsoonbeslim
    Options
    I've just phoned and reserved one :D
  • WildWayz
    WildWayz Posts: 68 Member
    Options
    How do the chest straps work? I am a big guy (54" chest) and was wondering if they would fit me
  • marianne_s
    Options
    Aw wow, thanks so much Marianne! We do have Lloyds Pharmacy up here - and there's one just up the street from my work! Guess where I'm going at lunchtime ;)
    I really appreciate you finding that for me, thank you x

not a problem....! That's what we're all here for.....
  • marianne_s
    Options
    How do the chest straps work? I am a big guy (54" chest) and was wondering if they would fit me

The one I'm talking about is only 41 inch long.

But I just googled and there are other makes that do have a 54 inch chest strap. Have a look - http://www.google.co.uk/search?sourceid=chrome&ie=UTF-8&q=54+inch+heart+rate+monitor+chest+strap
  • phinners
    Options
    They often have elastic that goes around the back. Hang on I'll stretch mine out and measure for you
  • phinners
    Options
    Mine will stretch to 60" which should be plenty for you. It's a Sigma PC11 btw

Good luck
  • WildWayz
    WildWayz Posts: 68 Member
    Options
  • cjjones007
    cjjones007 Posts: 602
    Options
    I would take my money and get a good HRM, a Polar is a excellent choice.
    x2 on Cassie's post
    the FT4 is what I have and I wouldn't trade it for anything - far and away the best brand of HRM I've used...
  • iwillsoonbeslim
    Options
    I'm wearing my shiny new HRM with strap and watch :)
    Thanks to all who helped :)
    To Wildwayz, the one linked to above is the one I got (The Lloyd's one), and I'm not sure how big it goes, but it must be way bigger than it says, as I'm around 39/40" underbust, and this would go a good couple of feet bigger. hth x
    Away to climb a hill and play with my new toy!