Half Marathon Training

Options
13»

Replies

• lipglossjunky73
    lipglossjunky73 Posts: 497 Member
    Options
    I love Hal Higdon's plans.... They are free on halhigdon.com

I trained for my first half a little loosey goosey. I did a long run every week, a short and a medium run. I completed my half at 2:35

I have a 10k next month and am using run faster run less, and I hope to continue with it for my next 2 halts coming in the fall...
  • bmfrazie
    bmfrazie Posts: 2,391 Member
    Options
    When do you fuel during a run?

I do not fuel during a run because I feel like I don't normally run long enough to need to fuel. However, with me aiming for a HM I think I might look into fueling around the middle of the race (not sure until I get to that point). I always carb load the night before a race and make sure I am hydrated.

I am interested in hearing what others do though.
  • sweetmanjd
    sweetmanjd Posts: 94 Member
    Options
    I've been considering a HM for a while now, so this thread is great motivation.
    I have knees that simply can't take running on concrete (not even for a 5k) so I stick to trails and occasional asphalt for training...my goal is to do the training for a HM even if I don't actually run one on city streets:)
    Has anyone here switched to Vibrams? Any thoughts on them?
  • soccermum75
    soccermum75 Posts: 588 Member
    Options
    Bump for later
  • Cletc
    Cletc Posts: 352
    Options
    )

No, I haven't, but I really LOVE my Cushion shoes ! :blushing:
  • bmfrazie
    Options

I have never heard of them before. Sorry I am no help in that area.
  • bmfrazie
    Options
    Saturday I have my 10k and I am trying to decide what I want to do for my workouts this week.
    I am thinking 5k today, 6 miles tomorrow, 4 miles Wed, 5 miles Thurs, 1-2 miles Friday. I will also have some squats, push ups and sit ups in the mix.

What do you normally do for your workouts the week of a race?
  • Cletc
    Options
    Bump for Atashep (Atashap?) sorry.

Hello!
  • fteale
    fteale Posts: 5,310 Member
    Options
    I've been thinking about nutrition for longer runs, I wouldn't bother for a 10k, but I think I might need something for a half marathon. What do you all do?
  • Cletc
    Options
    I've been thinking about nutrition for longer runs, I wouldn't bother for a 10k, but I think I might need something for a half marathon. What do you all do?

Good question.
    I would like to avoid Gels this time around.
    I think they encourage the urge to potty #2 (sorry, TMI)
  • Cletc
    Options
    I didn't realize there were so many HM topics.
    I've consolidated them into a "Club" Topic.

Please join use here ----> http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/247904-half-marathon-club-and-training
  • Beth720
    Beth720 Posts: 661 Member
    Options
    I've been considering a HM for a while now, so this thread is great motivation.
    I have knees that simply can't take running on concrete (not even for a 5k) so I stick to trails and occasional asphalt for training...my goal is to do the training for a HM even if I don't actually run one on city streets:)

If you do switch, you need to take it VERY SLOWLY. A friend of mine switched a couple of years ago and she JUST ran her first HM distance in them. Her PT had her start with like 5 minutes in them and the rest of the run in something like racing flats. You cannot just jump into them with the mileage you're accustomed to. (Well, you can, but it's not smart.)
  • CanuckLove
    CanuckLove Posts: 673 Member
    Options
    My first one is in October!!! Starting my training clinic next week :)
  • crystalslight
    crystalslight Posts: 322 Member
    Options
    Good luck to all of you with races coming up!! HM are a BLAST!! The only warning I have to give is they are ADDICTING! Enjoy every minute :) I'm starting my training for a full marathon next year. I'm planning on doing a couple HM to get me prepared. It's SO motivating seeing all you runners :)
  • crystalslight
    crystalslight Posts: 322 Member
    Options
    Good luck to all of you with races coming up!! HM are a BLAST!! The only warning I have to give is they are ADDICTING! Enjoy every minute :) I'm starting my training for a full marathon next year. I'm planning on doing a couple HM to get me prepared. It's SO motivating seeing all you runners :)
  • Cletc
    Options

We moved over here.
    Join us !
    http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/247904-half-marathon-club-and-training?page=1#posts-3277857

:laugh: :laugh: :laugh: