Lasagne without guilt!

Options
powers224
powers224 Posts: 5
I love pasta and make a huge lasagne that serves six without too much compromise..the whole thing works out at around 1900 cals, thats the whole tray so each portion is around 450-475 for each..im looking at trying to have a 600 cal evening meal so this is way under that..hurah

to make you need
two Large Carrots
Four Sticks Celery
Two red onions (not white)
3-4 extra bacon medallions - i have also used pork shoulder or pancetta..

Fry this lot of in a teaspoon of butter until very soft, around 7 mins..add a little hot water if it dries out as you go

deglaze the pan with a little white wine..i said a little!!
then add
Two tins of chopped tomatoes plus fill the tin with water and add that too..
Concentrated chicken or beef stock or cube
500gram EXTRA lean mince beef - dont be fooled by labels on some that say Lean...you have to be really careful here, get the EXTRA lean...
You dont need to brown the meat first or any of that nonsense it make no difference at all to the flavour and this is quicker..Just bring that lot to the boil and reduce to a simmer...Now this is the most important bit..You MUST now let this simmer for 3 hours..i have tasted this after an hour and then two and it needs three at least..

During that time add salt and lots of pepper and add a tea spoon of dried chilli flakes...

After 3 hours salt and pepper to taste and add some Worcestershire sauce and balsamic vinegar about a teaspoon of each..

During that time get you large oven proof dish ready and make the sauce..preheat the oven for about 10 mins

for the sauce
100g low fat cheddar cheese
300ml skimmed milk
fresh thyme
tbl spoon mustard
2 tbl spoons corn flour
salt pepper

for the sauce you want to infuse the herbs but not include them when you use the sauce...if you have fresh Thyme this is easy you just simmer the milk with the whole thyme twigs in it and simply take them out after 5 mins..if you dont have fresh just throw some in and then pour the milk through a tea strainer or sieve , you want the flavour but not the bits! while this is happening use a spoon or two of cold milk to mix the corn flour to a paste. Remove the herbs from the sauce and add the cornflour mix bring to boil, then simmer to thicken. Add the grated cheese and mustard...you now have cheese sauce...

Layer the dish starting with a layer of meat sauce then lasagne, meat etc..ending with lasagne..pour over the cheese sauce then put it all in the over on 170c for around 35-40 ..dont burn it..you may have to check after 30mins and foil the top to prevent burning...

Thats it folks..enjoy with a salad........

I cant stress the importance of taking the time to simmer the ragu sauce..but i get it that some people dont have the time to wait..this is a make the day before type of thing really.....

Love P

Replies