Hurt my ankle, need some exercises!

Options
Hi everyone! I hurt my ankle yesterday while I was working out. It did not seem too bad at first. BUT, when I woke up to go to work at 9 it was really throbbing. I need some exercies I can do without putting strain on my ankle. I have searched but everyone says swimming. No pool access for me. Also, I was working out with my wii because I do not have a gym membership. And I live in a VERY small apartment with not much room. Any advice is appreciated! Thanks in advance..

Replies

• Fattack
    Fattack Posts: 666 Member
    Options
    Shadowboxing is a great workout :) Hope you heal up soon!
  • Hernandezedw
    Hernandezedw Posts: 284
    Options
    Ab work outs. Crunches, sit ups. Wear an ankle brace if you have one. Push ups on knees. streatching.
  • RedL1988
    RedL1988 Posts: 55
    Options
    shadowboxing? whats that?
  • shtefie
    shtefie Posts: 32
    Options
    Try this youtube video: http://www.youtube.com/user/ExerciseTV#p/search/0/1uz2wY129PM
    Good luck! I hope your ankle feels better soon.
  • Genie30
    Genie30 Posts: 316 Member
    Options
    Pretending to box, like you were punching your shadow. if you have Wii Active, there are some good boxing programmes on there.
  • naturallykat
    naturallykat Posts: 118 Member
    Options
    If you can walk on it okay, try walking.

Otherwise, you can do quite a lot of the wii workouts sitting down, you won't burn so many calories but its better than nothing.

There's lots of strength training which you could do, either working your upper body or just not putting strain on your ankle.

With love from a girl recovering froma broken leg :wink:
  • registers
    registers Posts: 782 Member
    Options
    That's a tough one. The only thing that comes to mind is, situps, and push ups, things like that. If you cycle them with out rest, they will get your heart rate up, and have some sort of cardio effect, but those muscles are small, they can easily get over trained. (to people who are reading this and thinking, the chest is a big muscle yes, but delts and triceps aren't"

You can also use a power band with one leg, but my concern would be, too much stress on your good leg. you can do one legged squats, that would really get your heart rate up, but... once again my concern is weight on your good leg. Possibly something like that. OHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH you can get some light weights, like 5-10pounds... and do circut training with your good muscles for example.....

MIlitary press(put weights at shoulder level and push towards the sky)
    bicep curls
    tricep extensions (hold the weight with both hands with the weight behind your neck, and contract your triceps moving the weight above your head(don't drop it)
    bent over rows (bend over at the waist, put your bad leg on a stool or something. keep your back straight head up, let your arms hang with the weight. and bring the weights to your ribs(works the back))
    do puhsups
    then crunches

repeat this with out rest, your heart rate will be up big time.