Hiking once a week, how do you count that?

Options
Psyb3r
Psyb3r Posts: 176 Member
Hi,
I've added hiking once a week into my weightloss routine. I'm not sure how to put that in my goals though. Each time I go, it takes about 2 hours, but I can't just put work out once a week for 2 hours in my goals because I'm also working out during the week as well. How should I log this?

Also I use Cardio Tracker, to track distance, time, and calories burned.

Replies

• denise980
    denise980 Posts: 296
    Options
    Do you walk uphill? That's what a lot of my hiking is and I log it under "Walking uphill" or "Walking upstairs"

It's best to buy a HRM monitor though. I'm still working on getting one myself.....
  • Psyb3r
    Options
    Do you walk uphill? That's what a lot of my hiking is and I log it under "Walking uphill" or "Walking upstairs"

It's best to buy a HRM monitor though. I'm still working on getting one myself.....

It's very hilly where I go. Almost constantly up and down.
  • rfcollins33
    rfcollins33 Posts: 630
    Options
    I'm pretty sure there is one for hiking. You burn a lot of cals doing it, so you'll love to see the number!!

YEP, hiking is in the database. Have fun!!
  • denise980
    denise980 Posts: 296
    Options
    I'm pretty sure there is one for hiking. You burn a lot of cals doing it, so you'll love to see the number!!

YEP, hiking is in the database. Have fun!!

That's good to know! Now I can log it properly! Thanks for looking :flowerforyou:
  • JoyousRen
    JoyousRen Posts: 3,823 Member
    Options
    Log it under the "exercise" tab. I generally log it as walking at 2.5 mph for the time to be conservative but there is one for hiking.
  • Psyb3r
    Options
    I know that there is a "hiking" option in the exercise tab. I guess that my question is, how to count that in my goals? For example, I say I'm going to work out 4 times a week for 30 minutes. So I use the exercise bike and walk 4 times a week for 30 minutes. Now I want to add hiking to my goal exercise, but I'm not sure how to incorporate it. I hike 1x a week for 2 hours, so do I now list my goals as exercising 5 times a week for 4 hours?
  • Kirsty_UK
    Kirsty_UK Posts: 964 Member
    Options
    I've never worried too much about the weekly exercise goals regarding the hikes I do. I consider my targets to be without that really. For logging the exercise cals, it's largely flat around me, so I stick it down as walking, not hiking, and I work out the speed by how far we've gone in the time. Typically it's around 8 miles in 3 1/2 hrs or so, and for the walking option, that gives me about 1200 calories. I'm not sure I'd believe the hiking calories, unless I really was doing hill walking.